St Johnstone vs. Hearts

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Yeh dominate was the wrong word.  I meant more along of the lines of flood it with bodies to get a foothold in the game.  We're not really in the form to dominate anyone right now, I'd be delighted with a shitfest victory.

As would I. 👍

Don't have a good feeling about this one...

Hoping I'm wrong but unless one of our defenders scores, it could a long night of dominating possession and then getting hit on the break. Gnando has a lot to prove as does GMS.

Saturday was arguably our first really poor result of the season and losing a goal so late was a bit of a sickener, so it'll be interesting to see the reaction here. It also feels significant that this is the last game of the first round of fixtures and, after this, we'll either have won the majority of our opening games or failed to do so. If we do win it'll restore some confidence that we're in the top 3/4 to stay, while if we get a poor result/performance people will start to reassess how good our start has actually been.

I thought we generally played well on Saturday - in line with our usual level of performance this season - and from back to middle we are definitely miles better than last season. As others have said, final ball/decision-making in the final third has been an issue and if Boyce is missing for this then that problem looks significantly worse. I actually don't think he suits the system we play especially well, but Gnanduillet's risible substitute appearance on Saturday showed he's far better than the current alternative. 

I've only seen St Johnstone in the European games this season but I'd be quite confident they're much better than their current position suggests and it's been so long since we've won at McDiarmid that it feels like 3 points would be a real achievement. I can see a frustrating game where they let us have the majority of the ball but we struggle to break them down, so a 1-0 either way or a low-scoring draw feels like the best bet.

I still remember a 2-2 draw in our first few games after promotion where Martin Hardie scored a last minute equaliser.

I’d been out all weekend and only stopped drinking 10 minutes before entering, can’t remember why it was a Sunday match, but I had no energy to even celebrate the equaliser. Pretty much stood up, hands in air then sat down again.

Feels like these games at McDiarmid always see plenty of goals or excitement tbh, although the 1-0 slogfest that saw Levein punted was one of the worst games of football I've ever seen at any level in my life.

Stevie May seems able to feast off John Souttars soul and regain some of his 2014 swag too, so a 3-2 Saints with with a May hat trick seems a solid bet.

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Feels like these games at McDiarmid always see plenty of goals or excitement tbh, although the 1-0 slogfest that saw Levein punted was one of the worst games of football I've ever seen at any level in my life.

Stevie May seems able to feast off John Souttars soul and regain some of his 2014 swag too, so a 3-2 Saints with with a May hat trick seems a solid bet.

I feel like this fixture at McDiarmid in the last decade has been 80% soul-destroying, could've-played-all-day-and-not-scored 1-0 defeats and 20% 3-3 draws.

6 hours ago, DC92 said:

I feel like this fixture at McDiarmid in the last decade has been 80% soul-destroying, could've-played-all-day-and-not-scored 1-0 defeats and 20% 3-3 draws.

The 3-3 draws have always been hilarious and involved absolutely wild refereeing decisions (I’m still furious at Steven Anderson’s red card for “denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity” with a tackle more or less in front of the dugouts on a guy heading to the corner flag) - so more of that tonight please.

We need Davidson back in the team every week if we can - and ideally showing the performances he was putting in in the European games where he was a man possessed. I’d also be starting May tonight because he just has a thing for scoring against John Souttar.

Clark

Ambrose Gordon McCart

MOH Bryson Davidson Craig Booth

Kane May

8 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

The 3-3 draws have always been hilarious and involved absolutely wild refereeing decisions (I’m still furious at Steven Anderson’s red card for “denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity” with a tackle more or less in front of the dugouts on a guy heading to the corner flag) - so more of that tonight please.

We need Davidson back in the team every week if we can - and ideally showing the performances he was putting in in the European games where he was a man possessed. I’d also be starting May tonight because he just has a thing for scoring against John Souttar.

Clark

Ambrose Gordon McCart

MOH Bryson Davidson Craig Booth

Kane May

Looking at that team, I’m actually a little surprised you lot aren’t higher in the league. 

47 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Looking at that team, I’m actually a little surprised you lot aren’t higher in the league. 

We haven’t really got going since the European games, aside from our two matches against Dundee. No consistency in selection due to injury/suspension/transfers on deadline day probably hasn’t helped. If we can get back to a more settled line up I’d hope we can move upwards rather than be looking over our shoulder in coming weeks.

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

We haven’t really got going since the European games, aside from our two matches against Dundee. No consistency in selection due to injury/suspension/transfers on deadline day probably hasn’t helped. If we can get back to a more settled line up I’d hope we can move upwards rather than be looking over our shoulder in coming weeks.

hoping hearts get the win here against a more than decent  St.Johnstone team.

9 hours ago, DC92 said:

Since we last won there in the league St Johnstone have six  1 nil wins, a 2-1 and a 2-0.

There have been 2 0-0s, 2 2-2s and 2 3-3s.

All to say your feelings might not have been statistically on the money but pass the estimation test very well.

Edited by Insert Amusing Pseudonym

Are Hearts as bad as Hibs for the "teams like St Johnstone" patter? I thought they were but so far everybody seems pretty level headed. 

No place for that. Should be beating teams like Hearts IMO

11 minutes ago, deej said:

Are Hearts as bad as Hibs for the "teams like St Johnstone" patter? I thought they were but so far everybody seems pretty level headed. 

Generally, we are but as a collective are so traumatised by the words McDiarmid Park that an absolute shitfest of a 1 nil victory is viewed as akin to scaling the North face of the Eiger.

36 minutes ago, deej said:

Would be daft to get over-confident about going to a place where we have struggled for years. In answer to your question, no other support on the planet is quite as deluded about their place in the grand scheme of things, as Hibs fans.

Some Hertz fans have been clamouring for Woodburn to be be left out.

It's true that he's been relatively ineffective, and picked up a silly booking on Saturday, but I would keep him in - especially if Boyce is missing. 

It hasn't really been happening for him, but Woodburn is clearly a decent player, and I think he helps to keep the ball moving in the right direction for us. 

Widdy rules.

It does feel like there could be a few changed in the Hertz lineup tonight, mind.