Dopesick

jimmy boo

Never mind Batman, it's got Rosario Dawson in it!  :wub:

Michael Keaton was in a video that John Oliver did about this a couple of years ago, so I wonder if this show was already in the pipeline then.

(there are Opioids I + III videos too, and they're all worth watching)

The Sacklers (now ex-Purdue Pharma) just walked away 

Quote from BBC article

A US judge has approved a bankruptcy plan for the maker of OxyContin painkillers, shielding its wealthy owners the Sacklers from further legal action over their roles in America's opioid epidemic.

Under the deal, Purdue Pharma agreed to pay $4.5bn (£3.3bn) to settle lawsuits related to the crisis.

Sackler family members will also give up control of the drugmaker.

But they also have immunity from future lawsuits, despite strong opposition.

Not bad, eh?

yet in one case 

Allen Russell from Mississippi got LIFE for possession of 30 gms of cannabis .....

because he was deemed a habitual offender..

at least he wasn't shot

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 04/01/2022 at 22:55, Honest_Man#1 said:

Just finished this. Infuriating and depressing in equal measure, but a great series. Would highly recommend.

Absolutely agree - I'd add that it makes the idea of emulating US Society even more ludicrous. I'm currently reading the book which this was based on - the events in the Series only take up the first quarter of the book. I'm halfway through atm and believe me, it gets no less bleak. I'm loath to say I want to see another season of the TV show*, but this is a story that needs telling, and books just don't seem to reach enough people**.

*In the way that I feel uncomfortable in saying I want to visit Auschwitz. I feel a duty to bear witness, but question whether there is a ghoulish side to me if I say I want to go there, if that makes sense?

** Yeah, I know, young folk and their screens, nobody reads any more, attention spans of goldfish, etc., etc., etc. ***

Spoiler

king-and-i.jpg.9162580191d236940416c60c01e952ec.jpg

We finally finished this last night. Thought Kaitlyn Dever was superb as Betsy, and Rosario Dawson as the obsessive investigstor.

Amazing that the Sackler family, as vile as they were, weren't even the worst people in it. The folk at the FDA, and the US Attorney, who let the stuff slide in return for cushy high paid jobs with Purdue were absolutely disgusting.