Hamilton v Queens

I'm absolutely sick and tired of Queens right now.
This is our fourth straight season of scrambling around at the bottom of the table.
There is very little about this side that's remotely attractive.

While accepting the scale of the re-building challenge every close season watching Queens over past few years has been soul destroying. Even with 40 goal Dobbie and £2m Dykes we finished 9th just ahead of a dreadful Falkirk team. There’s nothing remotely exciting that’s for sure.

One point and one goal from three games against teams around about us.  We should have been looking at 7 points from those fixtures.

AJ will likely blame the conditions tonight but they were the same for both sides.   Once again his substitutions were mystifying - Connelly was the only forward to make any impression before he was hooked.  I defended Cochrane on Saturday but he was an empty shirt tonight and I'm not sure what if anything Liddle contributed to the team.  Gibson looked like the only player busting a gut for us.  We couldn't deal with Smith all night and Ryan showed all the qualities we are lacking and swung the game after he came on.

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm absolutely sick and tired of Queens right now.

This is our fourth straight season of scrambling around at the bottom of the table.

There is very little about this side that's remotely attractive.

Exactly the same number of points as last season after 11 games.  I was going to say that I’m rapidly losing interest but I don’t even watch the live updates any more. Just check the result once it has finished.

Needed that, really thought it wasn't going to happen as it seemed Mullin couldn't hit the target to save his life. 

Easton was terrific tonight, far and away the man of the match, his early clearance was as valuable as a goal.

Think Queens is going to be our Voodoo team this season, needing them just now to survive.

On to Morton where defeat would undo this hard work.

Edited by Laid-back Accie

8 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Wholesale changes required starting with Gibson back to RB - Need to find somebody who can make things happen in midfield as that part of the team is miles off the pace. Not surprising that we never come back from 0-1 as we showed little or no urgency to get equaliser in fact Accies looked more likely to extend lead.

Unfortunately I don't think we can afford to make the most obvious change that is required thanks to that contract award.

We did well in spells. Aside from Partick, we've been ticking away quite nicely recently but haven't managed to maintain it for 90 minutes and often haven't turned dominant streaks into goals. It seemed like tonight was gonna be similar but the cream always rises to the top IMO.

Please let now be the time that Lewis Smith kicks on as he's been threatening to do it all season but drops two or three clangers immediately after. Get him fitter and work on his decision making and we're onto a winner.

We really do look toothless. I wrote on another thread that we usually have a once-a-season strong run of results that just keeps us out of trouble. Don't see where that's going to come from within this team. Or not with the lineups being put out so far this season.

Poor display tonight. Our 4-4-2 shape didnt work and you could have driven a bus through our midfield & defence 1st half. Max Johnston to his credit cleared a couple off the line, but he doesnt move past his own half way line, so offers nothing going forward. His inclusion on a weekly basis will turn more fans against the manager. Ally Roy spent most of the night tracking back to cover their right back. Soares was decent when he came on and was much more effective than Cameron.
Overall, poor in midfield and upfront. We look better in a 3-5-2 shape and Gibson and Cooper look best 2 players for those wing-back positions. Was good to see Todd on the pitch, but he didnt get long enough to influence the game. Nditi our best player once he went to left back from midfield.
Its going to be a long, hard (to watch) season

1 minute ago, TERREGLES1919 said:

Surprised no one has thought why Euan East isn't featuring at all now this season with just the odd cameo sub appearance!

I have wondered, but there are so many other questions to be asked about team selection and formations, he's just slipped down the list!!

Johnston's tombola selection pairs Liddle and Cochrane in midfield, I sincerely hope I never see them paired together again. The room that Hamilton had in the middle of the park was criminal. I think the majority were happy to see Roy on the starting line up, our top scorer, and of course Johnston plays him more as a midfielder tonight. People blaming the conditions but we just looked lethargic and it looked like most of them didn't know what they were supposed to be doing. We bucked up a bit when Todd and Paton came on but in truth if the Hamilton players had a bit of composure in front of goal we could have been 4 goals down before half time. How they missed some of those shooting chances is a mystery, not to mention young Johnston heading one off the line. I can't think of anyone who deserved pass marks tonight, it was just eye bleeding stuff. At least it's made my mind up for me, I'll be giving Kilmarnock a miss on Saturday after that display. 

The fans have lost patience with AJ unfortunately now but with him sitting on a 2 year deal I’m not sure the BOD will make any changes soon that’s despite 7 defeats from our first 11 league games. 

We’ve some cracking young players in the squad but for whatever reason it’s just not working. Has he lost the changing room already ? 

23 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

The fans have lost patience with AJ unfortunately now but with him sitting on a 2 year deal I’m not sure the BOD will make any changes soon that’s despite 7 defeats from our first 11 league games. 

We’ve some cracking young players in the squad but for whatever reason it’s just not working. Has he lost the changing room already ? 

Whatever but the bottom line is that Johnston is not getting the best from the talented squad of players recruited and that is simply not good enough.

Do we actually have a talented squad though?

I am beginning to wonder. I thought it looked promising at start of season but far too many players not performing :-

- Johnston looks out of his depth and WG to RB is an obvious solution as it would be the springboard for several other good changes
- Cochrane not influencing games and Liddle looks pedestrian and miles off Bristol Rovers standard (hence why he is here)
- I would prefer to see us persevere with McGrory despite his inconsistency
- East looked very promising at CB and needs to come into contention for a return
- Of the forwards only Connolly performing.A centre forward who basically can’t strike a shot cleanly is not going to last long and Ruben for all his effort and decent link up play will have to learn this very very basic skill or be discarded quickly. Cameron hasn’t impressed me in any of his games yet. Roy buzzes about and at least he looks as though he might score goals. Not sure what to make of Paton
- on the positive we have two decent keepers
- Nditi is an excellent player with a great attitude. Is probably too versatile for his own good

No doubt that changes required for Killie game but like you I am beginning to wonder just how talented this squad actually is?

40 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I am beginning to wonder. I thought it looked promising at start of season but far too many players not performing :-

- Johnston looks out of his depth and WG to RB is an obvious solution as it would be the springboard for several other good changes
- Cochrane not influencing games and Liddle looks pedestrian and miles off Bristol Rovers standard (hence why he is here)
- I would prefer to see us persevere with McGrory despite his inconsistency
- East looked very promising at CB and needs to come into contention for a return
- Of the forwards only Connolly performing.A centre forward who basically can’t strike a shot cleanly is not going to last long and Ruben for all his effort and decent link up play will have to learn this very very basic skill or be discarded quickly. Cameron hasn’t impressed me in any of his games yet. Roy buzzes about and at least he looks as though he might score goals. Not sure what to make of Paton
- on the positive we have two decent keepers
- Nditi is an excellent player with a great attitude. Is probably too versatile for his own good

No doubt that changes required for Killie game but like you I am beginning to wonder just how talented this squad actually is?

Brilliant post