Next Cowdenbeath Manager

Interesting to see Ross get a gig.

It's pretty difficult to judge his time at Motherwell tbh as Craigan had left after a cycle that saw players like Turnbull, Campbell, Scott and Hastie break into the first team (and make us a lot of money). He was asked to come in and fill some pretty big (and successful) shoes given Craigan had won the Youth Cup and we'd seen a lot of those players at least make first team debuts.

As it stands only 3 of the group Ross was working with are still at the club although the pandemic reduced the opportunity for a lot of those players to develop to pretty much zero.

He came in at the start of a new cycle of academy players but the Reserve league was an absolute shitshow and then with Covid happening his Academy role effectively became redundant so he was drafted in to working as a first team coach.

He definitely talked a good game and initially came across well in the in depth interview he did with the MFC Podcast:  https://www.mfc1886.com/tag/maurice-ross/

I don't know if it was just the case that when he was just in the door he kept himself to himself but the longer he was at the club he started getting a platform on Sportsound and the like which led to him opening his mouth in public. Robinson ended up having to apologise for comments Ross made about Celtic (link) and he also managed to put St Mirren's nose out of joint too (link).

As others have mentioned his whole racism controversy showed him up badly, there's really no getting away from that. He's also very staunch, annoyingly so tbh...

There's an Open Goal interview he did with Si Ferry here:

Edited by capt_oats

8 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

The Notts County players were going to go on strike if he wasn't sacked. He resigned before the sacking could happen.  He was then invited on to Sportsound to explain himself (which was a disgrace in itself)  and completely made a fool of himself, by calling his own children 'foreign'.

The guys an arsehole, even before he was found out to be a racist.  See my posts on the sportsound watch thread dated 10/03/21 & 08/05/21

Good luck. I'm out.

I’m quite sure your done worse in your life.

Don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Kudos to the board in putting this new management team in place and by doing so have have made another signature statement along with the signing of Bucks and O'Connor about their intentions regarding direction of travel for the club. I always found it baffling that, under Bollan, along with his many faults about tactics, selections and substitutions the players did not seem to develop at all. Maurice and Scott, as well as having management experience have a coaching background l and so I would expect to see some development happening with the players. Welcome to The Blue Brazil to the two of them. Onwards and upwards mes amis.

27 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

I really hope Ross can have a positive influence on Harvey Swann.  He's the most promising attacking player we have so hopefully he instills some confidence in him.

Just picking him would be a good start, but yeah, I think Harvey maybe needs to decide if he is serious about giving it a real go now. He looks like he needs to tone up a bit. Also Robbie could do with a pep talk. He is capable of playing much better than he does. It's like he has lost the belief in himself. He is only 25. He is good enough to play at a higher level if he believes in himself and gives 100% all the time.

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

There's an Open Goal interview he did with Si Ferry here:

Just listened to this.  A lot of chat about Rangers obviously but the last 5 minutes or so he speaks about his managerial philosophy and what he thinks he can bring to a club.  A lot of work will be done on having the players in the right spot on the pitch.  Ensuring they are disciplined and as much as he'd like to play passing football he knows if you only have players for hoof ball then he'll work on a tactic to make that work.

Obviously he could be chatting pish there but it gives me hope that he's not a complete idiot :lol: 

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

Just listened to this.  A lot of chat about Rangers obviously but the last 5 minutes or so he speaks about his managerial philosophy and what he thinks he can bring to a club.  A lot of work will be done on having the players in the right spot on the pitch.  Ensuring they are disciplined and as much as he'd like to play passing football he knows if you only have players for hoof ball then he'll work on a tactic to make that work.

Obviously he could be chatting pish there but it gives me hope that he's not a complete idiot :lol: 

If he has seen us play, then hopefully he will realise (unlike Bollan) that we don't have the players to play hoofball. At least he seems ready to go with a formation that suits the ability of the players available, rather than impose one.

If he has seen us play, then hopefully he will realise (unlike Bollan) that we don't have the players to play hoofball. At least he seems ready to go with a formation that suits the ability of the players available, rather than impose one.

Harvey is the classic example. On his day he can go through a defence like a knife through butter. However, when he doesn’t have the ball he looks lost.

From what I see I actually think overall our team could be fitter it was evident against Annan we were not as sharp. Bollan relied heavily on the same 11-13 players week in week out that can be poor management as some boys need taken out the side now and again e.g Bucks earlier in season was so sharp in front of goal and previously in his years at alloa he wasnt starting every week thus his body just now probs wont be used to the amount of games he has played. Naturally that sharpness could go with fatigue.

Our other issue is our full backs are defensive full backs the modern name now requires full backs to be an attacking outlet and ours just isnt. They have no pace so if caught forward we are very easily counter attacked exposing barr/todd or o connor.

I think it will be next season but I think this is an area ross as a former positive full back will look to address. 

Lack of pace in our team for me is our biggest killer both offensively and defensively.

Will be interesting to see what tweaks or changes ross makes (probs not for tomorrow as perhaps too soon) but for games after this.

MONE THE COWDEN