Morton vs Thistle - Tuesday 26th October 2021

The amazing thing is that, with only 1 (ONE!) win in 11 games, we aren’t isolated at the bottom and are still more or less hanging in there. Dunfermline have 7 points, we have 8, Queens 10, Hamilton 11 and Ayr 12..  Five, count ‘em, five crap teams fighting to avoid the drop. Twenty-five games left, Covid permitting, so a lot can happen yet…….. but migawd we need to start scoring goals…….

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

Not got much to say about the game. Rotten. Morton could have, not undeservedly, snatched it at the finish. 

On the way down I was unfortunate to hear a conversation a Morton steward was having. They weren't exactly quiet.

Seems they were looking forward to preventing Thistle fans from gaining entry the ground. "I stopped four last time and if they think they are getting past me tonight they've another thing coming". 

Sums up the approach of some, but not all, stewards. Imagine relishing exerting what little authority you perceive you have. Sad life. 

Mind you, might have done them a favour tonight. 

It wasn't completely dreadful. Pretty open game added a little entertainment which is more than we've had for the rest of the season so far.

Unlucky not to nick it at the end.

Nothing new here but McLean Blues Oliver are fucking rotten and Reilly isn't doing himself any favours since he got here either...

Thought Russell was good and Lyon in spells. Oksanen decent as well and unlucky with the ball he fizzed across the face of goal.

Scoring 10 goals in 2 games followed by scoring 0 goals in the next 2 games probably sums up our season. Wildly inconsistent.

No complaints about the result. Morton were better than expected, and had far more of a go than they did in the reverse fixture a few weeks back. The longer the game went on, the more likely they looked to grab the winner.

Second game in a row where we look pretty devoid of ideas. If Tiffoney can’t beat his man then we just lump the ball up the pitch repeatedly, which often plays into the hands of defenders at this level. And McCall’s attempt at a solution is to swap wingers and replace Graham with the woefully out of his depth Ross McIver - not good enough. Of our players, I was probably most impressed with Sneddon, which tells you everything you need to know about our performance tonight.

Edited by Nightmare

Think we did okay and we may have lucked into our best formation. If we start on Saturday with the team that finished tonight then I'd be happy with that.

We're no closer to solving our attacking problems but simply sticking with a formation for more than two games might help in gaining some understanding in the final third. There is decent potential for midfield runs coming from Lyon in that line up and the full backs would support with more confidence playing in our shape over time. No matter what happens, I think we now need to just stick with this for four or five games instead of chopping and changing any further. 

Other than one great chance at the death, our set pieces are hopeless though and really need to be worked on. If you're going to shitfest at this level then you need to be dominating the set piece side of the game to get enough wins to survive. Partick like everyone else looked more threatening from our own corners never mind their own.

Tiffoney probably gave us the most problems tonight but we kept Ridden and Graham quiet which is a positive. Having Jacobs in front of the back four was crucial in breaking up that service. Other than Hamilton's bizarre face save towards the end he didn't have to do anything dramatic to keep a clean sheet.

McPherson must have both the lowest win rate and the highest draw rate as a Morton manager. Tonight is only acceptable if we actually beat Hamilton on Saturday - otherwise it's pretty much useless. 

Edited by vikingTON

Normally i would be thinking we played the two worst teams in the league and only came away with 2pts. But when you look at results as per in the Championship there is no easy games. The question of "Can you do it on a cold wet night on a Tuesday down in Greenock" has been answered. This team ain't good enough to challenge. We will possibly scrape a play off but i don't hold out much hope for this season. Could be worse though, we could be struggling down the bottom so won't moan too much.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

And McCall’s attempt at a solution is to swap wingers and replace Graham with the woefully out of his depth Ross McIver - not good enough. 

Didn't know that haddy was somehow still conning a game at this level. Although we've given four fucking contracts to Robbie Muirhead in the same time period.

12a4n8.jpg.f9796768529dbd8d383777ce1ae6d81b.jpg

Overall a boring game, I’d say a point a piece was fair. Morton looked a lot better than last time we played. First half we at least had some energy about us but lacked an end product.
I thought we were honking in the second half, lumped it forward on far too many occasions and looked devoid of ideas at times.

Lucky not to have conceded at the end, so I’ll take the clean sheet but it’s two goalless draws where we haven’t looked good in either. Better needed for Saturday.

Edited by R&Y99

Jack Hamilton dealt with everything thrown at him - he has been an excellent signing and so far no sign of any glaring errors.  Reece Lyon did well in midfield when the ball wasn't flying over his head.  Mark Russell gives us some creativity.  Up from we really need the physical presence of big Gozie but he always seems to be injured - much like last season at Raith.  Our other strikers aren't doing much - Reilly has done nothing much yet.  Not sure about Knowles yet.  At least the fairly dreadful Muirhead didn't get any game time.

our goal for column tells the story.  We have lost 5 out of 11 games; Queens have lost 7 but they sit above us because we are drawing games where a win might be possible.  We really need to start winning games and that requires us to score a goal.

15 hours ago, The Firhill Frozen Pie said:

Normally i would be thinking we played the two worst teams in the league and only came away with 2pts. But when you look at results as per in the Championship there is no easy games. The question of "Can you do it on a cold wet night on a Tuesday down in Greenock" has been answered. This team ain't good enough to challenge. We will possibly scrape a play off but i don't hold out much hope for this season. Could be worse though, we could be struggling down the bottom so won't moan too much.

Very much this. Losing Brownlie at the start was a big blow. Start of the season was defined by gk errors and tbf since we've done OK. Cappielow is always a hard game for us. All looks much rosier winning on Saturday

On 26/10/2021 at 21:48, Rudolph Hucker said:

The amazing thing is that, with only 1 (ONE!) win in 11 games, we aren’t isolated at the bottom and are still more or less hanging in there. Dunfermline have 7 points, we have 8, Queens 10, Hamilton 11 and Ayr 12..  Five, count ‘em, five crap teams fighting to avoid the drop. Twenty-five games left, Covid permitting, so a lot can happen yet…….. but migawd we need to start scoring goals…….

In a dog fight for sure, but I think Morton will draw their way to safety (either through playoff or one place above). Going to the match v Hamilton on Saturday, but after being there midweek I'm not sure I'd be confident of 3 points. Morton look stale at the moment. Real lack of quality even for that division.