Pars v Rovers

Christ folk are making it sound like we're going with throwing in a bunch of 16 year olds for any missing players. Using Vaughan and Musonda as examples of missing players is pointless considering we've been without the former since the 1st game of the season and the latter since last season - we've coped fine thus far. The biggest blow tonight is Matthews and only Matthews. Pop, who had a tremendous game when he came on against ICT, is fine for Varian and Lang is a more than capable player to play alongside Berra. What's the fucking worry here?

Edited by Raithie

I certainly wouldn't be worried playing against us. We are so shite. You'll maybe struggle to break us down as we like to sit back a bit these days, but we are completely toothless up front. If you lose tonight, then you lot should be fucking embarrassed. 

19 hours ago, buchan30 said:

No sure if this is the right place, but i have 2 (Raith) adult and a kids ticket for sale for tomorrow at face value. My kids have kindly passed on the lurgy to me. If you are interested. Give me a shout.

2 minutes ago, Raith's12Man said:

Anyone not able to make it and have a spare away end ticket for tonight? TIA

See above post. Might be worth a try.

2 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

We're fairly solid at the back. Connolly has made a massive difference and I'd be keen to keep him longer than January. Make no mistake that there's been huge improvements defensively, also OFW is in a rich vein of form, pulling off some really top drawer saves and collecting a good number of clean sheets

The improvement in defence isn't down to Connolly, it's down to the change in formation, which saw instant improvements in the Hamilton and Inverness games, which were before Connolly signed. We've actually conceded in every game Connolly has played, except for Saturday. He's been decent (Watson and Gaspuitis were/are too), but the defence has still been giving away silly chances (first half against Raith especially, and there were a couple on Saturday), although they did that in the Hamilton and Inverness games as well. But overall the defence has improved significantly since the chance in formation, and Connolly has looked decent/solid in there.

OFW really has improved. He's been pulling off some great saves (another one at the weekend!) and seems like a totally different player to the howler prone tit we had last season.

Connolly seems to organise the defence which is very important. I don’t think he’s particularly quick but I think it’s crucial to have a leader at the back who does the simple stuff well.

We’ve clearly improved since Grant panicked and abandoned his suicidal tactics. It’s still a long way off being acceptable ofc.

Fair play to OFW as well, he’s certainly regained the No 1 spot, albeit Mehmet made the task a lot easier.

We're fairly solid at the back. Connolly has made a massive difference and I'd be keen to keep him longer than January. Make no mistake that there's been huge improvements defensively, also OFW is in a rich vein of form, pulling off some really top drawer saves and collecting a good number of clean sheets. It's middle to front we're struggling with. The weird thing is we do have 3 good strikers but the chances for them is limited. Hopefully Iain Wilson being back in the middle will make a big impact for us. 

We kept 2 clean sheets in Watson’s last 2 games (the 2 games before we brought in Connolly). Saturday was the first clean sheet we’ve managed with Connolly in the team, so it’s definitely a stretch to attribute those clean sheets/improved defensive solidity to him. We changed to a back 4 and looked more secure defensively before Connolly came in and that’s what made the difference.

I honestly haven’t seen us much lately. The last Raith game (Connolly’s debut) was the last game I attended. So I can’t comment on his performances, but given he seems to have been solid enough, I’d also be pleased if we extended his deal.

The change in shape may have sorted the defence, but as you mention, it’s nullified our attack. I think an extra man in midfield is required, to ensure we can do more with possession, rather than punts up the park. We have players capable of playing decent football and picking passes, but we don’t have a system that allows them the time/space to do that. Most teams in this league play 3 in midfield and that leaves our 2 totally overrun. Having said all that, I’d still like to see us go with O’Hara and Wighton up top tonight. They caused problems in the second half at Starks.

I'd go Poplatnik up top, with Zanatta left, Ross in behind as a 10 and Connolly right. No point putting Zanatta up top as he won't win headers and Poplatnik will hold up the ball better. Ross pace and directness will cause them bother especially if he sits in the hole between their defence and midfield. I'd go 4-2-3-1. Also probably means they would struggle to double up on Zanatta. 

3 hours ago, CallumPar said:

We kept 2 clean sheets in Watson’s last 2 games (the 2 games before we brought in Connolly). Saturday was the first clean sheet we’ve managed with Connolly in the team, so it’s definitely a stretch to attribute those clean sheets/improved defensive solidity to him. We changed to a back 4 and looked more secure defensively before Connolly came in and that’s what made the difference.

I honestly haven’t seen us much lately. The last Raith game (Connolly’s debut) was the last game I attended. So I can’t comment on his performances, but given he seems to have been solid enough, I’d also be pleased if we extended his deal.

The change in shape may have sorted the defence, but as you mention, it’s nullified our attack. I think an extra man in midfield is required, to ensure we can do more with possession, rather than punts up the park. We have players capable of playing decent football and picking passes, but we don’t have a system that allows them the time/space to do that. Most teams in this league play 3 in midfield and that leaves our 2 totally overrun. Having said all that, I’d still like to see us go with O’Hara and Wighton up top tonight. They caused problems in the second half at Starks.

I wasn't attributing them to Connolly, more OFW. Connolly has still made an improvement in terms of organisation but it's a well done for everyone in the defence as far as I'm concerned.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysAPar said:

Just realised that on Sunday there we passed the 6 month anniversary of our last league win. This surely has to be some kind of club record, at least out with the premiership?

Would be quite the minter if rovers ended this streak

Still have nightmares about the 99/2000 season where we obliged Clydebank their second and last win that season (and yeah  was about or 6 months between wins for them)

18 minutes ago, AlwaysAPar said:

Just realised that on Sunday there we passed the 6 month anniversary of our last league win. This surely has to be some kind of club record, at least out with the premiership?

It’s go happen bro lol.  Iv got my sense of humour ready for it ha. 

56 minutes ago, AlwaysAPar said:

It's happening. It's the way of things. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

Still have nightmares about the 99/2000 season where we obliged Clydebank their second and last win that season (and yeah  was about or 6 months between wins for them)

Worse than that, it was their only win that season.