Pars v Rovers

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

That sounds horrendous.

You’ve hurt my feelings now. My pal was bequeathed that bugle from his Grandad (RIP sweet Prince) who used to sit up the top of the South Stand and sound the bugle every time we attacked. It was very much appreciated by all the Starks faithful.

In fact, the only time I can recall a similar vibe at Starks was after the 2010 World Cup when some adventurous people decided what Starks was missing were some vuvuzelas. Whatever happened to them? Maybe those fans can dig them out.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

You’ve hurt my feelings now. My pal was bequeathed that bugle from his Grandad (RIP sweet Prince) who used to sit up the top of the South Stand and sound the bugle every time we attacked. It was very much appreciated by all the Starks faithful.

In fact, the only time I can recall a similar vibe at Starks was after the 2010 World Cup when some adventurous people decided what Starks was missing were some vuvuzelas. Whatever happened to them? Maybe those fans can dig them out.

I'm just trying to imagine all of that at a QoS v Raith game whilst the Palmerston faithful swing their rattles.  A sound to behold.

Lang is an interesting case. We signed him from Clyde where he had a fantastic reputation. He looked decent enough in the limited time that we saw him (one Challenge Cup game I think) but then headed back on loan to Clyde without playing again for us. He then signed for the Rovers and a similar story seems to have emerged -barely, if ever, played. I wonder if there is something there to exploit.

Who am I kidding? We don't comcede many goals these days (Killie game notwithstanding) but we still do concede chances - luckily Fón Williams is in a good spell of form right now - and we don't create much going forward. Too many of our better players look well short of fitness and confidence and if Wilson doesn't play then our central midfield is as weak as wet kitchen roll. I can only see a 0-0 or a 1-0 away win. I might not even bother going to the game and I'd never usually miss a Fife Derby.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Lang is an interesting case. We signed him from Clyde where he had a fantastic reputation. He looked decent enough in the limited time that we saw him (one Challenge Cup game I think) but then headed back on loan to Clyde without playing again for us. He then signed for the Rovers and a similar story seems to have emerged -barely, if ever, played. I wonder if there is something there to exploit.

Lang has been unlucky with us. He got injured preseason and has had to watch Benedictus and Berra form a decent partnership. 

He's started a couple of games away from home when we've played three centre backs and done fine and he looked decent enough on Saturday when he came on in difficult circumstances. 

This will be a test for him though. 

Who are you all kidding? Its an away victory all day long.

Yes we should play Wilson but I wouldn't expect 90 minutes out of him.
If we want our best line up we should be playing Thomas and Kennedy, swapping them a bit to keep the Rovers full backs guessing.

When you beat us 4-1 at East End last season, Iain Wilson ran the show and we didn't have Matthews available to shut him down. That's giving me a bit of the fear ahead of this one. 

Ultimately it's the same dynamic as last time. We've definitely got the better manager, and I think you'd have to say the better "team", but there are some individuals in the Dunfermline squad with higher performance ceilings than a lot of our players. 

It hasn't happened so far, but despite Peter Grant's best weird efforts, the Pars will win games because on the right day (or night) individual quality will shine through. 

Having said all that, I'm still pretty confident about this one. Despite our poor record, I prefer derbies at East End, there's less pressure, and I think the Rovers can really take that and run with it. As long as Lang slots into the defence - and I'm sure he will - we know we can be resolute, and there'll be space for Zanatta/Connolly/Ross/Poplatnik to work in. 

Prediction? It won't be 0-0.

In the statement from RM/TM they said there was discussions with PG and all parties knew that results had to pick up and quickly. Now I know we're not getting emptied every week but how long do we keep going until draws become unacceptable in the eyes of the board?

I never thought I'd be one of the 'I hope we lose so the manager gets binned' types but I know that walking out of the 2-2 draw with Killie where a last minute equaliser earned us a point I genuinely felt disappointment as I knew he'd get more time. That shouldn't be the feeling, I should have been delighted. The Peter Grant thing won't work, it's already buggered and well more than 50% of the support are fed up to a point that they're not going to games. The apathy from all areas of the support is really quite sad to see and it will take a change of manager and a bloody good change at that. I'll be there tomorrow, I'll back the team but if we lose it won't ruin my night.

Stewart Petrie SOS 

When you beat us 4-1 at East End last season, Iain Wilson ran the show and we didn't have Matthews available to shut him down. That's giving me a bit of the fear ahead of this one. 
Ultimately it's the same dynamic as last time. We've definitely got the better manager, and I think you'd have to say the better "team", but there are some individuals in the Dunfermline squad with higher performance ceilings than a lot of our players. 
It hasn't happened so far, but despite Peter Grant's best weird efforts, the Pars will win games because on the right day (or night) individual quality will shine through. 
Having said all that, I'm still pretty confident about this one. Despite our poor record, I prefer derbies at East End, there's less pressure, and I think the Rovers can really take that and run with it. As long as Lang slots into the defence - and I'm sure he will - we know we can be resolute, and there'll be space for Zanatta/Connolly/Ross/Poplatnik to work in. 
Prediction? It won't be 0-0.

Agree with a lot of what you’re saying. But I’d be surprised if Wilson started - unless we switch to 3 in midfield and actually decide to start using our midfielders when we’re in possession. Otherwise, I’d expect aimless punts up the park that Berra will deal with no bother (like the first half at Starks).

Definitely agree you have the better manager and team. Individual quality doesn’t make a great team and we certainly don’t resemble a team at all this season. Meanwhile, McGlynn has assembled a really good team again, where everyone knows their role/responsibility and I’d be surprised if the replacements coming in don’t just slot in fairly easily.

Regarding the whole “the Pars will win games” - I’m honestly not convinced. There isn’t enough of a team mentality or any sort of game plan for me to think that could happen. We seem to have settled for trying to draw 0-0 every week, despite the fact that won’t see us stay in the division. We seem to have a plan without the ball, but have no idea what to do when we have the ball in our possession, which is incredibly worrying for any team, never mind a full time team. I have no idea what they work on in training, there’s no sign of any of it on a match day. I can totally understand though, why outsiders would look at our squad and assume that they will win some games, regardless of who is the manager.

If Wilson is fit enough he needs to play. He'll have played bounce games before Saturday. We really need someone other than Pybus or Allan in there to actually be creative, but I guess it is no use when Grant is telling them just hoof it aimlessly constant.

Surely Breen will take Vytas' place as well? He looked absolutely done after the Partick game. Dow has done next to nothing this season. Kennedy needs to take his position. 

23 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Think we'll go 4-3-3 (which will actually be 4-5-1) as we seemed to end the Partick game. Pybus, Allan and Wilson in midfield and Wighton, Dow and O'Hara up front but not really. It's not what I'd pick but it's the kind of thing I can see Grant doing. 

Didn't Dom finish the game and Dow got subbed off?