Sean Flynn / Louise Tiffoney case

ICTChris

Sean Flynn has been found dead in Spain, days after failing to appear in court to face trial for the murder of his mother Louise Tiffoney in 2002.  Flynn stood trial previously and was found not guilty but a second trial was ordered after the body of Tiffoney was found in Longniddry in 2017.  Under reformed double jeopardy laws second trials are allowed if certain tests are met.

I remember the Flynn case when I moved to Edinburgh, it was a very notorious crime.  Flynn served several years in prison for causing death by dangerous driving, he crashed his car in West Lothian leading to the deaths of two of his cousins a few months before his mother disappeared and he was due to be sentenced very shortly after she vanished.  There was rumours that Flynn had a fraught relationship with his mother, strain driven by his relationship with a much older woman.

The BBC story on his death has more details of the evidence to be presented in court

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-59011735

Have any P&Bers ever bumped off a close family member, thought they'd got away with it and then not?

I remember that case and the original trial very well. I couldn't believe the Not Proven verdict at the time. The evidence against him was overwhelming.

One would have hoped that Flynn might have had the decency to leave a note admitting his guilt, and apologising to all his mother's family members.

24 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

The only lawyer in Scotland it seems. Taken over from Donald Findlay who took over from Joe Beltrami.

As an aside, Joe Beltrami used to come into my old work a few days a week when I worked in a tea room. Was always quite funny to watch this man who defended some of the worst criminals and hardest gangsters in Scottish criminal history and he would just sit there with a Strawberry Milkshake with extra squirty cream on top 

20 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

The Foreign Office said it was supporting the family of a British man who had died in Peniscola

What an awful way to go.

*supporting the family which the man hasn’t previously murdered.

I found this old article about the case, written before there was any real suspicion on the son. What a tragedy for the daughter.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11960658.the-mystery-of-a-lost-mother-her-errant-son-and-a-child-who-waits-when-louise-tiffney-went-missing-it-was-feared-the-pressure-of-her-sons-appearance-in-court-was-too-much-now-however-the-investigation-has-taken-a-sinister-turn-rebecca-mcquill/

On 22/10/2021 at 18:57, Suspect Device said:

The only lawyer in Scotland it seems. Taken over from Donald Findlay who took over from Joe Beltrami.

Similarly , Frank Lefevre was the only lawyer in Aberdeen back in the day..... “Aye, he’s a great Frunkie , is he ?!”