Alec Baldwin Fatally Shoots Someone on Set

Michael W

Woman on the news just said : "One bit of solace for the family is that she died doing what she loved".
What is it with these c***s. 

I had heard she loved being shot tbf. Nothing she liked better than a good shooting.

"The head gun handler for the movie "Rust," which has made headlines after cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was fatally shot by Alec Baldwin on set, revealed last month that she was worried about her experience level for her first job.

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, 24, told a podcast that she almost didn't take the job, her first as head armorer, because she wasn't sure if she was "ready" for it."

Armorer worried she wasn't ready for job.

I have a feeling that wee gem may be brought up should lawsuits ensue.

17 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

"The head gun handler for the movie "Rust," which has made headlines after cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was fatally shot by Alec Baldwin on set, revealed last month that she was worried about her experience level for her first job.

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, 24, told a podcast that she almost didn't take the job, her first as head armorer, because she wasn't sure if she was "ready" for it."

If it was true that a live round and not a blank was fired, that is something I don't understand unless it was intentional or incredibly reckless. If the gun hadn't been checked properly and there was something in the barrel that could have been fired off with a blank, that's negligence. If it was a live round that has to be manslaughter or murder. Haven't worked on film much, but in theatre everything that could be dangerous is disabled in case of a screwup, like if there's a hanging scene the rope is hiddenly split with a single thread joining the sections so if there's a screw up the actor won't actually get throttled. I've handed out guns to actors before but only ones that were disabled so they couldn't be fired, even with blanks. I've read quotes saying normal practice is that live rounds are normally totally verboten on set, which you'd expect, even in America. If the director ordered them to use live rounds to up the realism on the cheap, I hope he goes to prison for a very long time.

49 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If it was true that a live round and not a blank was fired, that is something I don't understand unless it was intentional or incredibly reckless. If the gun hadn't been checked properly and there was something in the barrel that could have been fired off with a blank, that's negligence. If it was a live round that has to be manslaughter or murder. Haven't worked on film much, but in theatre everything that could be dangerous is disabled in case of a screwup, like if there's a hanging scene the rope is hiddenly split with a single thread joining the sections so if there's a screw up the actor won't actually get throttled. I've handed out guns to actors before but only ones that were disabled so they couldn't be fired, even with blanks. I've read quotes saying normal practice is that live rounds are normally totally verboten on set, which you'd expect, even in America. If the director ordered them to use live rounds to up the realism on the cheap, I hope he goes to prison for a very long time.

Last bit of news about this seems to be that the Assistant Director took the gun from the props department and gave it to Baldwin for use in rehearsal, telling him it wasn't loaded. Sounds like there wasn't much more he could've been expected to do without being a bit of a pain in the arse (admittedly that wouldn't be out of character).

There was a quote going around yesterday that Baldwin was furious when he was told that it had been a live round in the gun, and was overheard saying that nobody had ever handed him a gun loaded with live ammo on a film set.

Interview here with a veteran movie set armourer who insists there's no reason for there to be live ammunition on set:

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/entertainment/2021/10/24/alec-baldwin-live-rounds-john-patteson-retired-armorer-ndwknd-sot-vpx.cnn

21 hours ago, Shotgun said:

"Gutierrez-Reed, the daughter of the veteran Hollywood armorer Thell Reed, said on the "Voices of the West" podcast that "Rust" was only her second film as a head armorer."  Ooft.  

The assistant director seems to be a bit of an arsehole as well.  All three of them - the armourer, the assistant director and Baldwin - could probably have avoided someone getting killed by just doing a simple check of the gun.

The whole thing just seems like a massive f**k up.   

I read elsewhere that some of the crew members had taken the guns out for some "plinking" to kill time.  Plinking is shooting beer cans for lolz. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/rust-shooting-gun-that-killed-halyna-hutchins-was-used-that-morning-for-live-ammo-target-practice/ar-AAPWxNl?li=BBnb7Kz

Edited by senorsoupe

Don Jr seeing a marketing opportunity

"A T-shirt with the slogan “Guns Don’t Kill People, Alec Baldwin Kills People” is selling for $US27.99 on a merchandise site linked to the former president’s namesake son."

https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/donald-trump-jnr-sells-t-shirts-mocking-alec-baldwin-rust-set-tragedy-20211026-p59335.html

13 hours ago, resk said:

"Gutierrez-Reed, the daughter of the veteran Hollywood armorer Thell Reed, said on the "Voices of the West" podcast that "Rust" was only her second film as a head armorer."  Ooft.  

The assistant director seems to be a bit of an arsehole as well.  All three of them - the armourer, the assistant director and Baldwin - could probably have avoided someone getting killed by just doing a simple check of the gun.

The whole thing just seems like a massive f**k up.   

Certainly a massive f**k up but I'm not sure why Baldwin would be expected to check the gun seeing as there are others being paid to do exactly that, and nothing more. Especially given he was told the gun was "safe".  

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Certainly a massive f**k up but I'm not sure why Baldwin would be expected to check the gun seeing as there are others being paid to do exactly that, and nothing more. Especially given he was told the gun was "safe".  

I'd have thought actors would actually be told not to do any fucking about with the weaponry, just in case they did something that caused a problem.

23 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Yes, I agree.  I said that all three of them could have avoided the shooting if they'd done a simple check, not that all three of them were expected to as part of their jobs on the set.  I'm guessing that some actors will be more "gun-aware" than others and will carry out checks as a matter of normal gun handling - Baldwin clearly isn't one of those actors, which is unfortunate.  

11 minutes ago, resk said:

Yes, I agree.  I said that all three of them could have avoided the shooting if they'd done a simple check, not that all three of them were expected to as part of their jobs on the set.  I'm guessing that some actors will be more "gun-aware" than others and will carry out checks as a matter of normal gun handling - Baldwin clearly isn't one of those actors, which is unfortunate.  

Actors in the most part are idiots dealing with practical matters, I certainly wouldn't trust Baldwin not to mess up a safety check on a gun that might be primed to fire a blank.

13 minutes ago, resk said:

Apparently Baldwin was a careful actor when it comes to handling guns - on the same movie set he had sent a kid away from the vicinity when a gun was being fired a few days back.  Obviously we all have read a lot of stuff around this, but it seems that it's more common for the intended "target" to go through the required checks than the "shooter" for obvious reasons.  

I'm not sure what the exact protocol is, there doesn't seem to be one, but surely a check and double-check system as a minimum should be laid down?  

2 hours ago, resk said:

I doubt actors will be relied on to do any checks. What possible qualification could they have? If Jeniffer Aniston  used a gun in a film would you be expecting her to give it a quick check?

I had thought he was messing about, but have since read he was shooting towards a camera for a scene. He sounds pretty blameless to me.