Jump to content

Diamonds v The Sons - 23 Oct


Recommended Posts

Geggan's yellow was the only decision from the highlights which looks to possibly be a wrong decision, I think he probably followed through more than necessary but no doubt that Currie bought the foul and yellow card. Again though that is an example of daft play by Geggan, by the 93rd minute you are fully aware of how the referee is reffing the game, going in with any extra force at all (particularly while on a booking) was likely to result in a booking and is just stupid. In any event, a slightly harsh yellow card in the 93rd minute when 2-1 down is not something you can blame a defeat on.

Buchanan's second yellow is the most obvious yellow you will ever see, every fan (except a couple of Dumbarton fans on here seemingly) knows that pulling a shirt back when the player is away from you is a yellow card. I'm sure a Falkirk player was sent-off for 2 of these in the first half against us this season. Both penalties look to be fouls - the first one was abysmal defending and that's where any criticism should be directed. As mentioned earlier, MacLean is clearly shouting something at the linesman for his sending off, only those involved know what was said so can't comment on that.

As most of the decisions seem to be correct the criticism of the referee seems to have now shifted into the rather vague concept of 'controlling the game'. It's the job of the referee to apply the laws as best he can, if the players do stupid things then that is their fault and as a fan that's all I'd really be concerned with. How come he managed to 'control' the Airdrie players and not the Dumbarton ones anyway? Airdrie had 2 bookings, one of which was for a guy taking his shirt off in the last minute. If you are someone who thinks it is up to the referee to control a game then fine, but you'd need both of the teams to lose the plot for that to be a fair criticism, if only one team does then I'm afraid that's just ill disciplined. If it what was the other way round I'd absolutely be critical of our players. I've regularly criticised Murray for getting himself sent to the stands as it gives out a terrible example to the players, on a few occasions leading to us losing it as a team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was us condoning [condone, verb accept (behaviour that is considered morally wrong or offensive;) approve or sanction (something), especially with reluctance] that Airdrie fans were complaining about.
Did you perhaps mean condemn?
 
Yes, that should have been condemn.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've watched the highlights a couple of times now, and having a chance to digest it.

Eastons goal is an absolute beauty, really well taken and great technique.  Wasn't Dylans best game by any means but he's always capable of a bit magic, and that was proven.  The first red card, we'll never know if it was justified without having heard what was said at the time. Buchanan I don't think can have too many complaints, he had handfuls of jersey all game and he's deliberately stopped Allan going through. Geggans is a joke tbh, Currie has absolutely conned the ref with that, and while its funny because its not AGAINST us, I can absolutely see why Dumbarton would be raging about that, I cant even remember why Geggan got his first yellow tbh.

I hadn't realised how bad a GK error it was for the 3rd, he's absolutely sold the jerseys with that one and cost Dumbarton a point.

For all his faults over the last couple of years, and we've given him a bit of stick, but Murray went full baws out on the table to win that at the weekend there with the 2-2-6 formation for the last 10 and it paid off.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

For all his faults over the last couple of years, and we've given him a bit of stick, but Murray went full baws out on the table to win that at the weekend there with the 2-2-6 formation for the last 10 and it paid off.  

I know I'm his biggest fan, but I think Ian Murray gets a tough time off Diamonds fans.

Both our clubs were in the same position (roughly) when we sacked our respective Stevies in October 2018. And both clubs appointed their new managers (Murray and Duffy) at around the same time. Now I know Airdrie have a bigger budget than us (and have the full-time element), but there's no question that Murray was a vastly superior appointment to Duffy.

He took an Airdrie team languishing in the lower reaches of League One to second last season. This season they look even stronger. Especially going forward with the likes of Smith, Salim and Easton. Duffy took over a Sons side in the same position and left us ninth having stayed up by the skin of our teeth last season. Airdrie have consistently improved under Murray. It might've been slow progress - but it's definite progress nonetheless.

I have nothing but admiration for how balls out he went on Saturday. But it also didn't surprise me. It looks like he's getting the mojo back he had with us and, to be totally honest, I'm really pleased for him. He gave me some of my best memories supporting Sons and I really enjoy speaking to him after games. We always said he needed the right assistant, and I think that Scott Agnew might just be the ideal person to fill the Jack Ross-role.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Large Post.

Can't really argue with much of what you've said there tbh, someone had also mentioned this is the first time since he's came in where this is totally 100% his own team and players.

The biggest criticism I've aimed at IM in the past is taking too long to find a settled team, we always go between 7-12 games at the start of the season and we try a couple of formations with numerous changes week on week until something works.  I also wholeheartedly agree about improving each year, its been in small increments but looking where we were in Finldays last game, a 3-1 home defeat to Brechin vs. last weeks comfortable win at Falkirk, I don't think anyone can argue its like 2 different clubs, never mind teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still cannae quite believe that sensational second half of utter bedlam. 

I was sure we'd blown it when we missed the second penalty, but little did I know the sheer carnage that awaited us. 

The wailing, shirt-rending and gnashing of teeth on this thread by the Dumbarton fans, making all sorts of outlandish claims about the red cards and even having the astonishing temerity to complain about the amount of added time, has been a pleasure to behold as I have looked back through it this morning. 

Delightful. Unaccounted for heids all over the place. A tsunami of seethe. 

Nowhere near the performance level of the week before, but the squad dug out the win, Murray chucked every forward he could after a winner at 1-1 and he was ultimately rewarded. Delighted for Salim to get his goal. An amazing afternoon. Absolutely incredible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Can't really argue with much of what you've said there tbh, someone had also mentioned this is the first time since he's came in where this is totally 100% his own team and players.

The biggest criticism I've aimed at IM in the past is taking too long to find a settled team, we always go between 7-12 games at the start of the season and we try a couple of formations with numerous changes week on week until something works.  I also wholeheartedly agree about improving each year, its been in small increments but looking where we were in Finldays last game, a 3-1 home defeat to Brechin vs. last weeks comfortable win at Falkirk, I don't think anyone can argue its like 2 different clubs, never mind teams. 

Since 2002 I believe Murray has the highest points per game ratio of all of the charlatans that have been in post. I was expecting him to go in the summer as a ‘natural end’ type thing after the play off with Morton, but he’s clearly got his own team on the park now to play the style he wants and doesn’t have anyone poking about above him. I’ve seen fans put money on us winning the league at 16s and as excited as I am I still think Cove or QP will eventually walk (not run) away with the league, but I do think we certainly have a chance of going one better in the playoffs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By my reckoning the last time Dumbarton finished a game with eight players was on August 20th 1991 when, would you believe it, the opposition was Airdrie in a League Cup tie at Boghead.  For a bonus point who can name the ex-Sons player who scored the extra-time winner in a 2-1 victory for the Diamonds ?

Edited by Frank Quitely
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I know I'm his biggest fan, but I think Ian Murray gets a tough time off Diamonds fans.

Both our clubs were in the same position (roughly) when we sacked our respective Stevies in October 2018. And both clubs appointed their new managers (Murray and Duffy) at around the same time. Now I know Airdrie have a bigger budget than us (and have the full-time element), but there's no question that Murray was a vastly superior appointment to Duffy.

He took an Airdrie team languishing in the lower reaches of League One to second last season. This season they look even stronger. Especially going forward with the likes of Smith, Salim and Easton. Duffy took over a Sons side in the same position and left us ninth having stayed up by the skin of our teeth last season. Airdrie have consistently improved under Murray. It might've been slow progress - but it's definite progress nonetheless.

I have nothing but admiration for how balls out he went on Saturday. But it also didn't surprise me. It looks like he's getting the mojo back he had with us and, to be totally honest, I'm really pleased for him. He gave me some of my best memories supporting Sons and I really enjoy speaking to him after games. We always said he needed the right assistant, and I think that Scott Agnew might just be the ideal person to fill the Jack Ross-role.

I really like the guy and think you're right, he has had a harder time of it from some than he has deserved. Ian Murray has made us better year on year, as the league placings demonstrate, but beyond the basic facts of where you finish in the table, the tangible difference in Airdrie even in his previous seasons compared to what came before has been blatantly obvious. Even in tougher spells, we've been clearly far better since he came to the club in every basic footballing sense. Clearly much better coached sides than those that immediately preceded his appointment.

The state we were in before he joined... 

Anyhow; We're really on to something this season and I loved seeing him, Prunts et al going nuts at the end of the game, glorying in the victory. Sensational. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

By my reckoning the last time Dumbarton finished a game with eight players was on August 20th 1991 when, would you believe it, the opposition was Airdrie in a League Cup tie at Boghead.  For a bonus point who can name the ex-Sons player who scored the extra-time winner in a 2-1 victory for the Diamonds ?
That's the only other time it's happened, never mind the last time although the third red card was in extra time so Saturday was the first time we've had three reds in 90 minutes. Owen Coyle got the winner that night and we could've played Airdrie in the Scottish cup later that season had we not been knocked out by Huntly.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frank Quitely said:

By my reckoning the last time Dumbarton finished a game with eight players was on August 20th 1991 when, would you believe it, the opposition was Airdrie in a League Cup tie at Boghead.  For a bonus point who can name the ex-Sons player who scored the extra-time winner in a 2-1 victory for the Diamonds ?

 

49 minutes ago, microdave said:
1 hour ago, Frank Quitely said:
By my reckoning the last time Dumbarton finished a game with eight players was on August 20th 1991 when, would you believe it, the opposition was Airdrie in a League Cup tie at Boghead.  For a bonus point who can name the ex-Sons player who scored the extra-time winner in a 2-1 victory for the Diamonds ?

That's the only other time it's happened, never mind the last time although the third red card was in extra time so Saturday was the first time we've had three reds in 90 minutes. Owen Coyle got the winner that night and we could've played Airdrie in the Scottish cup later that season had we not been knocked out by Huntly.

Was that the night that Owen totally conned the ref for a penalty?

Jim Meechan to God Gibson for his goal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

By my reckoning the last time Dumbarton finished a game with eight players was on August 20th 1991 when, would you believe it, the opposition was Airdrie in a League Cup tie at Boghead.  For a bonus point who can name the ex-Sons player who scored the extra-time winner in a 2-1 victory for the Diamonds ?

Don't remember Dumbarton getting 3 reds that night! This was en route to getting cheated by David Syme after beating Aberdeen and Celtic following Dumbarton. League Cup should have been ours that year!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Good to see the Dumbarton fans getting over Saturdays game 😂😂😂😂

Screenshot_20211027-142747.png

That Tweet is from Sunday afternoon to be fair. I'd imagine most fans' emotions would still be running high 24 hours after a game like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's also hilarious that Airdrie fans are going "LOOK AT HOW RAGIN THEY URR!" when they've spent months sticking pins into Ross McLean voodoo dolls and wishing all kinds of bad karma goes his way for *checks notes" doing exactly what Max Currie did to Andy Geggan at the weekend. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's also hilarious that Airdrie fans are going "LOOK AT HOW RAGIN THEY URR!" when they've spent months sticking pins into Ross McLean voodoo dolls and wishing all kinds of bad karma goes his way for *checks notes" doing exactly what Max Currie did to Andy Geggan at the weekend. 

...

Look at how ragin they urr

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...