Diamonds v The Sons - 23 Oct

Having watched the highlights MacLean's red was definitely for something said to the linesman. He turns and starts screaming at the linesman as soon as the penalty is awarded.
Some strike from Easton and Both penalties stonewallers. From the highlights McLean is clearly saying more than "you're a clown".

Ref getting it tight from Dumbarton fans (should be looking at their own imo) but it was the linesman who flagged for two of the reds. Don't think there was a harsh booking other than geggans second yellow. Currie should have been told to get up and on with it, no need to hit the deck like that. Other than that there can't be many complaints surely.

Still smiling, so much sweeter after the antics of McLean in the first fixture when Dumbarton fans refused to condone his play acting. No sympathy.

Some strike from Easton and Both penalties stonewallers. From the highlights McLean is clearly saying more than "you're a clown".

Ref getting it tight from Dumbarton fans (should be looking at their own imo) but it was the linesman who flagged for two of the reds. Don't think there was a harsh booking other than geggans second yellow. Currie should have been told to get up and on with it, no need to hit the deck like that. Other than that there can't be many complaints surely.

Still smiling, so much sweeter after the antics of McLean in the first fixture when Dumbarton fans refused to condone his play acting. No sympathy.

Couldn’t agree more…d9596b0fa03aead679fc6a38db6fc928.jpg

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Haha nae bother Mike Dean. 

You said “the ref will have laid down the law to the players pre match telling them what he will expect and where the line is”. That suggests the referee decides where the line is. He doesn’t, whether he thinks he does or not, that line is clearly set out in the rules the ref is meant to be enforcing. 

No point in arguing with you. You have your opinion that's fine. Iv told you the facts and your not interested. As I said, we should be looking at our players rather than blaming the ref. The ref didn't cost us 4 goals, our crap defending did! We also had plenty chances to score more than the 2 we did.

We have a bad habit amongst our fans of blaming refs and its tiresome. Couple that with some (on here and our FB page) calling the Airdrie celebrations "embarrasing". Jesus, they scored a 96min winner. I'd be running up Dumbarton high St naked if I'd done that so give them their moment of joy, suck it up and do it back when we meet them next time. 

1 minute ago, pleslie99 said:

No point in arguing with you. You have your opinion that's fine. Iv told you the facts and your not interested. As I said, we should be looking at our players rather than blaming the ref. The ref didn't cost us 4 goals, our crap defending did! We also had plenty chances to score more than the 2 we did.

We have a bad habit amongst our fans of blaming refs and its tiresome. Couple that with some (on here and our FB page) calling the Airdrie celebrations "embarrasing". Jesus, they scored a 96min winner. I'd be running up Dumbarton high St naked if I'd done that so give them their moment of joy, suck it up and do it back when we meet them next time. 

Shhhh with your common sense and rational reactions.

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Correct, despite what weirdo refs like @pleslie99 or Scott Lambie think, nobody is actually there to watch them or listen to their wee pre match speech about where they draw line. Professional footballers will be fully aware of what the rules are and what they can get away with on a football park. The players who were sent off yesterday have 948 professional appearances between them, I’d like to think they know what they can and can’t say on a football pitch. A straight red for calling someone a clown is ludicrous, even if he did chuck in a swear word and everyone knows it.

They should probably go ref in a sport like Rugby, where they call the referee ‘Sir’ 🤢.

Edited by FifeSons

12 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

In general our support are fairly level headed and I don’t really recognise any of our regular posters as being blaming the referee or officials  after a defeat types.  Bar a couple of zoomers on the Facebook thingy I think it’s harsh to claim we blame refs for bad results, I think most of us are fairly quick to admit when we play bad and are fairly honest when it comes to highlighting players who aren’t performing. 

I do agree regarding the celebrating, I have nae issue with that at all and I’d be doing the same if it was me. Considering we had celebrated similarly a mere 2 minutes prior I dunno what the gripe is tbh. I’d be thinkin Murray and his bench were absolute weirdos if they weren’t going mental.

There's no doubt our players lost the head but it's also possible for the ref to have lost control of the game, which he quite clearly did. We've had 5 red cards in 2 seasons and 4 of them came yesterday, we're not a nasty side. 

No qualms from me about getting it up us, we were Ramsbottom collecting a cross a way from the shoe being on the other foot, and I'd have given it a big yin. 

58 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Did you see another goal?

Looking back at the highlights. The first penalty I thought was for pulling but it was a shite tackle from Buchanan. It was a pen. When he takes it the Airdrie player is encroaching before the ball is hit. Rules say it should be retaken but the second penalty is blatant encroaching from us so it's evened itself out. Looked like a very soft penalty.

McLean has clearly said more than ya clown. Whatever, it is a red and afterwards our players should have realised that was the tone set and just shut their mouths. 

Buchanan was a nightmare, he should have not put his hands on the attacker for his red. There wasn't a need as soft as it was it didn't look like a foul but as soon as the hands are left on the player the ref and lino have a reason. 

Geggans second yellow was the most ridiculous of the lot. Nowhere near a foul and the keeper has thrown himself to the ground. That's embarrassing antics. 

I thought Ramsbottom was fouled but he's flapped at it and cost us a point. 

The ref didn't have a great game but watching it back he's probably justified the reds by the laws of the game.

Initially I was fuming and reacted but probably in the cool light of day the players only have themselves to blame. 10 men on the park and we'd have had a chance. It was miraculous that we even equalised with 7 outfield players. It would have been the greatest comeback I'd have ever witnessed. We had the better chances and missed a few sitters but that's life. 

No point discussing McLean's sending off as only a few on the park would know. (Does seem to be a bit of a dick though)

Buchanan can have no complaints, minimal contact but did attempt to pull him back.

Geggan, doubt if anyone has a worse disciplinary record in the last 15 years but in this case he can have a complaint!

8 hours ago, David_86 said:

It was us condoning [condone, verb accept (behaviour that is considered morally wrong or offensive;) approve or sanction (something), especially with reluctance] that Airdrie fans were complaining about.

Did you perhaps mean condemn?

19 hours ago, FifeSons said:

A straight red for dissent is incredibly over the top, regardless of what was said. The referee has to use a bit of common sense in the heat of the moment. He was far too eager to fling out the cards. Objectively poor refereeing.

Absolute rubbish, so the heat of the moment governs when a red card can be given and use common sense to put up with dissent. Get real pal and wake up. Unfortunately VAR has taken these disputed issues out of the top games so just be glad we have something to have a nice friendly chat about post match.

Definition of poor refereeing: applying the rules set out by FIFA.

Geggan's yellow was the only decision from the highlights which looks to possibly be a wrong decision, I think he probably followed through more than necessary but no doubt that Currie bought the foul and yellow card. Again though that is an example of daft play by Geggan, by the 93rd minute you are fully aware of how the referee is reffing the game, going in with any extra force at all (particularly while on a booking) was likely to result in a booking and is just stupid. In any event, a slightly harsh yellow card in the 93rd minute when 2-1 down is not something you can blame a defeat on.

Buchanan's second yellow is the most obvious yellow you will ever see, every fan (except a couple of Dumbarton fans on here seemingly) knows that pulling a shirt back when the player is away from you is a yellow card. I'm sure a Falkirk player was sent-off for 2 of these in the first half against us this season. Both penalties look to be fouls - the first one was abysmal defending and that's where any criticism should be directed. As mentioned earlier, MacLean is clearly shouting something at the linesman for his sending off, only those involved know what was said so can't comment on that.

As most of the decisions seem to be correct the criticism of the referee seems to have now shifted into the rather vague concept of 'controlling the game'. It's the job of the referee to apply the laws as best he can, if the players do stupid things then that is their fault and as a fan that's all I'd really be concerned with. How come he managed to 'control' the Airdrie players and not the Dumbarton ones anyway? Airdrie had 2 bookings, one of which was for a guy taking his shirt off in the last minute. If you are someone who thinks it is up to the referee to control a game then fine, but you'd need both of the teams to lose the plot for that to be a fair criticism, if only one team does then I'm afraid that's just ill disciplined. If it what was the other way round I'd absolutely be critical of our players. I've regularly criticised Murray for getting himself sent to the stands as it gives out a terrible example to the players, on a few occasions leading to us losing it as a team.