Diamonds v The Sons - 23 Oct

What. A. Game. Still buzzing though I'll probably need to lie down for most of tomorrow. That game/second-half was so mental there's probably not much point in being overly analytical. To that point my analysis will extend to: 

- McCabe's second penalty was stupid on his part. Not like him at all to make such a daft decision but, at 1-1 with the other team down to 10 men in a fairly stuffy game at that point, just hit it like you hit your first one and take the opportunity to regain the lead. Thankfully it didn't matter in the end. 

- Buchanan seemed desperate to get sent off from the moment he was first booked. Whether they were justified yellow and red cards or not, if the referee has laid down a marker for the standard of behaviour he expects, the onus is on the players and management of both teams to respond to and manage that. Dumbarton emphatically did not do that. Players like Buchanan, Geggan, Paton and McKee should really know better. Silly shove in the back from Geggan for his second booking (even if Currie did make the most of it) and I'm not sure how Buchanan's second booking can be disputed at all given that Allan would have been clean through on goal if he didn't take him out. McLean too had been at it the whole game and, while it shouldn't, that is ultimately going to influence the ref's decision in sending you off if you give him that decision to make. 

- Kerr was very erratic today and struggled until he was subbed. Is he injured again? We usually only get that sort of performance from him when he is. It could have just been an off day in fairness (like it was for the whole team) but that would be a concern and a huge miss for both him and the team if he was out again. 

- Paton going unmarked at the back-post for the equaliser at 11 v 8 😂

- Big fan of Murray going 'baws oot' and just flinging on any striker he could find. Not sure I could handle that every week but it paid off this afternoon so fair fucking play. 

- Delighted for Salim to get his first goal. And what a way to do it! He hasn't really got going yet but hopefully this will be a confidence boost for him and he can kick-on from here and be the key player we all hoped he would be. What a cracker of a goal from Dylan Easton once again also. He was quieter today but moments like that are exactly why you have him on the park.  

- I have all the time in the world for the GIRFUYs and absolute scenes from both sides. Tremendous behaviour and it really added to this wild, hilarious and mad afternoon. I've no idea how or why this has become such a grudge match but again I'm all for it. The scenes at the end will be mirrored against us many times in the future, probably even by Dumbarton, and we'll be seething. But it's all a part of this great sport and why we love it. 

- I love Bryan Prunty. 

55 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

The ref would've laid the law down to the players pre match telling them what he will expect and where the line is. If our players are stupid enough to test that out then they are going to end up on the end of some cards.

The ref doesn’t make the rules, he enforces them. He can’t tell the players where the line is, that line should be clearly outline by the official rules, not what the referee deems to be the line for a straight red or a yellow card. 

43 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Yes there is swearing every week but There's a difference between swearing and swearing AT someone. Shouting "f**k sake ref" isn't likely to get you more than a talking too. "Your a fucking clown" on the other hand will see you heading for a bath.

That’s new to me. So you can say “f**k sake ref” but you can’t swear AT him? What a load of nonsense!

33 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

if the referee has laid down a marker for the standard of behaviour he expects, the onus is on the players and management of both teams to respond to and manage that.

The referee can expect all he wants, he’s enforcing an official set of rules not just deciding upon himself what he expects and booking/sending players off based on it. 

2 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Get your arguments - slight flaws:

It does matter what MacLean said - if what he said, within the rules, merited a red, then it is a red. 

Our players were/are more disciplined - so the "other way round" didn't happen.

PS - whats this "trolling" shite - this is a forum.

A straight red for dissent is incredibly over the top, regardless of what was said. The referee has to use a bit of common sense in the heat of the moment. He was far too eager to fling out the cards. Objectively poor refereeing.

47 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The referee can expect all he wants, he’s enforcing an official set of rules not just deciding upon himself what he expects and booking/sending players off based on it. 

Was that not literally what he was doing though? Admittedly to a more officious standard than most referees but I'm not sure any of his decisions were blatantly outwith or an incorrect interpretation of the rules, apart from possibly the straight red for McLean albeit we don't know what was said or done to 'warrant' it. 

8 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The ref doesn’t make the rules, he enforces them. He can’t tell the players where the line is, that line should be clearly outline by the official rules, not what the referee deems to be the line for a straight red or a yellow card. 

That’s new to me. So you can say “f**k sake ref” but you can’t swear AT him? What a load of nonsense!

Correct. So where did the referee make up his own rules. He enforced them, our fans didn't like it. We can moan and grumble all we liked. We played right into it and gave the ref reason to book and send us off. Of course the ref will tell players before a match where the line is, if you've ever played football even amateur refs do this.

It may be new to you but that shows your not up to speed with the laws of the game which is why many fans moan and grumble when they don't understand. A sending off offence is offensive, insulting or abusive language or actions. "f**k sake ref" is not any of the above, it's clear frustration. "Your a fucking clown" is offensive, abusive and insulting and would result in a red card. So it's not a load of nonsense, it's fact.

35 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Correct. So where did the referee make up his own rules. He enforced them, our fans didn't like it. We can moan and grumble all we liked. We played right into it and gave the ref reason to book and send us off. Of course the ref will tell players before a match where the line is, if you've ever played football even amateur refs do this.

It may be new to you but that shows your not up to speed with the laws of the game which is why many fans moan and grumble when they don't understand. A sending off offence is offensive, insulting or abusive language or actions. "f**k sake ref" is not any of the above, it's clear frustration. "Your a fucking clown" is offensive, abusive and insulting and would result in a red card. So it's not a load of nonsense, it's fact.

Haha nae bother Mike Dean. 

You said “the ref will have laid down the law to the players pre match telling them what he will expect and where the line is”. That suggests the referee decides where the line is. He doesn’t, whether he thinks he does or not, that line is clearly set out in the rules the ref is meant to be enforcing. 

8 hours ago, FifeSons said:

A straight red for dissent is incredibly over the top, regardless of what was said. The referee has to use a bit of common sense in the heat of the moment. He was far too eager to fling out the cards. Objectively poor refereeing.

Correct, despite what weirdo refs like @pleslie99 or Scott Lambie think, nobody is actually there to watch them or listen to their wee pre match speech about where they draw line. Professional footballers will be fully aware of what the rules are and what they can get away with on a football park. The players who were sent off yesterday have 948 professional appearances between them, I’d like to think they know what they can and can’t say on a football pitch. A straight red for calling someone a clown is ludicrous, even if he did chuck in a swear word and everyone knows it.

10 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Any ref dishing out a red for swearing is a sensitive wee flower and you fine well know it. You hear swearing every single week.

You barreling about the thread absolutely raging and replying constantly to everyone has been excellent to watch. Cringeworthy on your part, but great to watch for us given your normal manner on the forum. The irony of you calling someone "wee flower" as well 😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Announce immediate release of action packed highlights package. 

Uploading now. Shaking again just editing the highlights.

For all the drama throughout the game, the best bit of the package is @Jan Vojáček inexplicably turning into Kenneth Williams after our disallowed goal.

mqdefault.jpeg

Uploading now. Shaking again just editing the highlights.

For all the drama throughout the game, the best bit of the package is [mention=33799]Jan Vojáček[/mention] inexplicably turning into Kenneth Williams after our disallowed goal.
mqdefault.jpeg.f87ee5f33defc447f6c2f997b1456899.jpeg

I forgot there was also a disallowed goal. What the hell happened yesterday…. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

15 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

The linesman flagged during the period of argument after the penalty was awarded and I assumed MacLean's red was due to something he had spotted or heard but I can't actually recall the two of them having a discussion at any point in that moment.

Having watched the highlights MacLean's red was definitely for something said to the linesman. He turns and starts screaming at the linesman as soon as the penalty is awarded.