Diamonds v The Sons - 23 Oct

Its a shame that in the aftermath of an absolute shit show of a referee performance, folk won't be talking about the excellent play for Dumbarton's first and the really nice finish from the edge of the box that put Airdrie 2-1 up. Both really well taken goals that deserve a lot of credit, but that will be lost in everything else that happened this afternoon.

1 minute ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Its a shame that in the aftermath of an absolute shit show of a referee performance, folk won't be talking about the excellent play for Dumbarton's first and the really nice finish from the edge of the box that put Airdrie 2-1 up. Both really well taken goals that deserve a lot of credit, but that will be lost in everything else that happened this afternoon.

Agreed, tbh I've got a soft spot for Dumbarton and after watching that game I really don't think they'll have anything to worry about. Would be surprised if they don't get out of this wee dip in form sooner rather than later after their performance today.

Easton though 🤩

11 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Hope Ross McLean, Andy Geggan, Paul Paton, Eoghan Stokes, Eric Phillips and Stevie Farrell all have a good night. 

To be fair to Dumbarton they have some decent players and know how to play the game,  not helped by Farrell and his b backroom staff, abso!Ute rockets....

Paton although carrying a bit of timber,  held that side together, keep him fit and Dumbarton might stay up..

Airdrie were the better side, struggled to create chances though, played mostly in front of the back 9,   Murray rolled the dice and got lucky for once,   The goal by Dylan Easton was world class......

1 minute ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Its a shame that in the aftermath of an absolute shit show of a referee performance, folk won't be talking about the excellent play for Dumbarton's first and the really nice finish from the edge of the box that put Airdrie 2-1 up. Both really well taken goals that deserve a lot of credit, but that will be lost in everything else that happened this afternoon

Don't disagree. However disgruntled your team are, the game is done.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I mean if he said something extremely bad I could understand it but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone given a straight red for dissent. By extremely bad I mean physical threats, racism, homophobic abuse etc. Moaning about a pen being awarded doesn’t fall into that category.

Maybe he called the ref a c**t? 

That's a straight red. 

That was a weird first half. We created some absolutely golden chances but at times we hve looked extremely fragile at the back. After Airdrie scored we really imposed ourselves on the game but after we got our goal we’ve kind of sat back and allowed Airdrie to come at us. Both teams look extremely vurnerable at the back and Buchanan in particular is having a bit of a nightmare trying to deal with Smith. 
Geggan, Paton and Buchanan were all booked for dissent and McGeever was booked for a challenge on Easton that looked like a fairly hilarious dive. I’ve nae idea if the referee is being a total bitch or if our players are being OTT with the back chat but having both your centre backs and defensive minded midfielders on bookings with 45 mins to go is far from ideal. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a red at some point given how card happy the ref has been so far.

You may therefore have been very surprised that there were 4 reds.

Didn't look a foul but I'm not sure you can get a straight red for dissent. This is the worst ref performance I have ever seen

Foul and abusive language to the ref or calling his integrity into question are liable to result in a red.

Behave yourself, he tugged the boys jersey, it was a foul and nothing more. 

Which is a stick on yellow card so I don't see what you're arguing about. From your own fans pre match, Buchanan has been guilty of a lot of jersey pulling this season and to do it when on a yellow shows a complete lack of intelligence.

Some refs may not have dished out yellows right from the outset for dissent but this guy made it really clear that was going to be his way and it's up to the players to screw the nut. They didn't and can't have any complaints.

3 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Out of interest where did the ref get six minutes of stoppage time from?

Say 3 minutes for all subs and then 2 minutes for McLean to get off and a total of silly fouls throughout the game. 6 minutes about right.

Just now, Nowhereman said:

Out of interest where did the ref get six minutes of stoppage time from?

Maybe the dumbarton goalie taking as long as he could over ever goal kick.   Having to stop and record yellows and reds.  Probably had to nip out for a new pen at half time.  Give time for subs all adds up.   Again to be fair.  Time waisting wasn't as bad some I've seen previously.   

1 hour ago, Sons Fan said:

You kept going I’ll give you that but I would be very surprised if you are challenging near the top.

We were poor today and had 3 players sent off with pretty much every other player on a yellow. The ref did all he could to help you. I might sound bitter but there are better teams in the league.

You're right. You do sound bitter. 😂

We were pretty rotten too as it happens, yet still won. That's what counts at the end of the day, which is why we are now joint top. So I think your obvious bitterness might be clouding your judgement slightly.

35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The Geggan second yellow was a ridiculous decision as well. Comedy refereeing.

I’d be really concerned as a supporter of any team getting that guy as ref in future.

44 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Tugging someone's jersey would still be a straight red if it denied a clear goalscoring opportunity. That was his point. I obviously wasn't there and have no idea if it was or not but that's clearly what he's referring to in saying only not a straight red because there was a teammate alongside.

24 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Foul and abusive language to the ref or calling his integrity into question are liable to result in a red.

Yeah this. Whilst technically swearing at the ref is a red card offence most of them tend to tolerate it a bit in the heat of the moment. They will not and are told not to tolerate questioning their integrity though.

It's a long time ago now (1996 I think) but some will remember a famous game at Ibrox where Hearts had 4 players sent off. One sent off was Italian Pasquale Bruno. I remember attending a talk with one of the SFA referee supervisors a year or two later when he was said that Bruno had called basically verbally abused the referee to his face for a good half minute, calling him an "f....ing c..t", etc and not a reaction was had from the ref but eventually he called him a "f...king cheat" and was immediately sent off.

There's not a hope in hell that any appeal of a dissent red card has a chance of winning either. You need to provide some sort of audio footage evidence that says otherwise. I'm assuming that won't be available.