Diamonds v The Sons - 23 Oct

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Away ye fucking go. The bookings for dissent were fairly ridiculous and I’m fairly certain if the shoe was on the other foot you’d be spitting feathers. I’m not saying Airdrie didn’t deserve the win but for a team to be reduced to 8 men when the referee has dished out 4 yellows, a straight red and sent off the gaffer for dissent then questions have to be asked. 

I’d be astounded if any Airdrie fan who watched via live stream or attended the match have ever seen such a flurry of cards for what was effectively f**k all. I’d be lording it up if I was an Airdrie fan but lets not pretend all those cards were the norm.

I don't think the point is that it should have been that many cards for Dumbarton by normal standards. More that the ref had made it known he was booking that behaviour from the start and your players kept daring him to do it. 

Would I be raging if it was the other way round? Of course but I'd be just as raging at my own players for putting themselves in that position

20 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

We were guilty of 7 yellow cards, three reds with the Manager also red-carded, and conceded two penalties. 

Do any of these decisions necessitate a "robust challenge"? No. Rightly or wrongly that was the referee's call today. 

As a Diamonds' fan of longstanding, we can look to similar outcomes.

1 minute ago, NorthernDiamond said:

I don't think the point is that it should have been that many cards for Dumbarton by normal standards. More that the ref had made it known he was booking that behaviour from the start and your players kept daring him to do it. 

Would I be raging if it was the other way round? Of course but I'd be just as raging at my own players for putting themselves in that position

McLean sent off for calling the ref a clown being reported on twitter.

Not a fucking clown. Just a clown.

Sometimes refereeing decisions really are so baffling that its understandable when frustration takes over.

Just now, BallochSonsFan said:

McLean sent off for calling the ref a clown being reported on twitter.

Not a fucking clown. Just a clown.

Sometimes refereeing decisions really are so baffling that its understandable when frustration takes over.

If this is true then that's ridiculous for a straight red. Maybe a booking would have been in line with the refs previous decisions but would still have been harsh 

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Away ye fucking go. The bookings for dissent were fairly ridiculous and I’m fairly certain if the shoe was on the other foot you’d be spitting feathers. I’m not saying Airdrie didn’t deserve the win but for a team to be reduced to 8 men when the referee has dished out 4 yellows, a straight red and sent off the gaffer for dissent then questions have to be asked. 

I’d be astounded if any Airdrie fan who watched via live stream or attended the match have ever seen such a flurry of cards for what was effectively f**k all. I’d be lording it up if I was an Airdrie fan but lets not pretend all those cards were the norm.

How can any of us know whether the bookings for dissent were fair or unfair? It's not like we can hear what's said from the stands. What I can say is that the two second yellows looked pretty obvious to me. Buchanan's pulled Allan down to stop an attack which is a yellow all day long and Geggan's been really silly with his needless foul on Currie. As for the penalties the first one was a stonewaller and I thought the second one was a penalty at the time but it was quite far away from me so I'll reserve judgement 'til I get another look since there's a few saying it was soft. Both teams could have had a penalty for handball as well imo.

We don't win that game without Dumbarton's indiscipline imo. We were really poor and very lucky.

Total heads gone stuff from Dumbarton today......hilarious stuff. Your players never shut up from the first minute and the indiscipline from them was Incredible. I said at half time you would be lucky to finish with 11 men on the park. They do know it's against the rules to grab a handful of the oppositions shirt (Buchanan especially)? Asking cos they were at it anytime they got within "grabbing" distance then mouthed off at the audacity of the ref to award a free kick. Only soft booking was Geggan for a foul on Curry, but then why blatantly run in to the keeper like that?

Great GIRUY stuff from both sets of players/coaches. Dont mind that but you do leave yourself open to looking like a bit of a tadger as Dumbarton found out.....and great to see McLean getting sent off for absolutely nothing. Thats Karma from the first meeting between the sides.

As for Airdrie, a bit too pedeatrian today and no excuse for conceding that 2nd goal vs 8 men. Unusually suspect at the back so hopefully its a blip and that's one we got away with.

If the ref's sent MacLean off for calling him a clown then you do wonder what Geggan and Buchanan called him in the first half that wasn't as bad as 'clown' but still worthy of a booking. Laughably bad decision if that's really all that was said. Surely MacLean has said something a bit fiercer than that? Or at least the ref has misheard something fiercer?

The linesman flagged during the period of argument after the penalty was awarded and I assumed MacLean's red was due to something he had spotted or heard but I can't actually recall the two of them having a discussion at any point in that moment.

Edited by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

To be fair I agree if the game and swung the other way there would have been a meltdown.    Also the ref missed a good handball shout at 2-1 that most other airdrie fans around me were also saying we got away with one there.   

What was a fairly even game really didn't have to end that way.  The ref set out early on with how he was going to be.   One or two yellows for talking back regardless of what's said the rest should have taken the warning also.   

The way our stadium is set up with airdrie fans behind the away dugout the away subs then away fans behind the home dugout does usually look like players celebrating infront or the other teams fans.    A few dumbarton players didn't need the gestures to home fans at 2-2 but understandable given how the situation was.    Goalie coach was being an arse banging on the dugout at the penalty save the again at the goal.    The home celebrating was aimed mostly at him.  Got just what he deserved at the end.    Dumbarton have a decent team going forward and caused us more problems in defence than most teams have.  Will be interesting to see how their squad copes at so many suspensions due. 

Boyle yellow - 8th minute
Paton yellow - 17th minute
McGeever yellow - 31st minute
Mclean straight red - 58th minute
McKee yellow - 80th minute
Ramsbottom yellow - 81st minute
Buchanan yellow 88th minute.
BBC reporting Buchanan red for violent conduct - 88th minute
Geggan red for violent conduct = 90+3 minutes

And that doesnt include Faz being sent to the stand.

Absolutely unreal. BBC might be guessing regarding the violent conduct reds, but if Buchanan has been a yellow and a red then it's an absolute farce. And Geggan's straight red. And Mclean's straight red

45 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Quite surprised at the sheer amount of Dumbarton fans on this thread using the excuse of 'no robust or dangerous challenge in the game' to question the three red cards. I don't really know what happened with MacLean's red so can't comment on it, but when two players already booked for dissent commit fouls that are very clearly worthy of second bookings there's not much to argue with. We were garbage and lucky to get the win but I enjoyed it anyway.

I disagree that Buchanan and Geggans challenges were second bookings. A ref is supposed to have control of the game, lots of bookings and red cards is a sign he doesn't have control. I don't actually remember him dishing out warnings to anyone, he flashed his cards every single time which frustrated players and brought about the reactions later in the game. 

44 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

You could tell that the Dumbarton players lost their head after Buchanan was booked for dissent after the first penalty. Very strange as it looked a pretty clear cut penalty from where I was sitting.

The Dumbarton team appeared to be utterly raging at every decision after that.

All the cards given were deserved IMO apart from Geggan’s second yellow where Currie played for it.

To the old Dumbarton goalie coach: GIRFUY. Angry, angry man.

To Paton and Duthie who gave it big licks at the equaliser: GIRFUY.

To every man, woman and child in Dumbarton tonight: GIRFUY.

Lol. They’d just equalised with 8 men, why wouldn’t they give it big licks

We were poor today and lucky we were playing a team whose players shown an unbelievable lack of discipline throughout. Was the ref a card happy weirdo? Yes. did Dumbarton players shoot themselves in the foot over and over and lose the game for themselves with their attitude and actions? Yes. Was it glorious to see the miserable faces at the end after their smugness? Absolutely!

48 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

You could tell that the Dumbarton players lost their head after Buchanan was booked for dissent after the first penalty. Very strange as it looked a pretty clear cut penalty from where I was sitting.

The Dumbarton team appeared to be utterly raging at every decision after that.

All the cards given were deserved IMO apart from Geggan’s second yellow where Currie played for it.

To the old Dumbarton goalie coach: GIRFUY. Angry, angry man.

To Paton and Duthie who gave it big licks at the equaliser: GIRFUY.

To every man, woman and child in Dumbarton tonight: GIRFUY.

An absolute gang, the most indisciplined team , I have seen in a long time,

See to be honest your post is spot on    GIRFUY sons and you know who I am talking about....

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I disagree that Buchanan and Geggans challenges were second bookings. A ref is supposed to have control of the game, lots of bookings and red cards is a sign he doesn't have control. I don't actually remember him dishing out warnings to anyone, he flashed his cards every single time which frustrated players and brought about the reactions later in the game. 

Buchanan literally hauled a man who had passed him to the ground with his hands. It was only not a straight red because he had a teammate quite near him.

2 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Buchanan literally hauled a man who had passed him to the ground with his hands. It was only not a straight red because he had a teammate quite near him.

Behave yourself, he tugged the boys jersey, it was a foul and nothing more.