Diamonds v The Sons - 23 Oct

It's very difficult to see us winning this one. Defensively we've been a shambles in the last two games, and the goals have dried right up.

I hope Faz puts McKee in central midfield and starts Callum Wilson out wide. That aside he can do whatever the heck he likes with the team. I'd be pleased with Duffyballing our way to a 0-0 just to get another point on the board and then building from there. 

You have to win your home games to get promoted and, while it's a bit of a cliche, this is the sort of game we really do have to be winning if we're serious about getting out of this league. I think we've won 3 and drawn 1 (in 90 minutes) of our last 4 home games which (while it shouldn't be) is remarkable given our home form of the last 10 years or so. Which means we're probably due a slip-up! Dumbarton have clearly improved on last season and are no slouches. I do think it would be interesting to see how the team, and Murray, responded to going behind in a game although not so interesting that I want it to happen. Would we still play our attacking brand of football and be able to cut teams open or would we panic and struggle to break teams down like the Murray teams of old? 

Other than switching Watson for Walker (assuming Rico isn't back?) I'd go for exactly the same team as Saturday. Walker grew into the game but we missed Watson as an attacking outlet and his experience, shrewdness and communication in defence. 

I'll optimistically go for 2-0 Airdrie with a goal in each half. Currie and Ross McLean to be sent off for 'handbags' just before half-time and Scott McGill to go in goals and keep a clean-sheet. 

Edited by airdrieman

49 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

You have to win your home games to get promoted and, while it's a bit of a cliche, this is the sort of game we really do have to be winning if we're serious about getting out of this league. I think we've won 3 and drawn 4 (in 90 minutes) of our last home games which (while it shouldn't be) is remarkable given our home form of the last 10 years or so. Which means we're probably due a slip-up! Dumbarton have clearly improved on last season and are no slouches. I do think it would be interesting to see how the team, and Murray, responded to going behind in a game although not so interesting that I want it to happen. Would we still play our attacking brand of football and be able to cut teams open or would we panic and struggle to break teams down like the Murray teams of old? 

Other than switching Watson for Walker (assuming Rico isn't back?) I'd go for exactly the same team as Saturday. Walker grew into the game but we missed Watson as an attacking outlet and his experience, shrewdness and communication in defence. 

I'll optimistically go for 2-0 Airdrie with a goal in each half. Currie and Ross McLean to be sent off for 'handbags' just before half-time and Scott McGill to go in goals and keep a clean-sheet. 

Hahaha. He would, as well. 

Agree with the sentiment, we ought to be winning this if we carry on our form and the players will feel they should have had the three points wrapped up before the red card and collapse in the reverse fixture, but when you're doing well, as a fan, you're always waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

Definitely expect this to be a tougher game than Saturday past, but it's there to be won. 

I'm tempted by this one. Will depend on what the weather is like whether or not I go through. Equally tempting is Ottawa v NY Rangers on telly at 6pm with a couple of beers and some scran.

I'm not sure whats happened with us lately? We're not as strong defensively as we were last year. I don't think Ryan McGeever has looked anything like the same centre half and I'm not convinced with Paddy Boyle at left back. We were well in the game in the first half on Saturday but we looked iffy after conceding the first goal. Could be one of those games where if we score first then we've got a great chance of a result but if we concede first then we've no chance of getting back into it. Heads go down when we concede the first goal and we convince ourselves that we're going to lose.

I quite like the idea of Mclean up front and Orsi playing off him, but that does mean Joe McKee being punted out wide. I don't think we get anything like the best from McKee in that role. I wouldn't be against seeing us change things a bit. We can't keep doing what we've done for the past couple of games because thats only going to guarantee more of the same. We need to do something to try and change our results. Performances this season haven't been bad at all until we lose the first goal - Cove and Queens Park at home are the obvious examples - but when we lose that first goal then we fall out of games. 

If Faz goes with 4 centre mids again then we can forget it. Hopefully Geggan and one of Pignatiello/Carswell/McKee drop out of the squad to accommodate young Wilson and Duthie. I have to admit, despite some decent performances I haven’t been massively convinced with any of the central midfielders this season. Carswell and Pignatiello have put in some good performances but they have put in an equal amount of honkers as well. Geggan just looks miles off it unfortunately and his tendancy to just kick folk just makes him a total liability (anyone else think he was lucky to stay on the park on Saturday after two ridiculous fouls in the space of minute!?). I’m not entirely sure what the answer is either, would paring one of them with McKee leave us even more wide open at the back? f**k knows. 

24 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'm tempted by this one. Will depend on what the weather is like whether or not I go through. Equally tempting is Ottawa v NY Rangers on telly at 6pm with a couple of beers and some scran.

I'm not sure whats happened with us lately? We're not as strong defensively as we were last year. I don't think Ryan McGeever has looked anything like the same centre half and I'm not convinced with Paddy Boyle at left back. We were well in the game in the first half on Saturday but we looked iffy after conceding the first goal. Could be one of those games where if we score first then we've got a great chance of a result but if we concede first then we've no chance of getting back into it. Heads go down when we concede the first goal and we convince ourselves that we're going to lose.

I quite like the idea of Mclean up front and Orsi playing off him, but that does mean Joe McKee being punted out wide. I don't think we get anything like the best from McKee in that role. I wouldn't be against seeing us change things a bit. We can't keep doing what we've done for the past couple of games because thats only going to guarantee more of the same. We need to do something to try and change our results. Performances this season haven't been bad at all until we lose the first goal - Cove and Queens Park at home are the obvious examples - but when we lose that first goal then we fall out of games. 

I'm actually really concerned by both McGeever and Buchanan at the moment. The amount of individual mistakes they are making that lead directly to a goal is seriously hurting us. Bucky was at fault for Alloa's opener a few weeks ago, McGeever had a shocker for quite a few up at Peterhead, with Bucky also at fault for the fourth (I think?). Neither covered themselves in glory against Queen's Park - but then again, who did? 

It will not happen, but I wouldn't be against moving Carsy into defence. I actually feel he's generally quite decent in there when he's filled in, and we're overflowing with midfielders. Carsy in at centre-half, a fit-again Paul Paton (if that's even possible) alongside McKee in central midfield, with MacLean in behind Orsi. Wilson and Duthie wide. It's harsh on Carlo, but I've liked what I've seen from Paton and he would do the dirty work to allow McKee to do the ball-playing. I wouldn't mind Carlo going in at right-back in place of Edin Lynch mind you. 

I think Faz wants a settled defence. Which is understandable. I just don't feel the settled defence we have at the moment are justifying their places each week.

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Is Paton fit? I think a deeper sitting midfield pairing of Paton and Carswell would allow us to play McKee further forward and Orsi, Wilson and Mclean up front. Could maybe move Carlo to right back too.

Faz said he should be. But if I had a tenner for every time I had been told Paton should be fit then I'd have enough to buy us a goalscoring striker.

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If Faz goes with 4 centre mids again then we can forget it. Hopefully Geggan and one of Pignatiello/Carswell/McKee drop out of the squad to accommodate young Wilson and Duthie. I have to admit, despite some decent performances I haven’t been massively convinced with any of the central midfielders this season. Carswell and Pignatiello have put in some good performances but they have put in an equal amount of honkers as well. Geggan just looks miles off it unfortunately and his tendancy to just kick folk just makes him a total liability (anyone else think he was lucky to stay on the park on Saturday after two ridiculous fouls in the space of minute!?). I’m not entirely sure what the answer is either, would paring one of them with McKee leave us even more wide open at the back? f**k knows. 

Good post.  It's a football truism that the team that controls the midfield generally controls the game, and it's interesting that criticism is now being directed at the defence - that will be the same defence that held out at Montrose and Falkirk when we were backs to the wall for long spells due to midfield deficiencies.

Simply put we have very poor ball retention in midfield and an imbalance of grafters over creators, whilst playing McKee wide vastly diminishes his presence.  If Stokes is fit I'd be tempted to give him a role to hopefully inject some energy, with Geggan dropping behind a midfield of Pig, McKee and Stokes/Wilson.

We do though have an issue at left-back - PB again looked well off it in the last 30 mins last week and his inability to get forward is IMO reducing the effectiveness of Wilson.  Maybe time to give Muir a chance ?

29 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

We do though have an issue at left-back - PB again looked well off it in the last 30 mins last week and his inability to get forward is IMO reducing the effectiveness of Wilson.  Maybe time to give Muir a chance ?

Perhaps we can sneak Rico back on the bus...

This will tell us a lot about this teams character. An unacceptable heavy defeat at Peterhead followed by a slightly more acceptable defeat at home to QP, shipping 8 goals without reply in the process. That could be enough to ruin confidence at both ends of the pitch but hopefully we see a reaction on Saturday. Agree with the comments that Faz needs to work out what we're doing, there's probably a couple of combinations that make us better but he needs to find them quickly. I'm not really concerned we'll go down this year despite the last two results but if we are to make any sort of run at the play-offs then we need to pick ourselves up on Saturday. 

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Good post.  It's a football truism that the team that controls the midfield generally controls the game, and it's interesting that criticism is now being directed at the defence - that will be the same defence that held out at Montrose and Falkirk when we were backs to the wall for long spells due to midfield deficiencies.

Simply put we have very poor ball retention in midfield and an imbalance of grafters over creators, whilst playing McKee wide vastly diminishes his presence.  If Stokes is fit I'd be tempted to give him a role to hopefully inject some energy, with Geggan dropping behind a midfield of Pig, McKee and Stokes/Wilson.

I dont think Muir did much wrong at the start of the season. Similar raw performance to Daniel Harvie. He needed time to adapt to the pace of adult men's football, but when he did you could see that he was growing into the role.

Have gone for a 2-0 home win but expect it to be a tough game. Dumbarton cannot be taken for granted but our home form has been good recently. The midfield has been much improved with McInroy and I think Gal has been leading the line so well.  Dumbarton have sprung surprises in L1 but 2 heavy defeats might have dented their optimism. First goal is so crucial so I hope we get it. 

I’ve a lot of respect for Dumbarton due to the way they started this season and don’t anticipate an easy game for us in any way. 

I do think we’ll just tip it over the edge though. Maybe a 2-0 or 2-1.

Our form over the last 6 has been excellent and there’s actually some decent football to go along with the results.

The likes of Easton and McInroy seem a fit match for any midfield in this league so I’m not fearing in that area. We’ve been very very solid at the back and I think last Saturday proved that. 

But as I said, a lot of respect for Dumbarton and I don’t see it being a clean sweep. ♦️ 

18 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

I’ve a lot of respect for Dumbarton due to the way they started this season and don’t anticipate an easy game for us in any way. 

I do think we’ll just tip it over the edge though. Maybe a 2-0 or 2-1.

Our form over the last 6 has been excellent and there’s actually some decent football to go along with the results.

The likes of Easton and McInroy seem a fit match for any midfield in this league so I’m not fearing in that area. We’ve been very very solid at the back and I think last Saturday proved that. 

But as I said, a lot of respect for Dumbarton and I don’t see it being a clean sweep. ♦️ 

You're fairly method acting this role 😂