County v Livi - 23/10/21

Maybe it's just because I was a kid at the time but I always liked Kriston, he wasn't the worst player I remember us signing. I'd also like to add Mark Tinkler to the list of mega-shite defenders we've had in the past. 
Still, the fact that we signed Kelly is a little mind-boggling. Our recruitment has been solid af for about 5 seasons, and Kelly is such an obviously shite signing that there must be something obvious I'm missing
How young were you? Kriston was brutal. There's a story that at one of the teams he played with after Livi, his team mates locked him in the toilet at half time so he couldn't get back out. Mark Tinkler is an odd one. As a defender he was woeful but when we moved him to holding midfield with a full defence behind him he became a bit rolls Royce, seemed more a story of him playing out of position. Lee Matthews is always one that sticks in my mind too. I remember being at a fan Q&A session at the stadium and Mark Proctor being asked why we signed him because he's so shite only for Mark to try defend the signing because Lee was stood at the back of the room. In fairness the big guy was brand new as a person but never a football player

53 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
4 hours ago, thruthenight said:
Maybe it's just because I was a kid at the time but I always liked Kriston, he wasn't the worst player I remember us signing. I'd also like to add Mark Tinkler to the list of mega-shite defenders we've had in the past. 
Still, the fact that we signed Kelly is a little mind-boggling. Our recruitment has been solid af for about 5 seasons, and Kelly is such an obviously shite signing that there must be something obvious I'm missing

How young were you? Kriston was brutal. There's a story that at one of the teams he played with after Livi, his team mates locked him in the toilet at half time so he couldn't get back out. Mark Tinkler is an odd one. As a defender he was woeful but when we moved him to holding midfield with a full defence behind him he became a bit rolls Royce, seemed more a story of him playing out of position. Lee Matthews is always one that sticks in my mind too. I remember being at a fan Q&A session at the stadium and Mark Proctor being asked why we signed him because he's so shite only for Mark to try defend the signing because Lee was stood at the back of the room. In fairness the big guy was brand new as a person but never a football player

Was it Tinkler that scored an absolute scorcher of a 40 odd yarder, ball was only about a foot off the ground and just went in like an exocet missile, think it was Clyde away, but wouldn't put my life on it. Dark recesses of my mind recalls this.

*edit to add, Paul Deas scored one even better from just inside the opposition half when he hit it, one of the best goals i've seen for Livi. Over the years i'm sure it was even further back, about 75 yards out.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Was it Tinkler that scored an absolute scorcher of a 40 odd yarder, ball was only about a foot off the ground and just went in like an exocet missile, think it was Clyde away, but wouldn't put my life on it. Dark recesses of my mind recalls this.

Missile isn't the description I would use.

53 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Missile isn't the description I would use.

Lol, aye must've seemed better at the time and got clouded somewhat in my memory, didn't look that spectacular there.😂

Well done finding it, would love to see the Paul Deas goal i was talking about, but don't think there were any cameras around at that time.

5 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

Can't tell if I want us to win this or to get embarrassingly pumped rotten so Mackay gets binned quicker.

Surely he’s there for the season? Would McGregor swallow his pride and bin his project 2 months in?

Surely he’s there for the season? Would McGregor swallow his pride and bin his project 2 months in?

I can’t see him being binned personally. Especially after that woeful statement he gave the day before appointing MM, about building over the next few years and finding our identity again. Birthday caird pish.

20 hours ago, TheScarf said:

He did shitcan Dick Campbell in early October when we were actually top of the 2nd Division but that was a pretty different Roy McGregor. In theory he's never been afraid of punting a manager early in the past, hell, the press would argue he was too quick getting rid of their pals. But he does seem to have gotten his back up over the reaction to appointing a racist so who the hell knows?

Pretty much written this season off, we're going down but at least the sooner we get rid of Malky we can maybe avoid the disaster of having no manager overseeing the entire squad being released & there being no new players brought in for weeks & we're left signing a bunch of dregs. And more importantly the sooner we get rid of Malky the sooner I can actually not be utterly embarrassed by Ross County. Or at least only be embarrassed that they are rotten at football rather than everything else.

10-0 Livingston please.

23 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It's really been almost 5 months. Mackay was appointed in late May. I know the season itself is only 9 games old but it's not like he's just in the door. He had the whole of (an admittedly covid-disrupted) pre-season to prepare for the campaign.

MacGregor has been conspicuous by his silence recently. His last intervention of note was that disastrous interview with the P&J where he got any number of things wrong about Mackay (showing his due diligence wasn't worth the fag packet it was written on the back of). There's no Cormack-esque vote of confidence in sight.

You'd think he'd have to raise his head back above the parapet soon, whether it's to back his man or to recognise it's not working out.

ETA: And as others have pointed out, MacGregor has not been shy to take action when it's not been working out as he wanted. See Willie McStay and Dick Campbell in particular. Owen Coyle to a lesser extent, and Jim McIntyre when the entire media class thought it was an outrage (although a lot of County fans think should have been done sooner).

Edited by Forfinn