Bovril

I haven't eaten or drank anything at the football in years, save for a brief dalliance with the fucking magnificent SABP peh at Gayfield, but it would be weird for me to have bovril outwith a football ground. Like having communion wafers as a snack. 

Bovril on a cold day is perfect though, with the added cocktail of cortisol and adrenaline brought on by the ever present danger of having boiling hot liquid knocked out of your hand. You could drink it straight away. There is a skill in drinking hot liquid, you take sups off of the surface of the liquid, but only the surface. If your sup breaches the surface and you get some from the layer below then that's a mouthful of magma. Or you could use it as a hand warmer and wait for it to cool sufficiently to render all of it drinkable. But there could be a goal, or a flying ball, or some other incident that sends it onto your lap or hands. Truly a Mission Impossible movie of a drink.

The smell of bovril mixed with pipe smoke/proper baccy (tar filled death-sticks like senior service) sends me into a Proustian reverie. Sigh.

2 hours ago, Tynierose said:

One of my earliest memories of bovril was attending a game at the old Brockville and some punter giving themselves a 3rd degree burn after spilling bovril over their baws.  

I agree with the others who say the little packets are much better than out the jar.

Scalding your baws with steaming Bovril = much better than watching Falkirk

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Big team found

😆 

My family are devout bead rattlers (faither army has a set in the pocket of each of his many jackets, so this is quite literal) and I was an altar boy til I was 15, hence the frame of reference. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/10/2021 at 13:05, velo army said:

The smell of bovril mixed with pipe smoke/proper baccy (tar filled death-sticks like senior service) sends me into a Proustian reverie. Sigh.

Never have the words "My Team : Partick Thistle" been so redundant.

Can only get jars in this backwater of an island and I'm far too far away from the border to see what UK centric shops do (same for bloody vimto) love having one of afternoon when WFH and having a video meeting. 

Would love to get hold of the powder stuff

• 2 months later...
On 21/11/2021 at 21:21, weirdcal said:

Can only get jars in this backwater of an island and I'm far too far away from the border to see what UK centric shops do (same for bloody vimto) love having one of afternoon when WFH and having a video meeting. 

Would love to get hold of the powder stuff

I think I've seen it in Dealz before.

16 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

I think I've seen it in Dealz before.

Dealz did have it, daddy's brown sauce and tins of vimto and irn bru when I first moved here, sadly not any longer. 

Found an Iceland today and managed to get bottles of vimto and the daddy's brown sauce (and greggs scotch pies) so not entirely lost. 

• 4 weeks later...