Bovril

I had a bovril at starks Park in August and it must have been the first one I've had in years. It was hotter than the sun but glorious accompanied with a steak pie. 

It seems strange to drink it in an other setting. A bit like having a manky donner kebab when you're not pished at a taxi rank. 

Rarely have it outside it's natural environment of the football ground. Bizarrely found it sold at games down south without pepper available. Hence why I started keeping a tub of ground pepper with my season ticket.

Bovril is fucking delicious, the perfect drink to accompany a peh at the game. Genuinely disgraceful that there’s folk here who haven’t even tried it*

With that said, this thread has reminded me that there’s some bovril in the cupboard so I’m away to make myself a cup.

*unless you are veggie

It’s the only thing I’d drink at the football as I’m a bit of a coffee snob tbh and wouldn’t drink tea or coffee out of a pre-packed plastic tub. If anything I find bovril to be a bit cooler than I prefer it at the match these days; health & safety seems to have stopped the sale of nice hot bovril.

I have bovril at home and enjoy a salt and peppery mug of it on a chilly evening.

6 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

It's actually quite good with whisky. I'll often have a whisky and bovril whilst out walking the dog over the Christmas period.

If I hadn’t had a drink for three and a bit years I’d be right on that. What a great invention. Have you thought of adding a bit of Crabbie’s to it?

Bovril was invented in Edinburgh.

I usually have a coffee at HT (pie and coffee, the middle class wankers Scottish football website) but have had the odd Bovril now and again.

My mate told me he asked for a cup of tea at Tynecastle once, put milk and sugar in, took a sip and nearly boaked. The lassie had given him a cup of Bovril 

There was a jar of freeze dried Bovril we used at Edinburgh City games. It looked like someone's granddad's ashes..

Bovril was invented in Edinburgh.
I usually have a coffee at HT (pie and coffee, the middle class wankers Scottish football website) but have had the odd Bovril now and again.
My mate told me he asked for a cup of tea at Tynecastle once, put milk and sugar in, took a sip and nearly boaked. The lassie had given him a cup of Bovril 
There was a jar of freeze dried Bovril we used at Edinburgh City games. It looked like someone's granddad's ashes..
If you work it out Bovril is more expensive than even the best instant Coffee (L'Or) and considerably more expensive then the garbage you get at a football match.

I can never have one at a game without sitting in constant dread of some carthorse player booting the ball into the stands and directly onto my cup, giving me permanent facial burns. 

Definitely haven't bought one since Sean McGinty played for us. 

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

unless you are veggie

Bovril sold in Australia has the wording “suitable for vegetarians” on the label. No coos used in making it as there is still a ban on beef and beef products since the CJD outbreak in 1996. 

30 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

I can never have one at a game without sitting in constant dread of some carthorse player booting the ball into the stands and directly onto my cup, giving me permanent facial burns. 

Definitely haven't bought one since Sean McGinty played for us. 

It happened to me at Coldsteam v Edinburgh City. Passing behind the goal at half time a stray practice shot knocked my pie out of my hand.

Useless City b*****ds.

Nothing better than a pie (with brown sauce) and a steaming cup of Bovril once in the ground, after a couple of pre-match pints. I can’t think of a better combination. Kinda weird though that it’s the only time I every drink it at the football. Never take a flask of bovril, fishing, out walking or to any other sporting event for example.