Queen’s Park v Alloa Athletic

2 hours ago, printer said:

Excellent. Good to hear Sena speaking.

Quite enjoying getting the players on to co-comms. It's just a little interview in the quiet moments and I'm getting to know them a little better. Of course there's some that are less eloquent - I've enjoyed the two so far though.

Just now, LeodhasXD said:

Quite enjoying getting the players on to co-comms. It's just a little interview in the quiet moments and I'm getting to know them a little better. Of course there's some that are less eloquent - I've enjoyed the two so far though.

Good idea. Both Trouts and Sena have been entertaining.

Gilmour’s tackle is actually worse than I thought and I thought it was a red then. We’re not nasty enough. Should have been over surrounding the ref and in Gilmour’s face. Reactions can influence decisions.

9 minutes ago, an86 said:

Gilmour’s tackle is actually worse than I thought and I thought it was a red then. We’re not nasty enough. Should have been over surrounding the ref and in Gilmour’s face. Reactions can influence decisions.

I think it's a yellow, but it's too close to a red for comfort. I, and I'm sure most Alloa fans at the game, feared the worse, especially given our recent history.

Just watched the highlights (again 😍) and it really was a cracking game of football. Competitive throughout, loads of chances for both teams and that finish. Not sure how Queen's didn't score when Robbo cleared off the line twice.

A draw would have bee a fair result , that said we really need those points

looking back at gilmour's challenge is cringeworthy stuff but maybe not quite dangerous enough to warrant a red , but wasn't far away

from one .

Some consistency now please , enough false dawn's already .

That was a brilliant performance in the second half.

Was critical of Barry Ferguson last week but he deserves praise for dropping King, Church and Henderson who have been poor in recent weeks.

Hopefully now he can see that guys like Cawley and Robertson should start every week. Henderson did well when he came on and hopefully that is the boot up the a**e he needed after a couple of poor performances.

Still not convinced about Mendy and Wright doesn't look like he has improved much since his first stint but maybe just needs time. I know people have said about Durnan being good, still to see that, but might show it with a better partner.

Even although we are mid table we have one of the strongest squads in the league and hopefully we can build on a great win yesterday. 

Excellent highlights yesterday and thought Senna was great entertainment as co-commentator.

We certainly carried a wee bit of luck in terms of the handball in the area (which looked a stick on pen at the time and same on highlights) and the Gilmour challenge, which as stated could have led to a red card, it's very close.
The one where Henderson was clean through and didn't even get a foul was also bizarre.
What a 2nd half that was though when you look back at the highlights. Crazy chances passed up at both ends. The commentary with Sena is great too.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Should have been a straightforward QP win. However, from the moment we kicked the ball straight out of the park from the kick-off, we were chasing the game. We looked slow to every challenge, poor first touches (it did look hard to control some of the passes as the ball bounced up a lot on the surface. It is a shame that the two good finishes from Bob McHugh will be overlooked among the chaotic ending to the game. Well played Alloa.  

2 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Have you done an interview with Mendy yet? Lovely chap, marginal (or less, on many days) defender, fan favorite at Raith. I’m not surprised to hear he’s still a little off position, but it sound like he’s doing decent over there. The most infuriating thing about Mendy was he’d have a massive game, you figured he’d twigged it, and then it was keystone cops again the next match he played. If he’s playing  every week, is he showing development like he did at Kelty?

3 hours ago, printer said:

I think it's a yellow, but it's too close to a red for comfort. I, and I'm sure most Alloa fans at the game, feared the worse, especially given our recent history.

Just watched the highlights (again 😍) and it really was a cracking game of football. Competitive throughout, loads of chances for both teams and that finish. Not sure how Queen's didn't score when Robbo cleared off the line twice.

As did Murray!

8 hours ago, an86 said:

It was brutal, not in keeping with the way Alloa played at all. Straight red. Bit that frustrates me is that with so long to go in the game none of our auld heids drew the guy in for a second yellow.

9 hours ago, qpfc said:

Obviously the defence are accountable but there are a fair few goals this season where Muir could of done more I’d say. Alloa away, he could of made more of an attempt to save the free kick, Clyde away he gave a stupid penalty away, despite missing the resulting pen. Was very slow to get down for Peterhead’s opening goal and didn’t look in the slightest bit commanding yesterday. His distribution has improved immeasurably and I’d he say he’d start for a lot of league 1 teams but I’ve been seriously impressed with Ferrie whenever he’s played and won Stirling player of the year a few years back whilst on loan there. I’d give Muir the gloves for next week but he really needs to make a lot more saves to help the defence out than he currently is 

Watched all four goals again, twice. I’ve never played in goals other than for fun, maybe you have. I genuinely can’t see where he could have improved on any of those goals. If anything his defence are giving him the jitters. Going by your standard, all three Killie goals should have been saved by Ferrie.

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Watched all four goals again, twice. I’ve never played in goals other than for fun, maybe you have. I genuinely can’t see where he could have improved on any of those goals. If anything his defence are giving him the jitters. Going by your standard, all three Killie goals should have been saved by Ferrie.

Nah you’ve missed the point, it’s not a case of whether he made errors or has been horrendous for the goals, also my point isn’t the Alloa game in isolation. Its the continuation of just not saving anything that’s coming at him at this point. I’m not the only that thinks that either. I’d hardly say we’re conceding from quality finishing. I’d argue he could of got down quicker for Alloa’s 3rd but I’d be more fuming at Thompson for how easy it was for the Alloa player to head the ball on to Henderson to score. Thompson also loses out on the corner for Alloa’s 2nd. Does Darren Lyon still exist ? He’s isn’t a world beater by any means but he always done a job in midfield when called upon 

Edited by qpfc

17 hours ago, TxRover said:

Have you done an interview with Mendy yet? Lovely chap, marginal (or less, on many days) defender, fan favorite at Raith. I’m not surprised to hear he’s still a little off position, but it sound like he’s doing decent over there. The most infuriating thing about Mendy was he’d have a massive game, you figured he’d twigged it, and then it was keystone cops again the next match he played. If he’s playing  every week, is he showing development like he did at Kelty?

Certainly works very hard and I think the fans would love him to do well but he makes fundamental errors every game. If the team was being picked on merit he wouldn't be playing at all. I'm not overly hopeful he'll improve with more games either, doesn't seem to know how to play centre half. 

Great win on Sunday and hopefully it will instill a bit of confidence. As we have been saying for weeks, the squad is very capable if utilised correctly. 

On 25/10/2021 at 22:06, qpfc said:

I’d be more fuming at Thompson for how easy it was for the Alloa player to head the ball on to Henderson to score. Thompson also loses out on the corner for Alloa’s 2nd. Does Darren Lyon still exist ? He’s isn’t a world beater by any means but he always done a job in midfield when called upon 

Aye, a strange one. Vanished. He’s a bit like Travis. You wouldn’t put him on the jukebox or even buy an album, but you wouldn’t switch the radio over either. Just a solidly inoffensive footballer. Whereas, Thomson played like fucking Nickelback on Sunday.

On 25/10/2021 at 11:49, qpfc said:

Alloa away, he could of made more of an attempt to save the free kick, Clyde away he gave a stupid penalty away, despite missing the resulting pen. 

Goalkeepers' Union post here....

Think you're being a tad harsh. It was a great free kick that went in off the bar and was more or less in the top corner. No need for a pointless dive for the cameras, he was never getting it. 

As for the Clyde game, aye that was stupid. But he almost won us the game with that point blank save onto the bar from the header (not his fault Fox made an arse of clearing the rebound) He definitely won us a point when he saved with his legs in injury time.

I like Ferrie as well but, like Muir, he's not perfect. He should have saved the goal at Airdrie imo. He got a decent hand on the shot. But he redeemed himself with  a couple of great saves in the penalty shoot out. A bit like Muir did in the previous round.  If he was going to play Ferrie in the league then the ideal time would have been at Dumbarton, the immediate game after he played so well at Rugby Park. But he stuck with Muir and he (and the whole defence) didn't concede. 

I'm delighted we have two quality keepers pushing each other hard for that jersey. All keepers do daft things from time to time but I've yet to see either let in a howler this season. I'd be happy with either starting but I don't think Muir deserves to be dropped just yet. There are plenty of players in front of him who have been far more responsible for the goals we've conceded in the last two games.