Queen’s Park v Alloa Athletic

I wasn’t keen on Morrison for his forward play. I felt that we were a ball playing team and Ellis wanted us building from the back so it was an issue. The truth is Morrison has pace and can defend. First and foremost you want a defender to defend and then the ability to play out from the back is a bonus. I’m actually now looking forward to getting Morrison back in the side. 

Strange game, even when we went 3-2 down I still didn’t feel we were out of it. Huge last 5 minutes to turn that around and walk away with 3 points. 

Liked that Howie was brought in for King, a change that’s been needed for a good few weeks, as was Robbo in for Church at left back. 

Wee Kev was absolutely terrific today and he was at the heart of everything good from us. 

Huge 3 points to pick up, but massive question marks over Kieran Wright - at fault for the 2nd and 3rd goals with the way he hesitated coming off his line. 

In no way blaming it for the outcome, as we’d still have found a slapstick way to make an arse of it, but I thought Gilmour looked very, very lucky to stay on the pitch for his yellow. Didn’t get a good enough look at the handball shout either, but the appeals were pretty vocal. 

1 minute ago, an86 said:

In no way blaming it for the outcome, as we’d still have found a slapstick way to make an arse of it, but I thought Gilmour looked very, very lucky to stay on the pitch for his yellow. Didn’t get a good enough look at the handball shout either, but the appeals were pretty vocal. 

Can understand that, after the last few weeks I thought he was a goner when he lunged in. 

Thought the handball was pretty much 100% a penalty, although I would say I thought we had a decent shout for one for handball up the other end not long after. 

13 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Huge 3 points to pick up, but massive question marks over Kieran Wright - at fault for the 2nd and 3rd goals with the way he hesitated coming off his line. 

I'm not sure that those goals were just down to Wright, the third in particular no one covered themselves in glory. Difficult to see whether McHugh's two goals were generally poor defensively, but he certainly took them both very well.

The QP posters have been very fair and magnanimous with their views on the game, especially given how it finished, when joy must have turned to misery for them. Of course it was the opposite for us Alloa fans. The most elated I've been after a game for a while.

I thought the players deserved a draw at least. The 88th minute goal certainly looked like it had snatched that from them, but Henderson's two goals were quality and seemed so easy for him. If he can only maintain that focus.

Overall, I agree Howie and Robbo improved the team and Wee Kev was excellent; he's much more effective centrally, both defensively and creatively. His goal was a classy finish, but he'd started the move finding space in the congested left and releasing Taggs (ETA got that wrong, highlights show it was Boyd), who linked up well with Scougall to create the chance.

Very encouraging and just Mendy, who actually did fine today, and centre forward are areas of weakness for me; unless Henderson can maintain that focus and attitude. 

Edited by printer

I'm not sure that those goals were just down to Wright, the third in particular no one covered themselves in glory. Difficult to see whether McHugh's two goals were generally poor defensively, but he certainly took them both very well.
The QP posters have been very fair and magnanimous with their views on the game, especially given how it finished, when joy must have turned to misery for them. Of course it was the opposite for us Alloa fans. The most elated I've been after a game for a while.
I thought the players deserved a draw The 88th minute goal certainly looked like it had snatched that from them, but Henderson's two goals were quality and seemed so easy for him. If he can only maintain that focus.
Overall, I agree Howie and Robbo improved the team and Wee Kev was excellent; he's much more effective centrally, both defensively and creatively. His goal was a classy finish, but he'd started the move finding space in the congested left and releasing Taggs, who linked up well with Scougall to create the chance.
Very encouraging and just Mendy, who actually did fine today, and centre forward are areas of weakness for me; unless Henderson can maintain that focus and attitude. 
I think we need to give Wright his due. Didn't cover himself in glory for goals 2 or 3 but it was his first game playing in front of a back 4 that was a bit frantic.
I still think Durnan is excellent, and elements of his play really showed his experience. The fact Church was replaced with Robbo speaks volumes. Robbo always gives you 100 percent but for god sake he isn't a left back.
Cawley was terrific. In the middle of the park he was a leader and that's what we need- someone to take responsibility. Sena of course was beginning to show real signs of it but in my opinion that's what we've lacked. Cawley has sat on the bench for a while but he really showed his worth today. Was disappointed with Sammon. Happy to see him start but it was a real off day for him.
Very classy finish by Henderson for the winner which was of course an incredible moment. Particularly as I was leaving at 3 2, only sticking around because I thought Connells goal was the 94th minute, and the stadium announcer stated it was 88th.
After some bad days this season the rollercoaster was worth it with that outcome. Let's see if we can build on it next week against an Airdrie team in decent form.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Muir needs rested too. No dive for the header and like a sack of potatoes for the third.

poor at one on ones too for first and fourth.

Looks like he’s giving his defence the jitters and Ferrie deserves a chance.

first substitution strange too.

Ferrie, Davidson, Connell and Murray must all,start next week.

37 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Quite clear from the highlights. Weak defending by Kilday, Thomson, Thomson, Kilday in that order. I like Mikey Doyle a lot but if he wants to be team leader he has to let it rip sometimes.

He pretty much did in his post match interview on Twitter. Good to see that sort of reaction from him and I'm sure he and the rest of the squad won't forget this result.

Thankfully couldn't make the game or even watch the stream yesterday, but those highlights just confirmed the worrying updates I was getting throughout the game. Don't think I can add anything more to the summaries posted before me. That result has been coming for a while but to do it in that manner particularly hurts. We've struggled to see a number of games out so far this season and it needs to be addressed ASAP. 

Not sure which side I stand on in this new Muir/Ferrie debate. Muir has been an absolutely fantastic keeper for QP over the years, but there have been a few instances recently that have raised eyebrows whether that be his decision making or shot stopping, and it's a concern. Also doesn't help Muir that for the first time in forever it's not just a warm body as the backup keeper, but a talented player who could arguably start for most teams in this league. I think Muir has to keep his spot for now and get out of this poor run, but we all know professional football doesn't run on goodwill, so maybe a difficult and controversial decision has to be made by Ellis shortly. 

To be fair, the draw at Alloa was a worse result than this. Alloa were very decent and, say what you like about Bazza, he got his tactics spot on. Cawley and Boyd were outstanding. Gilmour should have been off but was immense.

Red card? I think you'd find it would be in the English Premiership with the cameras there. That was brutal.  But this isn't the English Premiership.

Decent shout for the handball penalty claim; the ref was close but let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was unsighted.

We were slower than a week in the jail at the back and it's a massive reality check for us. We've done well to stay top whilst results have gone our way elsewhere, but we really need to stand up and be counted, starting next week at Cove.

I won't join in the criticism of Wullie Muir too strongly, he was left exposed too often. We need to have a rethink how we're going to protect the space in front of the centre of defence.

24 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I won't join in the criticism of Wullie Muir too strongly, he was left exposed too often. We need to have a rethink how we're going to protect the space in front of the centre of defence.

Obviously the defence are accountable but there are a fair few goals this season where Muir could of done more I’d say. Alloa away, he could of made more of an attempt to save the free kick, Clyde away he gave a stupid penalty away, despite missing the resulting pen. Was very slow to get down for Peterhead’s opening goal and didn’t look in the slightest bit commanding yesterday. His distribution has improved immeasurably and I’d he say he’d start for a lot of league 1 teams but I’ve been seriously impressed with Ferrie whenever he’s played and won Stirling player of the year a few years back whilst on loan there. I’d give Muir the gloves for next week but he really needs to make a lot more saves to help the defence out than he currently is 

Edited by qpfc

7 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

To be fair, the draw at Alloa was a worse result than this. Alloa were very decent and, say what you like about Bazza, he got his tactics spot on. Cawley and Boyd were outstanding. Gilmour should have been off but was immense.

Red card? I think you'd find it would be in the English Premiership with the cameras there. That was brutal.  But this isn't the English Premiership.

Decent shout for the handball penalty claim; the ref was close but let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was unsighted.

We were slower than a week in the jail at the back and it's a massive reality check for us. We've done well to stay top whilst results have gone our way elsewhere, but we really need to stand up and be counted, starting next week at Cove.

Although I'm not Barry's biggest fan I think it was a smart move playing cawley in beside Gilmour as I thought he was alloa best player, he worked hard at breaking up play and was always in support in attacking sense, he's a clever player Cawley and I often think the only reason he's not played at a level higher is he's just not strong enough  on the ball at times but I'm glad we've got him 

When Gilmour made the tackle I thought a red would have been shown so alloa got off with one there I think, 

The hand ball could easily have been a penalty and there was one in the 1st half where alloa could have had one as well . 

I though queens were very decent midfield to attack and some of theyre passing and  moving 1-2s were impressive

Regarding youre keeper I don't think he done much wrong and wasnt at fault for any of the goals as  3 of them were good finishes and the header landed right in the corner, you could say a man on the post would have cleared it but that doesn't happen now,  

Only negatives for alloa was I felt mendy was ball watching a bit for the 1st goal and didn't track the striker, and the keeper was at fault for the 2nd and 3rd goals with being too slow to come out and shut down especially at the 2nd goal where he would have collected the ball with a bit to spare,  But a massive 3 points for alloa as a queens win would have taken them 12 clear, if alloa can get a run going theyres no reason why they can't be up challenging instead theyve been dealing with all sorts of problems on and off the park and its been a bit stop start