Queen’s Park v Alloa Athletic

Back to watching game on stream today due to positive COVID test. For all that it’s nothing like being there - really glad we have this option for times like this.
For Mrs Boris’s sake I’m hoping for a comfortable, hassle free victory. She thought the days of me shouting at the TV had gone. ( well diminished anyway).

That was a bit too exciting for me. Alloa worth the win. Defended well, matched us in midfield and pulled us out of shape at the back.

Losing four goals at home isn't very clever, but we've shown we don't defend set pieces very well. We have also shown we have some decent quality, but play to supress it most of the time. First half we really didn't look like scoring, but Bob McHugh did well with both goals.

Hopefully this heralds a re-think.

That was a great game of football today A draw would have been a fair result if being honest but take the win, hopefully alloa can kick on from this, good performances all over the park, only negatives I would say was mendy caught ball watching for the 1st goal and goalkeeper at fault for 2nd an 3rd goals by being too slow to come off his line although to be fair he had a couple of good saves and im sure he got a touch on a free kick that hit the post.

Defending not good enough. We’ve failed to see our games a few times now. The winner is Sunday league level. We could have lost against Clyde in a similar fashion. Fortunate not to concede a late winner there with the three points nearly in the bag. A ridiculous league tbh. 

That’s a sickener but if I’m being honest, that defeat has been coming. We’ve looked shoddy at the back for a while now and it was fully exposed today. However, In no scenario should we chuck away a game when going 3-2 up in the 88th minute, it’s embarrassing how often we panic and lose concentration after scoring a goal and I genuinely think you could of drafted one of the local pensioners and they’d of ran quicker than Kilday for that 4th goal 

Serious questions now are raised with the defence. Fox is brilliant and Doyle is solid but Kilday hasn’t even looked half the player of last season, whilst Robson continues to be posted missing anytime players venture forward down his side. As soon as Morrison is fit, he’s got to play straight away as we badly miss his pace. Muir didn’t cover himself in glory at any point and maybe now the defence has become rocky, it’s maybe exposed Muir’s limitations? He’s a good keeper but he’s generally not making any key saves at the moment. Someone mentioned that he had 19 clean sheets from the last 31 but I really think the defence in front of him helped him out big time. I would pose the question to Ellis, for him to maybe consider Ferrie if this continues 

Finally, can we please play our best players from the start ? If Connell is fit enough for the bench, he should be fit enough to play a game of football and quite frankly not starting him is embarrassing. He’s the best player in the league IMO, and his 10 minute cameo was nothing short of outstanding. Pressure is on Ellis to see how react to a defeat, and with Cove away next week, we’ll really see what these players are made of

Kilday has been woeful. Our defensive record since his return has been abysmal and he’s directly to blame for many conceded. Foxy didn’t cover himself in glory today either. Extremely poor defending for the 90 but a defeat has been coming I reckon. Serious scrutiny and accountability required for the defending. 

Really happy for Bob getting his 2 good goals. 

Amazing scenes to get the 3rd but heartbreaking how it ended. Great game for the neutral.

I think Jack Thompson has had 1 good game in a QP jersey? I was delighted to get Luca back but I’ll not be wanting Jack back. 

A lot of kids invited to the game today. Learn the heartache of football early guys 😂

What a game. In truth this type of result has been knocking on our door for some time. We have been remarkably fortunate to be where we are in the league with so many key players out. The next two or three weeks could define our season. If we get to Christmas still challenging I am confident we will do well. It should feel like a new team when our key guys return. As for today it was one of those days when defending and composure went out the window. At risk of being insulted again we need a goalkeeper who is imposing commands his area and gives confidence to the defence. I am sorry but Wullie is not that man. I believe we may have one and would like to see him given a chance. I was surprised we did not address our striking force at the beginning of the season instead of bringing in more midfielders than we need but it is what it is. It will be interesting to see how we respond next week. We desperately need Morrison back and defensively left back is a problem area. But hey, we are top of the league. Just think how Falkirk must feel.

Difficult to know where to start really.

First and foremost though I think it would have been very harsh on Alloa if we had won. Thought they were threatening going forward all game with Cawley in particular a stand out as he has been so many times over the years.

Playing Liam Brown on the right (then a limping spell on the left) didn’t really work and just feels like unnecessary tinkering. 

The warning signs about our defending have been there for weeks (Peterhead, Clyde) so like others have said, a capitulation like that was probably on the cards. A slow motion header from a corner, chaotic organisation from a throw on and then Kilday’s embarrassing failure to cut out the ball or foul the guy for the winner.

Never thought I would be desperate for Stuart Morrison to be fit but here we are.

Luca Connell has to start every week when fit now.

Positives first. The goals for QP were excellent. Taking a ball in your stride and firing first time low and accurate is about as hard as it gets for any player and McHugh managed it twice. Don’t know what happened to the other Bob but this one I like. The breakaway goal wouldn’t have looked out of place on a Champions League round-up. Some of the forward movements were a joy to watch.

Negatives. Not a lot really other than all of Alloa’s goals were preventable. The Monday morning game review should be a riot. Credit to the Alloa players who scored for taking their chances but credit also to the Alloa coaching team who spotted that getting tight to our defenders allows an easy turn and that at least one of our defenders can be outpaced by just about any young, fit guy in your squad. Apart from the quality of defending, a huge question should be asked of all about a sloppy, lazy start and thinking the game was won at 3-2. Mikey Doyle touched on subconscious complacency in the programme. I think he’s right.

Tactics. If Brown’s replacement at half-time was anything other than injury then it was a mistake. He’s still not on fire regarding assists or goals but he does a good job of stifling the oppo midfield. Moore is the polar opposite. Energetic and direct he added to the push for a winner but he’s restricted to the left flank. Brown covers both sides of the pitch. And then removing Gillespie to win the game with Connell was a gamble that achieved the third goal but with Brown and Smith both off also we ended up with loads of space in midfield for Alloa to work out of defence. So the pressure was never maintained.

I’m not buying into using Muir as the patsy here. His handling and control of his box was good. Maybe the highlights will show me to be wrong but none of the goals looked to be his fault, even in part. I think it’s pretty obvious that Kilday is struggling at this level. Maybe he’s still not 100%. Pass marks for McHugh, Longridge, Robson, Fox, Doyle, Gillespie and Moore. Possibly Brown though half a game isn’t enough. Kilday and Thomson are the weakest links, regularly.

If we’re looking for trends of certain players not doing well, Longridge was great again today as he was at Dumbarton and Killie. McHugh has been amazing these last two games. Just throwing it out there, but could the random, haphazard style of Murray be cramping the space where these guys could do more?