The battle for Ayrshire supremacy - Ayr United v Killie match thread

4 minutes ago, the west curve said:

That’s the last six times at least that the weather has been like that when Killie  visit. 

Was it like that in 2017? I can't remember. 

I don't remember the weather being bad anyway.

Edited by Richey Edwards

12 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Was it like that in 2017? I can't remember. 

I don't remember the weather being bad anyway.

In 2017 it was a lovely summers evening until about 30 mins before kick off when it starting lashing down with rain. I remember thinking here we go again.

Was pleased seeing the starting lineup, as it fulfilled a few of my own wishes. Reverting back to a 4-3-3, Armstrong coming in to the team, not playing McGinn and Alston next to each other and instead playing McKenzie, who has the legs and the willingness to both break up play but also take us up the park.

The disappointment for me was seeing Naismith on the team sheet, but we know from last season TW is completely blind to the failings of some players. I also feel the reason we switched to 4-4-2 in the first place was to accommodate Shaw and Hendry and for me tonight's starting lineup was still crowbar-ing them both in. Hendry really had little to no impact on the game tonight and if we are going to continue with this system, I think he'll ultimately have to drop one of the strikers.

Also, I'd have picked McGinn over Alston, and thought he was excellent when he came on.

The first half hour went the way I expected it to, just a scrappy battle played out in tough conditions where we lost too many 50/50s and struggled to make an impact. In the last 10-15 minutes of the half I thought we were really growing in to it and half-time came at a bad time for us.

Second half I thought we were better and said to my mate it was really the first time this season I could easily identify a style of play. I feel we've lacked a personality under TW this season. If someone asked you what style of play do Killie play, it would be hard to give an answer. In the second half we actually had a shape to us, it was obvious what people's roles were and what we had identified as weaknesses of theirs that we could exploit.

Naismith was the obvious weak link in the team. Hodson has to start on Saturday. There were various times I watched him running and it could be described as a half-jog at best. It doesn't even look like he's fucked, it just looks like he can't be fucked. A lazy big lump.

Would love to know TW's thinking when taking off Rory, our best player, and then Armstrong, our second best player. I'm not saying it was the wrong move, as clearly Fraser Murray has come on and changed the game (cracking run up the park) and if it was up to me I'd have had Polworth (winner of the pen) off by that point. As someone on the sidelines who readily admits I don't know as much as the manager, I'd just love to know what the thinking behind it was, as it seemed a strange one!

Think the system works and we now need to decide who the attacking 3 are. Armstrong one side, F Murray the other (hopefully tonight gives him that confidence he seems to lack) and Shaw upfront for me. Would be happy with Hendry up instead. Does Burke take Murray's place, or is he bombed out the picture at the moment? Seems to be rumours of a fallout and his attitude definitely seems to have been off lately.

Cracking 3 points and just delighted to have finally seen us win there after nearly 30 years of following the mighty Killie! Top of the league and on to a huge game on Saturday, while Inverness have a tricky tie at Thistle.

Bit confused at Killie fans praising Armstrong. I thought he was absolutely anonymous and was well marshalled by Reading. McKenzie was pretty good though.
Aye I thought Armstrong was pretty poor for us tonight, your full back played him well. How is the big No. 9 for you normally? Doesn't look much of a footballer on tonight's evidence?

On 25/10/2021 at 12:36, Cmac1869 said:

Canny Wait, games like these are ones we need to win to win a league. Hopefully an entertaining fixture with a last minute Killie winner pitch invasion. Hopefully Ayr can bring a good atmosphere, if ayr do win I expect to see the goal from 8000 angles until New Year fixture. 

Cheers easy another win for the good guys. As expected 

7 hours ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

You’d have to be in your late 70’s or even early 80’s to recall with any clarity your league title. Typical fucking keyboard bluster from some delusional c**t who thinks he supports a big club. You’re a regional football club with sporadic success.

Here’s the thing, tonight isn’t being played in front of a flat capped crowd with rattles. I look forward to watching the tear stained 10 year olds stream across the Somerset Road exit as their da’s head for the motor at Craigie Park. They won’t give a flying f**k about any fucking honour from yesteryear, they’ll be fucking raging at yet another Kilmarnock defeat at Somerset Park.

We don’t care what you’ve won, we just fucking hate ye.

Nom

Aye I thought Armstrong was pretty poor for us tonight, your full back played him well. How is the big No. 9 for you normally? Doesn't look much of a footballer on tonight's evidence?

He’s very much a mixed bag. I thought he was okay tonight but he has a tendency to do a lot of things right and then ruin it with a shite touch or pass. His highlight of tonight will undoubtedly be his attempted scissor kick/volley thing that ended up somewhere around South Harbour street.

1 hour ago, Jeff Venom said:

Yep, I mean if you're going get the monkey off your back you might as well win with a last minute penalty in at the railway end.
Killie were better than us second half, though I never really felt like Killie were going to win. We certainly weren't going to win it though; plenty of effort and fight but little quality in that second half.

Plus Reading has to take their boy down on the half way line in the lead up to the penalty. We missed a couple of those while Killie landed a couple of them and that's fine, sometimes need to do that.

Reading was on a booking or I think he would have. Looked like he thought about it.

8 hours ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

You’d have to be in your late 70’s or even early 80’s to recall with any clarity your league title. Typical fucking keyboard bluster from some delusional c**t who thinks he supports a big club. You’re a regional football club with sporadic success.

Here’s the thing, tonight isn’t being played in front of a flat capped crowd with rattles. I look forward to watching the tear stained 10 year olds stream across the Somerset Road exit as their da’s head for the motor at Craigie Park. They won’t give a flying f**k about any fucking honour from yesteryear, they’ll be fucking raging at yet another Kilmarnock defeat at Somerset Park.

We don’t care what you’ve won, we just fucking hate ye.

Fucking canny believe the amount of flat cap wearing Ayr fans throwing their rattles out the pram. This tweet aged well no quite 70/80 years but not to shabbily

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye Baird was indeed pretty solid tonight. He and Fjortoft seem to be fine together for the most part but always, always have a blunder in them. Baird won’t hang about to a bit part player for us so I can see him leaving in the summer along with McGinty.

I'll be honest- I didn't watch that many streams last season beyond November or so when the novelty wore off- but I don't understand the abuse Baird gets.  Anytime I've seen him live he looks like an absolutely average to decent Championship centre half.  

The fact that our best two midfielders are defenders is far more of a concern I'd say.  

Edited by Hursty

Hardly surprising that the Little People lost yet another 'battle for Ayrshire supremacy', given that they're already placed on the mantelpiece of Auchinleck fucking Talbot. 
4B61F62E-7626-4D2E-BE62-3A31CBEC845E.jpeg.fd790b659afe480e96a340c33160a944.jpeg

Even less surprising that “The Famous” still find themselves in the same rut that they’ve been in for about the last 3 years, stuck with a manager that they have no hope of getting rid of unless he decides he’s fed up of managing your teeny tiny little club.

17 minutes ago, virginton said:

Hardly surprising that the Little People lost yet another 'battle for Ayrshire supremacy', given that they're already placed on the mantelpiece of Auchinleck fucking Talbot. 

4B61F62E-7626-4D2E-BE62-3A31CBEC845E.jpeg.fd790b659afe480e96a340c33160a944.jpeg

I’d accept that ribbing if it wasn’t coming from a supporter of a team whose attempts to obtain supremacy in the fucking Renfrewshire Derby have been even more tragic.