The battle for Ayrshire supremacy - Ayr United v Killie match thread

5 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Think we're seeing the hand Duffy has been left by Hopkin and his unbalanced recruitment. O'Connor aside, that's more or less our strongest team and it has 6 defenders in it. We lack creativity. Bradley looks a bright spark, so hopefully he'll improve with game time.

This is definitely partially true, however it didn’t cause us to play for a point - sit fifteen yards deeper, punt the ball up the park and offer nothing all second half. While Duffy looked on, offering nothing constructive and simply waiting to lose. 

I’m going to disagree with my fellow Ayr fans and stick up for Duffy. I don’t think he “settled” on a draw but after how we played in the first half I think he knew we couldn’t match that intensity for the second 45 mins. Our best bet was getting the ball in the corner or feeding Bradley knock downn. Unfortunately there was more than once that Kilmarnock got the break of the ball and we never really got going. My only gripe is that we did drop too deep and allowed Calum Waters to move too high on the left which then let McKenzie play a free role and dictate the game. I would’ve maybe liked to see Salkeld to come on for Chalmers and have him occupy Waters out wide but we instead waited 10 minutes too long and just shifted Bradley out there which meant no one was getting close to Adeloye to get us up the park. Apart from that I don’t think there was any obvious change to make. Afolabi obviously scored on Saturday but I still maintain he’s useless and wouldn’t have been able to do the job that Adeloye did.

TLDR - Criticism of Duffy is too harsh and he couldn’t have done much more tonight with the players he had available to him.

That’s got to smart. 
Yep, I mean if you're going get the monkey off your back you might as well win with a last minute penalty in at the railway end.
Killie were better than us second half, though I never really felt like Killie were going to win. We certainly weren't going to win it though; plenty of effort and fight but little quality in that second half.

Plus Reading has to take their boy down on the half way line in the lead up to the penalty. We missed a couple of those while Killie landed a couple of them and that's fine, sometimes need to do that.

17 minutes ago, kilMARKnock said:

Crowd 6052, eh Findlay can you no count? Embarrassing 

Packages Sold
    then you add on season tickets holders 1247

means 6863 actually paid for the game , how many turned up is a different thing 

Edited by Finlay21

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m going to disagree with my fellow Ayr fans and stick up for Duffy. I don’t think he “settled” on a draw but after how we played in the first half I think he knew we couldn’t match that intensity for the second 45 mins. Our best bet was getting the ball in the corner or feeding Bradley knock downn. Unfortunately there was more than once that Kilmarnock got the break of the ball and we never really got going. My only gripe is that we did drop too deep and allowed Calum Waters to move too high on the left which then let McKenzie play a free role and dictate the game. I would’ve maybe liked to see Salkeld to come on for Chalmers and have him occupy Waters out wide but we instead waited 10 minutes too long and just shifted Bradley out there which meant no one was getting close to Adeloye to get us up the park. Apart from that I don’t think there was any obvious change to make. Afolabi obviously scored on Saturday but I still maintain he’s useless and wouldn’t have been able to do the job that Adeloye did.

TLDR - Criticism of Duffy is too harsh and he couldn’t have done much more tonight with the players he had available to him.

We sat fifteen yards deeper and Duffy appeared to make no attempt to tell us to push higher up the pitch. 

All second half we allowed the Kilmarnock centre halves to drive up the pitch,  and squeeze the game, allowing them to continually win the ball back when we cleared. We did absolutely nothing to counter it - it was dreadful game management. 

We sat fifteen yards deeper and Duffy appeared to make no attempt to tell us to push higher up the pitch. 

All second half we allowed the Kilmarnock centre halves to drive up the pitch,  and squeeze the game, allowing them to continually win the ball back when we cleared. We did absolutely nothing to counter it - it was dreadful game management. 

Yes I know, I’ve said all this.

It doesn’t necessarily point to bad management though.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yes I know, I’ve said all this.

It doesn’t necessarily point to bad management though.

The players should be able to manage this better in game, but if they aren’t then Duffy should absolutely be telling them to get the f**k up the pitch. It’s definitely bad management. 

We have some serious work to do in January though, as you’ve said previously the primary issue is the absolute state that Hopkin and Smith have allowed us to get into. If we don’t bother to address anything then I’ll lose all enthusiasm tbh. 

Muirhead and McAllister were both struggling for fitness second half. McAllister in particular looked done…… This let Killie create up LHS, Duffy should have changed. Tommy was able to sub on players that all played good part in swinging game our way No surprise goal came from run up that side for the Penalty.

Killie definitely much more in control second half and deserved win.. 

Thought Maxwell had good game controlling Armstrong (though he did have good game)

The players should be able to manage this better in game, but if they aren’t then Duffy should absolutely be telling them to get the f**k up the pitch. It’s definitely bad management. 

We have some serious work to do in January though, as you’ve said previously the primary issue is the absolute state that Hopkin and Smith have allowed us to get into. If we don’t bother to address anything then I’ll lose all enthusiasm tbh. 

What we do in January will be entirely down to where we are in the table. A central midfielder is a must regardless of position but if we are either in serious bother of going down or lurking outside the playoffs (unlikely) then I’d like to see us bring in another winger and a centre half.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

What we do in January will be entirely down to where we are in the table. A central midfielder is a must regardless of position but if we are either in serious bother of going down or lurking outside the playoffs (unlikely) then I’d like to see us bring in another winger and a centre half.

I would like to see us do it regardless, if we can get the correct players in on 18 month deals anyway. 

That we are starting with Chalmers and Muirhead at CM in an Ayrshire derby encapsulates the absolute mess we have made of things. 

Jack Baird deserves some credit tonight to be fair to him. 

Edited by No_Problemo

I would like to see us do it regardless, if we can get the correct players in on 18 month deals anyway. 

That we are starting with Chalmers and Muirhead at CM in an Ayrshire derby encapsulates the absolute mess we have made of things. 
Jack Baird deserves some credit tonight to be fair to him. 

Aye Baird was indeed pretty solid tonight. He and Fjortoft seem to be fine together for the most part but always, always have a blunder in them. Baird won’t hang about to a bit part player for us so I can see him leaving in the summer along with McGinty.