Terrifying public information films

ICTChris

Northern Ireland has some brutal Road Safety Adverts

And more famously,

There's one I can't find with something about Rat Poison being in eccies it's less terrifying but I remember that on the news they said it was banned from being shown until after 11pm before showing the worst part of it on the Reporting Scotland - and it was deeply disturbing to a young AA.

From before my time but I mind being shown clips of the “Protect and Survive” videos in a Modern Studies class. Always gives me the creeps, especially that wee melody at the end.

The full series of them is on YouTube as well.

There’s also the small matter of them advising people to live under a door for months before crawling out into the nuclear wasteland. I think I’d rather just get melted away in the initial blast.

3 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

And more famously,

There's one I can't find with something about Rat Poison being in eccies it's less terrifying but I remember that on the news they said it was banned from being shown until after 11pm before showing the worst part of it on the Reporting Scotland - and it was deeply disturbing to a young AA.

Good of Hibernian FC Club to support the first video.

That second one is ridiculously over the top.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

23 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

From before my time but I mind being shown clips of the “Protect and Survive” videos in a Modern Studies class. Always gives me the creeps, especially that wee melody at the end.

The full series of them is on YouTube as well.

There’s also the small matter of them advising people to live under a door for months before crawling out into the nuclear wasteland. I think I’d rather just get melted away in the initial blast.

This video was sampled by Frankie goes to Hollywood for the song "Two Tribes".

I remember the narrator Patrick Allen in adverts where he flew around in a helicopter telling you to buy a Barratt Home.  Presumably safer than any other home in a nuclear war although that went unsaid. 

21 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

I've never been able to find it online, but the film about hypothermia with an airman staggering about a snowy forest certainly encouraged me to eat a hot breakfast before going out to school in winter.

"Warm but not hot drinks should be given. And not alcohol which increases the loss of body heat"

These words used to come back to me staggering home pished from the Aberdeen Students Union in the cold...

Fact: the voice of Charlie the Cat was Kenny Everett

There was a Scottish "Choose Life" anti drugs ad where the druggy boy ends up begging in the street and is passed by the good no drugs boy off to play football. The no drugs healthy lad is wearing a Meadowbank Thistle strip.

Choose life. Not franchises...

10 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Fact: the voice of Charlie the Cat was Kenny Everett

There was a Scottish "Choose Life" anti drugs ad where the druggy boy ends up begging in the street and is passed by the good no drugs boy off to play football. The no drugs healthy lad is wearing a Meadowbank Thistle strip.

Choose life. Not franchises...

Love the f**k it why no nod at the start.  Boy had no self control.  That’s all his problem was.

7 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

And more famously,

That second one is mental

9 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

That version of Sweet Child o' Mine is my main reason for never watching again.

3 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

The urban myth when we were at school was that it was impossible to open a fridge from inside due to it being vacuum sealed 😄

An urban myth yes, but until the 1960s it was true that they could not be opened from the inside and the airtight seal meant that it was difficult to hear someone stuck inside.  

10 hours ago, ajwffc said:

some railway ones 

"... and it's not just the limbs that are taken away from the body, the whole inside is out and spread all over the track"

Nice dose of realism there.