Explosion in Ayr

51 minutes ago, The Master said:

Doorbell footage that just caught the edge. I thought it was just a loud bang and a flash, but keep watching…fucking hell. 

Weird seeing footage like that when you know exactly where it was filmed. It doesn't do the sound of the explosion justice. I'm still spooked by it.

On 18/10/2021 at 20:48, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

The Clarkson disaster in 1971 set the gas industry on it's way to a massive safety overhaul as there we very few regulations if any in place.

The day a Scottish shopping street exploded

The day a Scottish shopping street exploded - BBC News

On 19/10/2021 at 19:56, The Master said:

Doorbell footage that just caught the edge. I thought it was just a loud bang and a flash, but keep watching…fucking hell. 

Pretty lucky that other houses didn't catch from the burning wreckage flying about or that it didn't hit anyone walking their dogs etc.

My boss told us yesterday that this explosion was a result of someone fucking about with their gas supply in order to circumvent the meter. He's from Ayrshire and is always certain about these things, one of these guys who claims that almost every event has a criminal undertone to it. He may well turn out to be correct but I find it fascinating how quickly these narratives form in his head. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

My boss told us yesterday that this explosion was a result of someone fucking about with their gas supply in order to circumvent the meter. He's from Ayrshire and is always certain about these things, one of these guys who claims that almost every event has a criminal undertone to it. He may well turn out to be correct but I find it fascinating how quickly these narratives form in his head. 

See when the house is blown to hell like in this case, how on earth does anyone identify a cause. 

Like I would have no idea where to start when there is nothing there.

4 hours ago, 101 said:

See when the house is blown to hell like in this case, how on earth does anyone identify a cause. 

Like I would have no idea where to start when there is nothing there.

The gas main infrastructure under the houses may give a clue. The reason for the part demolition starting yesterday was to allow for the main to be removed.

If The Sun was correct yesterday, the family injured in the blast lived in the house which blew up.

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

The gas main infrastructure under the houses may give a clue. The reason for the part demolition starting yesterday was to allow for the main to be removed.

If The Sun was correct yesterday, the family injured in the blast lived in the house which blew up.

I’d be shocked if they all survive tbh. Horrible stuff. Genuinely gives you the fear as to how it could happen though. 

I worked with what was Scottish Gas for 16 years until the mid 90s.

Was called to hundreds of leaks, some serious and most not, a few that ignited but in a way that was actually better for us and it could be quite scary as they are uncontrolled leaks but never got called to an explosion.

I've also screamed at police to get their hands of radios in case they blew us up, no gasman ever rings a doorbell for the same reason.

Most of the old pipes, cast, ductile iron and steel pipes were mapped than anything modern, certainly in the Dundee area.

Coincidentally I knew the next door neighbour of the one in Larkhall and spoke to him couple of days after it happened.

That really was horrific.