Explosion in Ayr

2 minutes ago, PWL said:

How the hell can anyone have survived that???!!!! Can only think the house that is gone was empty. 

That was the word last night, although information can be quite inaccurate in the confusion. Hopefully those in hospital recover.

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

Plenty of gas workers around the area this morning. What really angered me last night was the number of folk who drove to have a look at what was going on, getting in the way of emergency vehicles trying to get to the incident. I'll refrain from using the words which describe them appropriately.

We were discussing that behaviour in a university lecture this morning. I think that's awful and ghoulish behaviour.

The delays that these people caused could have resulted in someone's death. I have not heard of any fatalities from last night though, which is at least something positive.

As a rule - if there is an emergency situation somewhere, stay away and let the emergency services access the area. Do not congregate there like a fuckwit. 

17 minutes ago, PWL said:

How the hell can anyone have survived that???!!!! Can only think the house that is gone was empty. 

You would think no one could survive the one that has literally be blown off the face of the earth and if it was empty then it's a miracle. 

Hope those next door and presumably in hospital make a full recovery.

Totally agree with the comments about the ghouls videoing such scenes but on the other hand we often read of appeals for footage of incidents to help with gathering evidence/clues etc - probably not relevant in this scenario though.  Unfortunately, there are those who take advantage of this for their own gratification.  

57 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Scares the shite out of me this stuff. 

This.

My grandad was a tinkerer, he loved to do diy, look after his own car, would even muck about with the plumbing in the house, much to my gran’s annoyance, but he always said “Never f**k around with gas or electricity”.

They are the only things I’d happily never query a price on.

4 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I was staying close to the explosion in Larkhall but slept right through it. I do remember our neighbour had previously reported a gas leak so CID came to investigate as part of a Manslaughter card against the gas company.

You must have been a heavy sleeper. I was staying the opposite end of Larkhall and our house shook. Funnily not much of a noise though. Never gave it another thought until it was reported later.

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

This.

My grandad was a tinkerer, he loved to do diy, look after his own car, would even muck about with the plumbing in the house, much to my gran’s annoyance, but he always said “Never f**k around with gas or electricity”.

They are the only things I’d happily never query a price on.

I'm okay with electricity because I'm an engineer and generally when there's a fault at home it doesn't vaporise your house, but aye, gas terrifies me. 

All residents accounted for apparently. Would assume that must mean the house that has been destroyed was empty and the 4 in hospital lived next door. Hope they make a full recovery. The fact that they were taken to Crosshouse in Killie instead of Ayr Hospital, which is literally 5 minutes away, would suggest their condition wasn't too desperate? But I don't really know.

7 minutes ago, AuAl said:

All residents accounted for apparently. Would assume that must mean the house that has been destroyed was empty and the 4 in hospital lived next door. Hope they make a full recovery. The fact that they were taken to Crosshouse in Killie instead of Ayr Hospital, which is literally 5 minutes away, would suggest their condition wasn't too desperate? But I don't really know.

The trauma unit is at Crosshouse, hence the reason they went there. I did see one person being wheeled away to an ambulance. 

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Hopefully it will be the case that the house was empty, that the injured were in a neighbouring property and their injuries aren't serious.

Can you imagine having been out for the evening, then coming home to find your home in that state?

Better that than 5 minutes after you got in.

8 minutes ago, RedEd said:

The trauma unit is at Crosshouse, hence the reason they went there. I did see one person being wheeled away to an ambulance. 

I see, that makes sense. Hopefully they make a recovery, two kids involved as well, awful man.

I wonder if there is a case for the government funding annual gas appliance checks?

As far as I understand it is only law to have an annual check as the landlord of rented accommodation, but it seems crazy an owner occupier home can have an ancient boiler with no safety checks.

Not suggesting that’s what has happened here mind, but given how catastrophic gas explosions are there needs to be peace of mind that appliances are at least safe.

32 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Hopefully it will be the case that the house was empty, that the injured were in a neighbouring property and their injuries aren't serious.

Can you imagine having been out for the evening, then coming home to find your home in that state?

Anyone who has had teenage children will know the feeling...

13 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Kerr on the ball as well.

72306369-C653-4F7F-B30A-0D1DDEF07A2F.jpeg

I've put a shortcut on my phone to this statement - just in case I'm ever feeling a bit low and need something to cheer me up!

If only the BBC could get Kerr McCann on Mastermind.

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I've put a shortcut on my phone to this statement - just in case I'm ever feeling a bit low and need something to cheer me up!

If only the BBC could get Kerr McCann on Mastermind.

He lives 100 m from the site of the explosion according to the report, yet ran a quarter of a mile to it.

Definitely Military Intelligence.