Explosion in Ayr

Transco were fined £15m back in 2005 after a High Court trial relating to the Larkhall explosion. (The Judge was Lord Carloway who is now the Lord President or top Judge).

It was found Transco's records were incomplete. The gas leak was caused by cracked cast iron pipes and cast iron was apparently still being used into the 90s. 

Edinburgh had seen perpetual roadworks for at least the last five years as gas pipes are replaced with plastic ones. Has the same level of replacement been happening throughout the country since 2005?

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Transco were fined £15m back in 2005 after a High Court trial relating to the Larkhall explosion. (The Judge was Lord Carloway who is now the Lord President or top Judge).

It was found Transco's records were incomplete. The gas leak was caused by cracked cast iron pipes and cast iron was apparently still being used into the 90s. 

Edinburgh had seen perpetual roadworks for at least the last five years as gas pipes are replaced with plastic ones. Has the same level of replacement been happening throughout the country since 2005?

I have experience of cast iron pipework through my employment, SGN call them 'black pipes' as they don't have them on their database, this was around 2005 and as I understand they are still finding them.

11 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

He must have been SAS with that level of expertise.

Probably but he's not allowed to confirm anything. Lets just say if you mention his name in Hereford pubs you'll get a free pint.

3 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Doubt the pipes would be cast iron. The estate was built during the 70s and was a farm prior to that.

This is probably the case.

Looking at the photos, the problem looks to have stemmed from one of the houses that was taken out, the other was probably collateral damage which is regrettable.

6 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

This is probably the case.

Looking at the photos, the problem looks to have stemmed from one of the houses that was taken out, the other was probably collateral damage which is regrettable.

Latest information is that one house was completely destroyed and three badly damaged. From memory I think it's a terrace of four houses.

I live in Prestwick about 5 miles from it and I heard the explosion.  Kincaidston is basically next to Ayr Hospital but apparently the 4 people in hospital were taken to Crosshouse as that’s where trauma and orthopaedics are based. 

8 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

I can remember waking up around 5.30 in my house in Quarter in December 1999. There was an eerie silence that seemed unnatural. It wasn’t until I caught the news later in the morning that I learned about the gas explosion in Larkhall, several miles away.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/574946.stm

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I was staying close to the explosion in Larkhall but slept right through it. I do remember our neighbour had previously reported a gas leak so CID came to investigate as part of a Manslaughter card against the gas company.

9 hours ago, Funky Nosejob said:

I can remember waking up around 5.30 in my house in Quarter in December 1999. There was an eerie silence that seemed unnatural. It wasn’t until I caught the news later in the morning that I learned about the gas explosion in Larkhall, several miles away.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/574946.stm

I used to work in a factory on the Strutherhill ind. est. , right across from where the Larkhall one happened. Passed by the site literally a few minutes before it happened on my way into work. I think the reason given at the time was that the explosion happened when the central heating timer clicked on and ignited the leaked gas. Horrific. 

Best wishes to all involved in Ayr.

Plenty of gas workers around the area this morning. What really angered me last night was the number of folk who drove to have a look at what was going on, getting in the way of emergency vehicles trying to get to the incident. I'll refrain from using the words which describe them appropriately.

10 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Plenty of gas workers around the area this morning. What really angered me last night was the number of folk who drove to have a look at what was going on, getting in the way of emergency vehicles trying to get to the incident. I'll refrain from using the words which describe them appropriately.

Yes, this seems to be a strange phenomenon of this era, where people have some warped desire to video or photograph disasters or people dying etc for no reason other than their own personal gratification and then to get some sort of kick out of posting stuff on social media.

Scum of the earth the lot of them.

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, this seems to be a strange phenomenon of this era, where people have some warped desire to video or photograph disasters or people dying etc for no reason other than their own personal gratification and then to get some sort of kick out of posting stuff on social media.

Scum of the earth the lot of them.

TBH this sort of person has always been around, it's just they now find it easier to get gratification from it

34 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

TBH this sort of person has always been around, it's just they now find it easier to get gratification from it

Yes, probably true, they just seem to stand out more nowadays.