St Mirren v The Rangers 2012 Sunday 24/10/21

27 minutes ago, G51 said:

Which is a legitimate concern, but it’s rare for teams to do what St Mirren did today and still stick with a defensive system when you’re losing the game. Most teams will twist and try to attack, opening up space for us to hit on the counter. Even in this game, Sakala managed to spark an attack two or three times despite St Mirren not really attacking until they went down to ten.

Hes not a guy who’s going to start away to five man defences. But he is the guy who can come on in those games and turn a one goal lead into a two goal lead. He came very close to doing it today.

So we signed a striker who can only play one way, after loaning out another striker who can only play one way, however that one way is a lot more beneficial in scottish football than our new signing

Yup sounds about right from us 😂

3 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

So we signed a striker who can only play one way, after loaning out another striker who can only play one way, however that one way is a lot more beneficial in scottish football than our new signing

Yup sounds about right from us 😂

Itten made a very small contribution in domestic football but he did nothing in Europe. Sakala will at least, in theory, give us another startable option there. 

He’ll come good, he just needs time. Barisic took a whole year to do that.

Rangers always just seem to do enough to beat us in the games in Paisley under Gerrard. They had an off day barring a good 15 minute spell in the first half but that was enough to turn the game in their favour.

I'm not sure how Jim could have changed it in the 2nd half, especially with Erhahon and Tanser going off injured. Could possibly have put Main on earlier and went even more direct.

Best wishes to McGrath for a speedy recovery.  Odd game that peaked - quality-wise - in the 3rd min with Ronan's screamer and became very scrappy.  Deserved win in the end.   No controversy either - so with the Midden fans getting all the 'bigots', 'newco', 'loving cup' pish out of the way early then I predict a quiet match thread.

First 20 to 25 minutes we were excellent and well worth the lead. Ronan is a joy to watch. The rest of the game we were totally flat. Just don't understand why we drifted out of the game so much. We shot ourselves in the foot and let Rangers off the hook. Poor decision making at the back. I would love us to carry the luck of Rangers. 

Potentially damaging afternoon for us, regardless of the result.

First 25 mins, I felt we were excellent - pressed Rangers really high and looked in complete control when we had possession. Goal aside, Ronan was an absolute pest, and Tanser was having loads of joy against Tavernier. Then it seemed like we started to sit back, and combined with Rangers upping the pace, we lost our way.

We’d probably have got in ahead though had it not been for two lapses from Power - we’d come close to overplaying on a couple of occasions, so it was only a matter of time that we’d get punished. Watching live I didn’t think the foul for the penalty was inside the box, but having seen the replay I stand corrected (although there’s no way we get it at the other end…).

Second half was a bit of a non-event, but have to hope the injuries to Erhahon and Tanser (surely wasn’t tactical) aren’t serious. McGrath’s, hopefully, isn’t long-term, but fear the worst there. Maybe an opportunity for Kiltie alongside Ronan though if he’s fit.

Rangers always just seem to do enough to beat us in the games in Paisley under Gerrard. They had an off day barring a good 15 minute spell in the first half but that was enough to turn the game in their favour.
I'm not sure how Jim could have changed it in the 2nd half, especially with Erhahon and Tanser going off injured. Could possibly have put Main on earlier and went even more direct.

The alternative might’ve been to go with McAllister instead of Tait and try to get at Tavernier, but that’s with the benefit of hindsight. Main for Millar was probably the right final change, but we didn’t really give Main (or Brophy at any stage) anything to work with.

5 hours ago, Lex said:

One of your fans ran on the pitch. He was getting boo’d.

You meant to say that a St Mirren fan ran onto the pitch and got lamped by a St Mirren player. 

Happy to help.

2 hours ago, G51 said:

Itten made a very small contribution in domestic football but he did nothing in Europe. Sakala will at least, in theory, give us another startable option there. 

He’ll come good, he just needs time. Barisic took a whole year to do that.

Itten the one who scored away to lech in europe, who barely got a chance

That itten? Sakala offers nothing in scottish football, pointless bringing in a guy for euro football if he's not even first choice for euro football, 

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

McGrath's injury happened right in front of me, the Physio was feeling around McG's abdomen so it might be a hernia.

It looked a bad one in the replay. Comes down hard on his knee and you can see it jarring right up his back. 

I did something similar at 5's many years ago and it hurt like f**k. Took ages to heal properly too. 

Obviously curtailed my promising football career.....

Hope the lad isn't too badly injured and makes a swift recovery.

38 minutes ago, AJF said:

Absolutely bodied by one of your own players when trying to celebrate with them 😂

Think it might be Marcus Fraser or Connor McCarthy or Joe Shaughnessy that flattens him. I'm fair narrowing it down.:whistle

Fucking halfwit of a fan, deserves all he gets. Can't even blame all day drinking!

Probably a fine heading our way.

Edited by FTOF