St Mirren v The Rangers 2012 Sunday 24/10/21

13 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

I'm relatively optimistic about this one. Probably get humped.

Yeah, it's an odd feeling, not having the usual dread going into a game like this. As you say, they'll almost certainly have too much for us, but I fancy our chances of making a game of it.

Yeah, it's an odd feeling, not having the usual dread going into a game like this. As you say, they'll almost certainly have too much for us, but I fancy our chances of making a game of it.
Here's hoping they have a tough game tonight and are feeling the after effects on Sunday.

On 20/10/2021 at 11:42, Lex said:

They’re the only team in the league to have more points than us from the last six games. We’ve just had three consecutive games against bottom six opponents, and we won the lot, extending our unbeaten run to six games in the process.
A fourth win in a row would likely propel us into the top six and put us just four points behind the visitors.
Of course we will probably lose, but you never know. We are certainly in better form now than we were going into the league cup fixture last year, which was the only game Rangers lost to a Scottish opponent last season.
It’s no coincidence that we have named the same starting 11 for those three wins and I expect we will be unchanged again.
Both Erhahon and Tanser went off at the weekend, but hopefully both should be fit enough to start here.
Just as well, the two of them seem to be involved in most of our goals. Tanser assisted one and scored one on Saturday. Erhahon assisted the other, scored the winner at Livi the week before and set up another in the win against Aberdeen. Absolute madness that some fans want him dropped, but here we are. Thankfully Jim won’t be listening to that nonsense.
Quite a big game for Rangers this. Hearts are at home to Dundee, so if they fail to get the three points they would likely drop to second. They need the win and they’ll probably just get it.
0-1

Randomgit will be raging at that.

We were excellent in the first half on Sat vs Hearts and 3-0 at HT would have been fair.  Abject in the second but still could have won but for the combined efforts of Gordon and Morelos to keep the ball out of the net.

It's impossible to predict how we'll play but I'll be disappointed with anything other than a win.

I see Rangers have requested a smaller red zone be instated for the game - not legally required to have one but are if a club requests it. Fearing the raucous main stand IMO. 
Some cheek considering it took a complainant to the SPFL for them to allow the bare minimum away fans.

I know there isn't much pressure on us, if any, in these games but 99% of the time its not an enjoyable experience unless we pull off an almighty shock. 

Giving up 50% of the stadium and hearing the bile isn't fun. Even worse when they are winning. Rangers fans were on form from the first whistle in Perth.

As for the game I'd like to think we will put up a fight but it all depends on Rangers. If they play well they should win, if we play to our best and they only play in 3rd gear they should still win. 

McGrath and Ronan could cause a bit of trouble in between the gaps of their defence and midfield, Brophy is on form just now and loves a shot from anywhere. We have a threat but our defending hasn't been great.

3 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I know there isn't much pressure on us, if any, in these games but 99% of the time its not an enjoyable experience unless we pull off an almighty shock. 

Giving up 50% of the stadium and hearing the bile isn't fun. Even worse when they are winning. Rangers fans were on form from the first whistle in Perth.

As for the game I'd like to think we will put up a fight but it all depends on Rangers. If they play well they should win, if we play to our best and they only play in 3rd gear they should still win. 

McGrath and Ronan could cause a bit of trouble in between the gaps of their defence and midfield, Brophy is on form just now and loves a shot from anywhere. We have a threat but our defending hasn't been great.

We need to find some way to stop Rangers getting in loads of crosses, and we need to defend them better when they do. I feel thats been the big weakness at the back for us this season. Hopefully Jim has something up his sleeve.

44 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Maybe the young team should bring some Irish flags to add to the occasion....

Given that you have about four Irish players, and Rangers fans have recently been found guilty of racially abusing Irish people, then it would make sense for St Mirren fans to show their support for the Irish contingent & manager.

We need to find some way to stop Rangers getting in loads of crosses, and we need to defend them better when they do. I feel thats been the big weakness at the back for us this season. Hopefully Jim has something up his sleeve.

That’s the trade off of the three at the back and the full backs playing so high up. Leaves plenty of room down the flanks for teams to get in behind. In the County game Millar and Tanser were basically playing as wingers and County exploited it second half in particular.
We’ll need the two of them to focus much more on the defensive side tomorrow.

15 minutes ago, Lex said:

That’s the trade off of the three at the back and the full backs playing so high up. Leaves plenty of room down the flanks for teams to get in behind. In the County game Millar and Tanser were basically playing as wingers and County exploited it second half in particular.
We’ll need the two of them to focus much more on the defensive side tomorrow.

I actually wonder if one of Ronan or McGrath might drop to the bench for this one to give us more of a 5-4-1, like the 3-2 game last season. Someone like Tait could come in at RB and Miller could maybe push up to do the Connelly role.

2 hours ago, bennett said:

This is awkward with a game coming up on Sunday,  needless to say that it might cause a bit of fuss.

FCTf3peXICI1kJj?format=jpg&name=medium

FCUHtqqXMAI6tRN?format=jpg&name=large

FCTTih6XIAAYC9v?format=jpg&name=small

FCTTih5XIAcE_GC?format=jpg&name=small

You could overlook comments made prior to him being appointed to the board, that last one though came after it. Rid neck 😂

On 19/10/2021 at 14:49, Coventry Saint said:

I tend to tune in (when possible) and you tend to get a decent idea of how the game's going to pan out quite early on. If we're actually showing up then I'll usually stick with them.

I had turned off the Parkhead game before Power was even off the park...

Honestly hate this attitude.