Arbroath vs Ayr United

Both Ayrshire clubs have now visited Arbroath this season. Probably an unfair question as the Killie match was on a Friday night ,live on Tv but which club brought the most fans?

You seriously need to get your hole mate.

1 hour ago, the west curve said:

Both Ayrshire clubs have now visited Arbroath this season. Probably an unfair question as the Killie match was on a Friday night ,live on Tv but which club scored a goal?

12 hours ago, DUAFC said:

Donnelly left midfield, McKenna too deep, no Liam Henderson, Clark starting....not for me I'm afraid. 

Meant Nouble had to drop too deep as there was no service to him. 

Strange line up that didn't quite work. Maybe resting some players for Tuesday's game v ICT.

Totally agree with DUAFC. Thought Dowds did OK but needs more game time. McKenna must've covered ever blade of grass and deserved to score his goal. Donnelly didn't look comfortable in midfield and drifted in and out of the game. 

We dominated the first half without really creating any chances. Ayr had a better start to the second half but we got on top and scored. But Ayr kept working and got their goal after we gave away a needless free kick to the left of our penalty box.

As others have said, we miss Nicky Low and hope he will be back sooner rather than later. Definitely 2 points dropped and Ayr must be happy to go home with a point.

We should really have made something from the many corners. Maybe too predictable with the ball deep into the box. Not long ago we would mix it up with short passes usually from Bobby Linn. With the wind second half a few shots from outside the box might have brought dividends.

When we sat back after scoring, I think we needed a bit of midfield solidity especially since it was an unusually attacking lineup with players in different positions than usual - eg McKenna and Donnelly in midfield (the first superb and the second showed some great touches second half).  Hence I think Henderson was needed when the tide was running out; or even slotting Gold into a more central midfield role.  Good showing from Dowds also but it looked like the new attacking setup meant the players weren’t always on the same wavelength.  Disappointed we didn’t convert relative dominance (and corners) into goals but 1-0 is never comfortable.   Ayr’s defence was a solid unit.

Decent atmosphere (thanks also to the away fans).  Some of the younger contingent seemed more into mock provocation of the away fans, which can be tedious but if that generates a bit of ‘excitement’ and incentive to turn up, why not?

Edited by Farflung

Their goal was a series of defensive blunders by us, starting with Murdoch who went for a header and missed it, Baird then headed the ball back towards his own goal followed by Muirhead who missed an opportunity to clear. A lot of that can be put down to the (not unexpected 💨!) conditions but, given that the rest of our defensive performance was very good, it was 3 avoidable mistakes in a row. All in all, I thought we were lucky to snatch a point and we'll need to be a lot less error prone against them on Tuesday. 

That's twice we're been lucky against a more than decent Arbroath team...but no complaints beyond the above comments.

I think we've found our best partnership in defence, it's not perfect but this is IMO the best we've looked at the back the last two games. 

I wasn’t at the game but how did we actually line up in defence?

Far too many changes yesterday, dont understand why henderson was dropped or why linn cant get a game when everyone can see we’re missing creativity without low.
Hard to tell from the highlights but our chance at the end must have been very close to being over the line.

Reading Fjortoft Baird Muirhead

Aye that’s how I’d keep it for now and then get McAllister back in for Muirhead and allow the big man to get back into midfield. At least until we sign a proper defensive midfielder anyway.

Haven’t seen it back again yet but the goal we lost was one of the worst I’ve ever seen. Murdoch missed his header, Fjortofft then let it bounce over him and either Baird or Muirhead seemed to try and shield the ball instead of just booting it clear. Loose ball ran for the Arbroath boy to finish despite McAdam’s best efforts.

8 hours ago, the west curve said:

Both Ayrshire clubs have now visited Arbroath this season. Probably an unfair question as the Killie match was on a Friday night ,live on Tv but which club brought the most fans?

I think both sets had to pay their own way.

I do not like having a go at our Gaffer but imo his starting XI and subs cost us 2 points in a very winnable game on Saturday.

Okay we were not at our best against a good Raith Rovers the week before but if Craigens shot that hit the post goes in the net then we come away with a draw so i could not understand why DC made so many changes on Saturday?

Also at 1-0 up against Ayr Utd it was crying out for a creative player like Bobby Linn or Paterson to go on and get another goal but we then bring on a defender to play in midfield?? = bizarre to say the least.

I cannot understand why Paterson is not getting a chance as Paterson looks to be the nearest we have to Nicky Low and everytime i have seen Paterson play he has looked very creative and good on the ball.

One thing i do agree with the Gaffer though is it just shows you how far we have come that we are disappointed in only drawing with full-time Ayr United in a home game.

McKenna was M.O.M. for me with Hammy and Stewart also excellent.

C'Mon the Red Lichties, 36-0.