Arbroath vs Ayr United

1 hour ago, keptie said:

2 points dropped there, we were on top scored then took our foot of the gas and you knew the Ayr goal was coming as they started getting forward. No idea what was going on with these Ayr goal line scrambles near the end. We were ok but hurry back Nicky Low.

That's twice we've let Ayr off the hook this season but they did keep going.

Also thought that was a good number of home support.

Aye, was saying to my mate that I thought it looked a great home crowd. Quite a noise when the arbroath goal went in.

Pleased with a point. Given we would have collapsed in previous iterations under previous managers. There is no doubt we rode our luck at times but got to take the point. We are still woefully inadequate in midfield. Chalmers had some moments but was pretty ineffective. Salkeld was his usual Salkeld self. Adeloye had an off day.

We seemed to have a cacophony of errors for the goal. At least 2 backward headers and a couple of poor decisions.

As for John Beaton, he is such a crap referee. He referees by guesswork. Routinely he was missing things because he wasn't following the ball. I hope the Premiership take the bawbag back as I couldn't stand him reffing another game of ours this season. He was rancid.

Great attendance from Arbroath and so lively. Not an easy play to visit these days.

Edit to add - Props to Duffman who got the subs spot on for the second week in a row. 👏

Edited by Trogdor

The overall performance was very poor for the most part and was filled with individual errors, poor decision making and lack of communication. That's just the squad we have I guess.

For the second week in a row, despite being second best for most of the game, we managed to come back into it and get something. We showed a real desire until the last whistle, even with our limited capabilities. If we can keep picking up points here and there as we have recently I'll be more than happy.

Really enjoyed the day as per, love a trip to gayfield.

With the squad we have, we are always going to concede the bulk of the possession. Under Hopkin that meant losing the game but under Duffy he is trying to use it to our advantage and hit teams on the counter. 
If we go a goal down, it puts pressure on us to come out more and attack. 

Today was different, with Muirhead at right back, it meant that the Arbroath attack sat on top of our defence for almost the full first half. We tried to pass the ball on a bobbly pitch and we’re forced to defend deep. We defended well enough and Arbroath scored with their first real chance.

After that, it could have been anyones game.

Ayrs final ball was rotten and so many forward players were miles off it today. 
A draw is maybe unfair on Arbroath on the balance of play but we limited them to very little shots on goal for all the possession they had. So hard to say they dropped two rather than gained two.

We didn’t lose any space beneath us but we need to pick up points against the teams above us to keep in touching distance of them as well. Hopefully starting on Tuesday. 

Lovely to see big Joel taking time with a fan in the enclosure in front of the stand after the match.  He truly is a good man........and not a bad footballer

We're lucky to have him - he's a good fit for Arbroath.

Despite being one of the first to jump to the management's defence, I'm not sure they got it right today, both with team selection, then how they were set up. Donnelly left midfield, McKenna too deep, no Liam Henderson, Clark starting....not for me I'm afraid. 

Meant Nouble had to drop too deep as there was no service to him.  Well done Ayr deserved a point Michael  Moffat was good, sees an opportunity and then executes quickly  - seemples !

What Arbroath were lacking today.  Bring back Nicky.

38 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

Despite being one of the first to jump to the management's defence, I'm not sure they got it right today, both with team selection, then how they were set up. Donnelly left midfield, McKenna too deep, no Liam Henderson, Clark starting....not for me I'm afraid. 

Meant Nouble had to drop too deep as there was no service to him.  Well done Ayr deserved a point Michael  Moffat was good, sees an opportunity and then executes quickly  - seemples !

What Arbroath were lacking today.  Bring back Nicky.

Yep, agree with all of this. The only player we are missing from who was available for the wins v Partick, QoTS, Hamilton and Dunfermline is Low. Instead of putting e.g. Paterson or Gold in as a straight swap in the middle and stick with the successful formation and style, Dick has decided to change it all, this has coincided with our dip in form - if it ain't broke... I think some of this is to accommodate getting JT back in the team. I like him but I thought we looked better with, dare I say it, a bit more pace and dynamism at the back.

Also, utterly baffled that Linn isn't getting any game time at the moment. Surely in blustery conditions, a player who can take the ball down, has great close control, creativity and loves driving at a defence is a no-brainer, for at least part of the game.

hope the club don’t change the segregation back after that when Ayr scored today. Class getting squeezed up to the fence and will give the players a boost knowing they are getting backed both halves and good celebrations when the players come running over after a goal. Help add a bit of atmosphere too.

I’d like to stay positive and say that’s a point earned instead of 2 dropped. We weren’t great and still gained a point. The starting XI was just bizarre in my opinion. Henderson hasn’t put a foot wrong all season and is suddenly dropped. No idea why Dick thought LD would work on the wing while Bobby is rotting away on the bench. Will be interesting to see the lineup in the highlands on Tuesday but I’ll be astonished if it’s the same. 

Iv been critical of Dowds since his signing but I thought he had a very good 60 minutes. Colin Hamilton was my man of the match with McKenna a close 2nd 

Still frustrated with the starting line up yesterday, Very harsh on Henderson to be dropped, Donnelly starting on the wing ahead of 2 actual wingers, Linn got a brief cameo when 2 nil down away to raith but then completely dropped again,
We started to look a bit tired and Ayr were pushing us back, felt like we should of freshened up the midfield earlier,

9 hours ago, A.K. Barr said:

hope the club don’t change the segregation back after that when Ayr scored today. Class getting squeezed up to the fence and will give the players a boost knowing they are getting backed both halves and good celebrations when the players come running over after a goal. Help add a bit of atmosphere too.

Both Ayrshire clubs have now visited Arbroath this season. Probably an unfair question as the Killie match was on a Friday night ,live on Tv but which club brought the most fans?

Both Ayrshire clubs have now visited Arbroath this season. Probably an unfair question as the Killie match was on a Friday night ,live on Tv but which club brought the most fans?

Falkirk.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Iv been critical of Dowds since his signing but I thought he had a very good 60 minutes. 

Also thought Dowds worked hard but didn't get much luck, service or help off the stand side lino.

I think you'd see a totally different player if he got a run of games & decent service.