Colin Powell dead

Colin Powell: Former US secretary of state dies of Covid complications - BBC News

May I be the first to be mean about a dead guy by saying good, one of the few with the clout to potentially stop Iraq and who knew fine well how shite the intelligence was and still turned up to the UN and played out that theatre. f**k him

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

I think 9/11 turned (understandably tbh) a lot of very well intentioned politicians, military folk and UN representatives more than a bit blood- thirsty and doo- lally. Up until that point, your man Colin Powell always came across as a fairly balanced heavyweight on the US political arena, who I tended to listen to as his voice appeared to carry the real- message and gravitas of government.   

You forget where the last 20 years have gone when you hear folk like him are in their mid- 80s and dropping like flies. 

8 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Colin Powell: Former US secretary of state dies of Covid complications - BBC News

May I be the first to be mean about a dead guy by saying good, one of the few with the clout to potentially stop Iraq and who knew fine well how shite the intelligence was and still turned up to the UN and played out that theatre. f**k him

Recent Bush 9/11 documentary also had him saying how serious an undertaking war was and not to be entered lightly. Then backing war with Afghanistan almost immediately because they hadn't immediately done what they were told. 

He was like Gandhi compared to Hillary Clinton and Pompeo. I doubt he could have stopped Afghanistan even if he'd wanted too, I thought for a while they might have nuked Kandahar where Bin Laden was holed up immediately after 9/11. He should have resigned over Iraq, not only his speech to the UN but also his warnings were ignored for the zero preparation for occupation and the idiocy of sacking the entire army and sending them home with their weapons, and all Baath party members from the civil service and schools etc, meaning basically everyone who knew what they were doing.

27 minutes ago, deegee said:

I think 9/11 turned (understandably tbh) a lot of very well intentioned politicians, military folk and UN representatives more than a bit blood- thirsty and doo- lally. Up until that point, your man Colin Powell always came across as a fairly balanced heavyweight on the US political arena, who I tended to listen to as his voice appeared to carry the real- message and gravitas of government.   

You might revise your view of him when you read about his behaviour over the My Lai massacre in Vietnam.

Yes, he did speak well.   Teflon Colin.

The sad thing here is that he could have run as a Republican in 2000 and beaten Bush to the nomination. Instead he was S of S. He would have been either a better president than Bush, or lost to Gore. Either way the 2000s would not have been the wasteland it became. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

He was like Gandhi compared to Hillary Clinton and Pompeo. I doubt he could have stopped Afghanistan even if he'd wanted too, I thought for a while they might have nuked Kandahar where Bin Laden was holed up immediately after 9/11. He should have resigned over Iraq, not only his speech to the UN but also his warnings were ignored for the zero preparation for occupation and the idiocy of sacking the entire army and sending them home with their weapons, and all Baath party members from the civil service and schools etc, meaning basically everyone who knew what they were doing.

Of course he couldn't - that decision was already made. What he didn't have to do was legitimise it.

He should have resigned then, and let someone else carry the can for Iraq. Which was always going to happen, for so many reasons.

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Jimmy Savile approves