Dundee United FC v Motherwell FC Saturday 23 October 2021

Motherwell have had a decent start to the season and I didn’t think we would be sitting above them coming into this fixture.  That said they have only won one league game away from home and that was against Livi.

Hopefully we can continue with our tight defensive record and see goals from any of the multitude of players who can now find the back of the net (by my calculations from the Saturday starting line up only four of outfield players haven’t scored.  A Mulgrew free kick an a twenty yard screamer from Fuchs in this game would be nice to reduce that further).

If Levitt is fit I see him coming back in, otherwise no changes.

#intamwetrust

Thank f**k. Threads when you're against one of the Old Firm are grim, grim stuff. 

What's the pakora situation like in Dundee? What's your top three? 

If I hear of any nonsense such as Chocolate Naan like what the Edinburgh lot produce, we'll need to have words. 

As for the game, let's just hope football is the winner. 

56 minutes ago, Desp said:

Thank f**k. Threads when you're against one of the Old Firm are grim, grim stuff. 

If I hear of any nonsense such as Chocolate Naan like what the Edinburgh lot produce, we'll need to have words. 

The intention is a curry after the game so any recommendations from the locals will be welcome 

1 hour ago, Desp said:

21 minutes ago, ropy said:

The intention is a curry after the game so any recommendations from the locals will be welcome 

Jahangir in the city centre is good.

Last two results have been disappointing but still plenty to be happy about after 9 games. With St Mirren playing Rangers I’m fairly confident we’ll still be top 6 after 10 games played.

Hopefully Goss is dropped and O’Hara takes his place (not really anyone else). Wouldn’t mind seeing Carroll back in the team with Sol and Mugabi (or Lamie) in the centre, not convinced by Ojala.

Van Veen needs to return up top with Roberts dropping out.

Dundee United 2-2 Motherwell

Edited by ZX1886

Each to their own but Ojala would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. 

Admittedly, he did look a bit rusty his first couple of games. However outside a dodgy first 20 mins at Tynecastle(along with the rest of the team) he’s hardly put a foot wrong the last 6 weeks or so. 

I would say he and Mugabi were about the only two to come out of Saturday with any credit. 

Edited by Casagolda

20 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Each to their own but Ojala would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me. 

Admittedly, he did look a bit rusty his first couple of games. However outside a dodgy first 20 mins at Tynecastle(along with the rest of the team) he’s hardly put a foot wrong the last 6 weeks or so. 

I would say he and Mugabi were about the only two to come out of Saturday with any credit. 

Credit on Saturday goes to Mugabi, with maybe a bit to Ojala and then nobody else. 

For this I'm binning Goss, bringing in O'Hara and Van Veen absolutely must start. Would also bring in Jake Carroll because he offers much, much more going forward than McGinlay who had a stinker at the weekend there. 

Is Donnelly still a bit broken? I'd quite like to see him & Slattery get in the team together to kick folk about the place. 

Sol looked good in his one appearance. So I would be happy with him partnering Ojala in central defence. I think we all thought that would be the case going forwards.

What has thrown a slight spanner in the works is how very decent Mugabi has been. He was actually quite good at right back and had another good game at the weekend. It won’t happen but I would have Mugabi back at right back in place of SODs whose last few appearances have been distinctly underwhelming. 

I also thought Roberts was OK at the weekend. Him and Woolery are quite similar in that both are big strong lads with a bit of pace. I can see why both would start with one out and out striker. Van Veen is already a cult hero but there is a reason he was at Scunthorpe before coming here. It looks like he has one outstanding game to every few mediocre ones. I still rate him and at least we have options up front. Even Amalusor when he came on offered up some decent attacking play. 

United having a great season so far. 3-0 away at Hibs is as impressive as beating Rangers 1-0 at home. Tough game in prospect but one we should try hard not to lose. Would take a draw and move on to St Mirren at home. 4 points from next two games would have us on 18 for 1st round of fixtures and a decent return. Losing to Hearts at Tynecastle and Celtic at home is not unexpected but to lose 3 in a row starts to take the shine of the season so far. 

United have been the leagues surprise package so far this season even, I imagine, amongst some of their own support. After being ridiculed for the Courts appointment they have turned in some very impressive performances and results.

As for ourselves, our points total and position to this stage is decent enough, but the squad still has its limitations, namely in midfield where we need more help for Slattery in a creative sense. Grimshaw, O'Hara and the likes have plenty endeavour but we need more guile. We've not seen much of Goss so far, but from previous knowledge of him I'm not sure he's the answer, and he was completely anonymous on Saturday, although I suppose he was far from alone in that regard.

Tannadice will be another tough test but we really don't want to be losing 3 on the spin. Van Veen back in, Donnelly for Goss, if he's close to 100% fit. A win would be most welcome, but all things considered, I'd be happy with a point here.

15 hours ago, Desp said:

This what I'm here for.

2 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Is Donnelly still a bit broken? I'd quite like to see him & Slattery get in the team together to kick folk about the place. 

Dunno. 

Best game he’s had this season was against Ross County when he came on and helped us get a grip of the midfield 2nd half. He was then missing from the squad at Tynecastle the following week. 

If fit and based on his County cameo, I’d start him. With him sitting it might give Slattery a bit more licence to play a little further forward as well like he done against Hibs at the start of the season. Also it never hurts to have another midfielder in the team that can you know, actually pass a ball. 

Then stick one of Grimshaw or O’Hara along side them to run about a bit.