Dundee United FC v Motherwell FC Saturday 23 October 2021

I also thought Motherwell looked a decent side. Well on top for the first 10 minutes of each half and pressed us throughout meaning we often had to go all the way back just to hold on to the ball, only for Siegrist to lose it in his worst kicking display yet.

3 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Had to double check the team lines from today. Thought it was Maldini and Baresi at the centre of Uniteds defence. Difficult to put into words how much i love Charles Mulgrew and Ryan Edwards

A lot of hyperbole around about that match today and this post is a prime example. I dont remember Maldini or Baresi ever skinning someone out wide with a stepover and delivering a 40 yard raker of an assist for the other to bullet a header in

I'm also surprised at the negativity of the Motherwell fans. I thought it was pretty even overall with neither side creating many chances.

I was sitting right behind Mulgrew's cross and thought my eyes deceived me. What an absolute peach off his swinger. Player of the season so far by a mile for me.

12 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

Even after that performance, I think there is one thing that everyone can get behind

Now I totally support the sentiments there in that tweet, and while I think Clancy got the penalty correct, its a pity Watt doesn't say f**k diving and leading with the elbow every time he jumps!

I also don't see why Motherwell fans are quite so down. I thought this game would be tight and Well would be physical. I thought at some times we were bullied and although there were moments we played great football (eg Niskanen chance) at times we stood off Motherwell given them time to play. When we picked up the pace, both in closing down and moving the ball, we looked far better.

You can't be too critical though after gaining 3pts from a game we would never have won last season.

Clancy is as Clancy does, completely inconsistent and bottled sending off the Well player for a deliberate hand ball. Can only assume in his head he thought it was accidental, although you'd like to think his assistant would help him out.

3 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

I also don't see why Motherwell fans are quite so down. I thought this game would be tight and Well would be physical.

Well, it's really the Midfield thats has been dissapointing for the last 3 games in a row that doesn't seem to be changing very soon. Imagine of you excellent striking partnership never got that many good chances because when the ball went to midfield they would either stop and pass the ball backwards or just put it up with no target in mind.

Its not just 1 bad day but the 3rd bad day in a row with some tougher games coming up very soon as well. Nothing Against Dundee United but I'd expect them to be atleast top 6 when the season started so it was always going to be a tough game but the manner that we lost is what's frustrating to me and many other Well fans.

Alexander’s clearly at it a bit post match but it probably helps balance out some of the negativity from his own support. 

We got done by two set piece goals. Outside of that, Kelly was a spectator for the most part- aside from occasionally launching diagonals straight out the park. 

Dundee United looked better on the ball and played the nicer football but it felt like Siegrist was the busier keeper. He made a couple of decent saves certainly, the one from Watt during the 2nd half in particular looked ridiculous. 

Did we play particularly well? Not really. Were we worth at least a point? Absolutely. However if you can’t defend two set pieces you get what you deserve I suppose. The reaction from the support both at the game and afterwards felt a well over the top though.  

Which is probably what has got Alexander’s back up. If McGinley doesn’t sell the jerseys when we’re in the ascendancy and we leave with a point, I think most would agree it was a fair enough result- albeit still with plenty of room for improvement on our part. 

As it is, we’ve narrowly lost away from home to a team sitting joint top with the best defensive record in the league and some of our fans are losing their fucking minds.

16 hours ago, Aladdin said:

I never thought of Motherwell as dirty team with a penchant for cheating but they appear to have a lot of dirty players who like to cheat.

f**k Kevin Clancy and Mulgrew is the sexiest man alive.

I don’t think they were a dirty team more a physical team. 

1 hour ago, Tannadeechee said:

Clancy is as Clancy does, completely inconsistent and bottled sending off the Well player for a deliberate hand ball. Can only assume in his head he thought it was accidental, although you'd like to think his assistant would help him out.

I might have this wrong, but did the lad who handled the ball (McGinley) didn't get his first booking until later in the game, so Clancy didn't bottle a sending off. I'm not sticking up for him, for it was a mistake not to book the hand ball, but events may have taken a different turn thereafter for McGinley.

Guest Bob Mahelp
51 minutes ago, kdyteejay said:

I don’t think they were a dirty team more a physical team. 

Motherwell were very good at breaking the game up against Aberdeen. Loads of niggly fouls which went unpunished any time Aberdeen got any possession. It seems to be part of their game plan. 

I enjoyed the highlights last night. Siegrist is by far and away the best keeper in Scotland, but his appeals that he punched away the ball for the penalty were were pretty funny when he obviously got nowhere near it. 

Anyone who thinks Motherwell are a dirty team started watching football yesterday and that was their first game. Every team that’s ever existed has rarely played the purest football ever dreamt of and every fan that’s ever existed loves to see their team getting stuck in. If anything, I don’t think we get stuck in enough!

The last Motherwell v Utd game I went to, the season Utd were last relegated, we won 2-1 with goals from Marv and Moult,  the Utd team that night were a dirty team. I think it was McCracken and Paton with some of the most cynical zero attempts to play the ball I’ve ever seen. 

3 years in the seaside leagues were their fitting punishment if I recall. 

And rightly so.

21 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Anyone who thinks Motherwell are a dirty team started watching football yesterday and that was their first game. Every team that’s ever existed has rarely played the purest football ever dreamt of and every fan that’s ever existed loves to see their team getting stuck in. If anything, I don’t think we get stuck in enough!

The last Motherwell v Utd game I went to, the season Utd were last relegated, we won 2-1 with goals from Marv and Moult,  the Utd team that night were a dirty team. I think it was McCracken and Paton with some of the most cynical zero attempts to play the ball I’ve ever seen. 

3 years in the seaside leagues were their fitting punishment if I recall. 

And rightly so.

McCracken left us about 10 years before that game. It might have been one of the chuckle brothers Durnan or Donaldson you were thinking about. Neither were aggressive enough and far too timid. Paton liked a challenge though 

46 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I might have this wrong, but did the lad who handled the ball (McGinley) didn't get his first booking until later in the game, so Clancy didn't bottle a sending off. I'm not sticking up for him, for it was a mistake not to book the hand ball, but events may have taken a different turn thereafter for McGinley.

This is correct 

12 minutes ago, Tap in 94 said:

McCracken left us about 10 years before that game. It might have been one of the chuckle brothers Durnan or Donaldson you were thinking about. Neither were aggressive enough and far too timid. Paton liked a challenge though 

Ah, I think it was Durnan. Slammed Cadden to the deck as he wriggled past him in the touch line.