Raith v ICT clash of the titans

35 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

One thing that I noticed on Saturday was how poor our midfield was.  Our defence was fine, but Allardice and MacGregor were anonymous while Welsh was okay up until he scored but still nothing to write home about.  Gardyne was poor up until the goal.  I've never liked Sutherland on the wing, even in his first spell, though I assume he was in there to protect Duffy on the right. 

We only seemed to really get going when we equalised but even then, we don't seem to have any idea how to break down a team on the defensive.  I noticed just before Welsh scored that Jamieson was ready to come on and was then told to sit back down.  He later came on for Mckay but considering the substitution was momentarily cancelled I wonder if he was going to come on for a defender and go 3-4-3.  I think in hindsight we should've made that substitution anyway.

What was really strange was the formation for the last ten minutes - 4-2-4 with Doran and Gardyne at like free-roam wing back and Duffy and Deas on the wings!  I can kind of understand it but it was really weird to see.

What's happened to Walsh?  Taken off after half an hour against Accies and not seen since (including in the Challenge Cup).  Perhaps he'd have given us a bit more bounce than Doran offered.  And what's happened to Duku?  He just seems to plod about now.

Duku is doing what he has done throughout his entire career tbh.

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye MacGregor was probably the worst player on the park which was disappointing. I thought he would’ve thrived on that surface.  

Duku was never going to start once McKay got fit. He’s not in the same stratosphere as McKay.

I think if Duku is going to rekindle his earlier form he needs to be playing with Sutherland.  I've mentioned this on here before, but while Sutherland isn't a particularly technically gifted player, when he's up front he is good at hoovering the ball up front and keeping it up there.  That allowed Duku to do all the forward running.  He can't hold up the ball like when he's up front on his own and Mckay is a different type of striker.  If he's going to rekindle the form he had at the start of the season he needs to be partnering Sutherland again, but with Mckay hitting form and fitness and Jamieson coming onto the scene, that seems unlikely.  

We said similar about duku last season. He really has started well at pretty much every one of his 90 clubs and then stopped being good all of a sudden. It can't be a coincidence that it's happening with you as well. He looked a real find for us last season then there was the covid outbreak and he barely got a regular start after then. When he did start or even get time he wasn't the same player. It could have been down to covid but it's unlikely considering his history. I was one of the few who kept expecting him to get out of the rut, but he never did.

25 minutes ago, grumswall said:

We said similar about duku last season. He really has started well at pretty much every one of his 90 clubs and then stopped being good all of a sudden. It can't be a coincidence that it's happening with you as well. He looked a real find for us last season then there was the covid outbreak and he barely got a regular start after then. When he did start or even get time he wasn't the same player. It could have been down to covid but it's unlikely considering his history. I was one of the few who kept expecting him to get out of the rut, but he never did.

It wasn’t like there was an obvious reduction in his fighting for the ball or willingness to get stuck in, either. He just suddenly seems to go from golden foot to peg leg. I don’t know if there’s something in his play that allows you to suss him out after one head-to-head or what, but it’s gone on so often that there’s something there.

It wasn’t like there was an obvious reduction in his fighting for the ball or willingness to get stuck in, either. He just suddenly seems to go from golden foot to peg leg. I don’t know if there’s something in his play that allows you to suss him out after one head-to-head or what, but it’s gone on so often that there’s something there.
I think it's just willingness rather than a lack of ability with him. He's athletic enough that he will always look like he's trying but realistically the ability doesn't drain from a player after a few games at the majority of clubs he's played for. It's a shame as he is a good player when he can be arsed.

10 minutes ago, grumswall said:
51 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I think it's just willingness rather than a lack of ability with him. He's athletic enough that he will always look like he's trying but realistically the ability doesn't drain from a player after a few games at the majority of clubs he's played for. It's a shame as he is a good player when he can be arsed.

It may not be as much willingness as interest or mental challenge. As you suggested, incognito reports, supposedly from the team , seemed to paint a picture of a malcontent or nonplussed player. Perhaps it’s a matter of him mentally feeling he doesn’t get the necessary recognition for his initial surge and then spirals down into the mire of his previous performances. Confidence, and drive, can be fleeting.

I think losing Ross back to Aberdeen and not being quite so quick and direct on the break didn't help Duku, either. He struggled when he couldn't use the space and pace of our counter attacks.
Would agree with this. He was very good at winning flick ons early on with us, when he had Ross and Armstrong as willing runners beyond him. He wasn't nearly as effective once he didn't have the two or 3 at times running beyond him. In the right system I think he would be a good player. But it does depend on if there's more to his drop in form at every club or not.

Duku hasn't shown consistency but clearly he's a decent squad option for Caley. Lewis Vaughan has more league goals than him despite far fewer appearances. 
In fairness Vaughan shouldn't be at this level now. The only reason he is, is injuries have wrecked his career. He's the best natural talent we've had since the 90s.

At the start of season, Duku was on fire.  We were playing a 4-2-4 with him up-front alongside Sutherland (who was more of the target man) and two of Gardyne, Walsh and Doran wide.  Since then we've gone to more of a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 (and occasionally a 4-4-2) and he hasn't looked anywhere near as effective.

15 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I noticed just before Welsh scored that Jamieson was ready to come on and was then told to sit back down.  He later came on for Mckay but considering the substitution was momentarily cancelled I wonder if he was going to come on for a defender and go 3-4-3.

What was really strange was the formation for the last ten minutes - 4-2-4 with Doran and Gardyne at like free-roam wing back and Duffy and Deas on the wings!  I can kind of understand it but it was really weird to see.

What's happened to Walsh?  Taken off after half an hour against Accies and not seen since (including in the Challenge Cup).  Perhaps he'd have given us a bit more bounce than Doran offered.  And what's happened to Duku?  He just seems to plod about now.

I seen Jamieson throwing his bib away in disgust and marching back up into the stand after we scored too. 

I have to say the last few times I’ve seen Doran I’ve not been impressed at all. He was largely ineffective against Dunfermline and didn’t offer much when he came on on Saturday.