Raith v ICT clash of the titans

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

And to think Matthews was applauded off the pitch by a large number of muppets in the South Stand. 

With our small squad we can do without idiotic play like that. 

He'd had a great game till then and it wasn't "idiotic" it was a genuine attempt to break up play. I'll clap players off for that, no question. 

So take your hindsight and go f**k yourself.

Watched the replay after midnight when they went up, didn't think it was a red (1/2 a bottle of wine and a few beers)

Watched again this afternoon with a clear head, was a red card all day long. That said I thought we had a very good claim for a penalty, yes probably a tad harsh but I've seen plenty like that given, just a pity we didn't get to see the Poplatnik / Spencer moments again.

Draw a fair result on the balance of play, on to Tuesday and the next game

5 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

No,you just dont understand football is about opinions thats all

I,m not in anyway biased and thought it was a yellow but SB has probably hit the nail on head thats its folk like me of a mature age see it a whole lot differently

Football is about opinions, yours is just utterly wrong and shows your complete lack of knowledge with regards to football. No amount of mewing with regards to being of a mature age changes that, are you aware there's a pass back rule now? 

I've been watching football since the 90s and that was probably a red then, he's got absolutely nothing off the ball while absolutely crunching the boy. I can understand that if you're at the game, and at full speed from 50 yards away in the south stand it might have looked different, but if you're genuinely watching that again in the highlights, with the ability to slow down the frame rate etc and still not understanding how it's a red that's on you. 

Those challenges are horrible, should be a three game ban at the least. 

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Football is about opinions, yours is just utterly wrong and shows your complete lack of knowledge with regards to football. No amount of mewing with regards to being of a mature age changes that, are you aware there's a pass back rule now? 

I've been watching football since the 90s and that was probably a red then, he's got absolutely nothing off the ball while absolutely crunching the boy. I can understand that if you're at the game, and at full speed from 50 yards away in the south stand it might have looked different, but if you're genuinely watching that again in the highlights, with the ability to slow down the frame rate etc and still not understanding how it's a red that's on you. 

Those challenges are horrible, should be a three game ban at the least. 

You may disagree with my opinion but it doesnt,t make my opinion utterly  wrong and  please dont question my complete lack of knowledge with regards to football or the  the pass back rule, it makes you come across very condscending.I,ve played the game and watched football pre 90,s and comfortable in my knowledge of football

Dont think thats a red in the 90,s never mind yesterday

Too many players in this day and age happy to feign injury influencing refs to show yellow and red cards

Does ma tits in

Edited by Rovers_Lad

It's a clear red card. 

I'm going to disagree very slightly with Grant on one point. Matthews does play the ball. He clearly also takes a lot of the man and it's not a mitigating factor, it's still a clear red card, but it's noteworthy because of how the incident has "developed". 

From behind the goal, it was very clear that Matthews played the ball because of the angles he and McKay are moving at and the way the ball moves towards the dugouts, but it was very difficult to tell how much force there was or how high he was, hence the almost complete consensus from those in the ground that it was very harsh. 

Conversely, when you see it from the camera angle and you're looking at it perpendicularly, you get the full view of the force, height and the straight leg that Matthews goes in at, but it's very difficult to see that he does play the ball too. 

Now, as I say, the fact that he plays the ball is irrelevant, it's absolutely a red card tackle. I just think it's interesting because I'd like to think that there's a fair few Rovers supporters on here who are pretty reasonable and were at the game, and the reaction at the time was almost unanimous. It's funny how the angles involved, and the environment of actually being at a game, can influence perception. 

No idea how anyone can look at it with the benefit of hindsight, and multiple replays, and not think that's a sending off though. The referee, for all his faults (and I think he got the penalty decision correct too), was absolutely spot on. 

29 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

You may disagree with my opinion but it doesnt,t make my opinion utterly  wrong and  please dont question my complete lack of knowledge with regards to football or the  the pass back rule, it makes you come across very condscending.I,ve played the game and watched football pre 90,s and comfortable in my knowledge of football

Dont think thats a red in the 90,s never mind yesterday

Too many players in this day and age happy to feign injury influencing refs to show yellow and red cards

Does ma tits in

I think you'll find that you have misspelled condescending.

The Fife Free Press have excelled this week.

On the Fife Today website we read that Brad Spencer was given a straight red card and apparently Ethan Ross, who wasn't even on the park, was booked for protesting.

Screenshot_20211025-090906.png

Edited by Specky Ginger

All credit to the majority of Raith fans on here who have admitted it was a red card, it say's a lot about their game credibility. There is fans of teams in Scotland who would argue hysterically that was never a red knowing othrewise. Honest fans and big 'attaboys' to the Rover fans.

And yes we were just as guilty on the day.

Edited by SandyCromarty

34 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Ah,the Sporting Post.

Game on a Saturday, pick up Sporting post along with a Fish Supper and bottle of Cream Soda from Valentes and Saturday night was sorted 😄

A great paper, with objective and detailed reporting. We got ours delivered, I used to wait eagerly for it to arrive.

Incidentally, I was heartened by the wee applause for Manny Duku and the response from him after full time. It's easy for stories to spring up when there's nothing to contradict them, and I think as much out of boredom than anything else there had almost been a bit of a villain created out of Duku, but it was clear from the way that he and McGlynn embraced at full time that there's no hard feelings there, either. 

I like it when everyone gets along, really... 

5 hours ago, Lang Toun Lad said:

It was never a penalty. His arms were by his side.

Yeah at the time I didn't think it was a penalty as Doran had his arm up against his body (not making himself bigger, not in an unnatural position etc) and looking back at the highlights this seems to be confirmed. The referee was very poor but he did get at two pretty big decisions for us correct.

15 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

It's a clear red card. 

I'm going to disagree very slightly with Grant on one point. Matthews does play the ball. He clearly also takes a lot of the man and it's not a mitigating factor, it's still a clear red card, but it's noteworthy because of how the incident has "developed". 

From behind the goal, it was very clear that Matthews played the ball because of the angles he and McKay are moving at and the way the ball moves towards the dugouts, but it was very difficult to tell how much force there was or how high he was, hence the almost complete consensus from those in the ground that it was very harsh. 

Conversely, when you see it from the camera angle and you're looking at it perpendicularly, you get the full view of the force, height and the straight leg that Matthews goes in at, but it's very difficult to see that he does play the ball too. 

Now, as I say, the fact that he plays the ball is irrelevant, it's absolutely a red card tackle. I just think it's interesting because I'd like to think that there's a fair few Rovers supporters on here who are pretty reasonable and were at the game, and the reaction at the time was almost unanimous. It's funny how the angles involved, and the environment of actually being at a game, can influence perception. 

No idea how anyone can look at it with the benefit of hindsight, and multiple replays, and not think that's a sending off though. The referee, for all his faults (and I think he got the penalty decision correct too), was absolutely spot on. 

Useful viewpoint, and heartily agree. I’d add that Matthews trailing leg swept McKay’s plant foot as he scythed through him, which certainly makes it red card worthy. It was easily seen on the Raith TV coverage, much less so from the Stands.

One thing that I noticed on Saturday was how poor our midfield was.  Our defence was fine, but Allardice and MacGregor were anonymous while Welsh was okay up until he scored but still nothing to write home about.  Gardyne was poor up until the goal.  I've never liked Sutherland on the wing, even in his first spell, though I assume he was in there to protect Duffy on the right. 

We only seemed to really get going when we equalised but even then, we don't seem to have any idea how to break down a team on the defensive.  I noticed just before Welsh scored that Jamieson was ready to come on and was then told to sit back down.  He later came on for Mckay but considering the substitution was momentarily cancelled I wonder if he was going to come on for a defender and go 3-4-3.  I think in hindsight we should've made that substitution anyway.

What was really strange was the formation for the last ten minutes - 4-2-4 with Doran and Gardyne at like free-roam wing back and Duffy and Deas on the wings!  I can kind of understand it but it was really weird to see.

What's happened to Walsh?  Taken off after half an hour against Accies and not seen since (including in the Challenge Cup).  Perhaps he'd have given us a bit more bounce than Doran offered.  And what's happened to Duku?  He just seems to plod about now.

Edited by Highland Capital

Aye MacGregor was probably the worst player on the park which was disappointing. I thought he would’ve thrived on that surface.  

Duku was never going to start once McKay got fit. He’s not in the same stratosphere as McKay.