Raith v ICT clash of the titans

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

A real shame for Matthews because up until that point he’d been our best player by a mile. A wee bit concerned at the prospect of BRS at EEP.

I reckon we will go with Ross or Zanatta as a 10 with Tait and Spencer sitting in midfield. BRS should only be used as a last resort. 

If you can be bothered going back to page 1 you'll see that I expressed concern over the game for us as we have lost some consistency over the previous couple of games, and I was proven right yesterday.

Rovers tactics from the off were to not give us any time on the ball and that meant steamrolling in on full charge as soon as a Caley player got the ball, the tactic worked for them as it was a clear spoiler and we could not settle or control, however the continuous hard lunging tackles backfired with the red, and Rovers need to pull that back some for future games as referees pass info on to other referees.

I'm not saying Caley were innocent as we saw in the first minutes Broadfoot pulled a dirty one and there were others shirt pulling and obstructing but it all spoiled what could have been an entertaining game if both teams had let the play flow.

What about the pitch though retaining the water sprayed on before the game resulting in players sliding?

BTW the environmental woke mob are making noises about these synthetic pitches as apparently the rubber is a microplastic.

9 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Genuinely can't beleive you have people saying that's not a red, that's a horrendous tackle. Doesn't even touch the ball but comes steaming in from 15-20 yards studs up and catches the bloke above the ankle, good job his foot wasn't on the floor or he's breaking his leg. 

Look at Mathew's in the immediate aftermath, he knows he's fucked it. 

Horrendous tackle 😆

Genuinely can,t believe you have people saying thats a red,yellow merited

I must admit I've found myself to be startled at some of the shared thoughts on yesterday's game and whilst I hesitate, perhaps the cold and sober morning light brings some opportunity for reconciliation.

I do realise that it adds nothing to the gaiety of nations if everyone agrees all of the time but perhaps there is occasion for the likes of @embow @RavyDavy and @Zen Archer (Raconteur) to come around my dispassionate and objective view on at least the red card incident.

Aye, on reflection it’s a red all day long. Referee still had a really poor game  though. A shame we couldn’t hold on for the win but given most other teams drew then not much damage done - other than injuries and a suspension. 

Definitely think Killie and ICT will be the two strongest challengers for the title, but based on the three games against them so far our record is won one, drawn one and lost one (narrowly). Given that two of those games were away and we had to play with 10 men for most of the home game, then that gives me a bit of encouragement that we can sustain a challenge. Injuries, lack of depth and the loss of Dylan Tait in January will work against that of course and suspect the size of the Killie squad will see them over the line, but you never know.

51 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Horrendous tackle 😆

Genuinely can,t believe you have people saying thats a red,yellow merited

Because people aren't biased morons, go and take the issue up with the Raith fans who know it's a red..

Some absolutely hilarious comments on FannyTalk re the red card. 

"Gardyne, as usual for someone as poor as him, made a meal of it and the ref took the bait." 

" ICT player went full Hollywood..dive with mid air twist, rolling around holding his slightly skiffed ankle" 

"I think Gardynes somersault would do Tom Daley proud and the ref bought it hook line and sinker" 

😂

5 minutes ago, Raithie said:

"Gardyne, as usual for someone as poor as him, made a meal of it and the ref took the bait." 

" ICT player went full Hollywood..dive with mid air twist, rolling around holding his slightly skiffed ankle" 

"I think Gardynes somersault would do Tom Daley proud and the ref bought it hook line and sinker" 

😂

The fact they can’t even get the right player says everything.

As a neutral and seeing the tackle once, it's a definite red imo. I doubt if the ICT player even saw the Raith player coming so he could anticipate evasive action or taking a "dive".  Ref couldn't have had a better view either. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

18 minutes ago, Raithie said:

😂

My thoughts are that those making light of that challenge are older punters. If you went back to the ‘90s that’s maybe a yellow card at best. That’s because you were allowed to get away with very crude challenges at the time. It was fun to watch but meant that creative players got injured too often. 

The real issue with the refs performance yesterday was his inconsistency ,rovers was a red card since seeing the highlights yet in my opinion the tackle on spencer from behind as we were breaking away was dirty and synical red card for me , Broadfoot elbowed poplatnik in the face when on a yellow and numerous other fouls tugging of shirts that went unpunished but you could say stevens has history with the rovers from last season

Genuinely stunned that some Raith fans think that's not a red. Bad challenge and he deserved to be sent off.

ETA: TBF it is the minority. The poster saying its not even a yellow card is surely having a laugh.

1 minute ago, basher brash said:

The real issue with the refs performance yesterday was his inconsistency ,rovers was a red card since seeing the highlights yet in my opinion the tackle on spencer from behind as we were breaking away was dirty and synical red card for me , Broadfoot elbowed poplatnik in the face when on a yellow and numerous other fouls tugging of shirts that went unpunished but you could say stevens has history with the rovers from last season

The one by Inverness was your basic spoiling tackle by a midfielder and only usually gets a yellow card.

I thought that tackle in the air (by Devine?) where his shoulder caught Poplatnik is more the type of dangerous challenge that some eager refs might give a red card.

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Because people aren't biased morons, go and take the issue up with the Raith fans who know it's a red..

No,you just dont understand football is about opinions thats all

I,m not in anyway biased and thought it was a yellow but SB has probably hit the nail on head thats its folk like me of a mature age see it a whole lot differently

[emoji23]

To be fair, the Inverness player did do a massive twist and pirouette in the air…… but it was because he’d been absolutely clattered!
Not sure from the footage if Matthews even got the ball.

Red all day long, anyone suggesting otherwise has a serious pair of blue-tinted glasses on.

And to think Matthews was applauded off the pitch by a large number of muppets in the South Stand. 
With our small squad we can do without idiotic play like that. 
Harsh. I didn't clap him off but from the angle in the South Stand it looked like a heavy tackle which didn't merit a red. Its probably summed up by how many people changed their opinions when the highlights came out.

Either way, Matthews is a good midfielder for this level and definitely adds to our squad. It's light years away from seeing certain centre halves talk themselves into straight red cards.

2 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

No,you just dont understand football is about opinions thats all

I,m not in anyway biased and thought it was a yellow but SB has probably hit the nail on head thats its folk like me of a mature age see it a whole lot differently

I've seen more than several decades but that hasn't been an impediment to me in keeping up with the changes to the rules of the game and with that established, I do wonder where that leaves folk like you.