Raith v ICT clash of the titans

I've heard so much about this 'hoodoo' that I decided to see whether it holds any water.

Conclusion: apart from maybe last season when both clubs had a good title challenge, it doesn't.

When we first got up to Div 1 in 1999, we could actually claim Rovers as a bogey team, as it took 8 attempts to beat them. I know that Rovers fans at the time were mystified as to why other teams' fans rated ICT, as we were going well but they usually ripped us apart (Didier Agathe etc).

But from then on in, the clubs have barely been in the same division, and we've always been higher, so have won any cup ties.

Notable league seasons:
2001-2 - Rovers relegated and us chasing promotion - no surprises then.
2003-4 - Rovers a promoted club while we went on to be champions - no surprises.
2009-10 - We came down from the Prem and bounced straight back - no surprises.

4 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

I've heard so much about this 'hoodoo' that I decided to see whether it holds any water.

Conclusion: apart from maybe last season when both clubs had a good title challenge, it doesn't.

When we first got up to Div 1 in 1999, we could actually claim Rovers as a bogey team, as it took 8 attempts to beat them. I know that Rovers fans at the time were mystified as to why other teams' fans rated ICT, as we were going well but they usually ripped us apart (Didier Agathe etc).

But from then on in, the clubs have barely been in the same division, and we've always been higher, so have won any cup ties.

Notable league seasons:
2001-2 - Rovers relegated and us chasing promotion - no surprises then.
2003-4 - Rovers a promoted club while we went on to be champions - no surprises.
2009-10 - We came down from the Prem and bounced straight back - no surprises.

I think this undersells it. Because if I recall correctly we have maybe two draws since that last win in 2000.... despite the relative merits of both teams in that time, the fact that over the league seasons we have spent together, we haven't managed even one victory is incredible. 

44 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

We've beaten every top flight side other than Celtic and Motherwell (the latter of whom we've only played once) in the period since we last defeated Caley. It's incredible to even suggest that not beating them in 19 games isn't a hoodoo.

You should count yourself lucky we agreed to let you be joint holders of the Challenge Cup in this basis.

10 hours ago, PB1994 said:

You should count yourself lucky we agreed to let you be joint holders of the Challenge Cup in this basis.

We’d have taken you to extra time or penalties and won that one. That’s our thing in finals.

13 hours ago, Michael W said:

Yeah, no hoodoo at all. Just 19 games in a row without victory. 

OK... so it seems that this is not entirely accurate and I've posted a false statistic. The source I used does not include the 3-3 draw in the league Cup or indeed a 4-1 defeat from 2019. I can't be bothered checking if any other cup games have been missed as well. 

So it's at least 21 games, with 17 of them being defeats. 

Edited by Michael W

45 minutes ago, Michael W said:

OK... so it seems that this is not entirely accurate and I've posted a false statistic. The source I used does not include the 3-3 draw in the league Cup or indeed a 4-1 defeat from 2019. I can't be bothered checking if any other cup games have been missed as well. 

So it's at least 21 games, with 17 of them being defeats. 

Even if you just take our games against ICT at Starks, the last 10 games reads W0 D3 L7.

You have to go back to the summer of 2000 when we last beat, neighhhhh 🐴  horsed ICT 4-1 at Starks. 

03D44924-8A91-4E58-BA25-836628D3CCE1.png

Edited by Scary Bear

11 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Even if you just take our games against ICT at Starks, the last 10 games reads W0 D3 L7.

You have to go back to the summer of 2000 when we last beat, neighhhhh 🐴  horsed ICT 4-1 at Starks. 

They never got over such an overweight player knocking in the 4th and have taken it out on us ever since. 

W0, D3, L7 represents a reasonable run of form against ICT given the bulk of our draws are in there. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

We might not have beaten them in 21 games but I'd rather that than concede a goal to Gerry Creaney.

All things considered I think that gives us the edge overall.

8 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Yep, sat through that one. You managed 2 wins and a draw that season.

The following season though 🙈
A 5-0 and a 5-2 at home, plus a 5-1 (insert preferred equine buggery reference here) at the San Starko.

Here's Barry Robson rounding off the scoring

231044426_PB100019copy.thumb.JPG.16ee5d18a84b379ded74f5c760012181.JPG

And here's the glorious sunset from the away end 

starks.thumb.jpg.80bb6d476eef469e5fc1c5024c6b017e.jpg

7 hours ago, Michael W said:

They never got over such an overweight player knocking in the 4th and have taken it out on us ever since. 

But Bobby Mann scored in the 5-1 game, that should have fired you up nicely (unless you somehow had Mark Yardley masquerading as a trialist).

Edited by The Mantis

3 hours ago, RRFC2711 said:

Yardley, you had to mention him didn’t you………fkn ell..

Back in the 2003 Season Elgin signed Andy Goram, Caley were away at the weekend so I went through to see Goram in his first match for Elgin who were at home to Albion Rovers, five minutes into the match this big fat lump came belting forward in an Albion strip, feck me I thought that an Albion fan with a fuckin drink in had ran onto the pitch, this guy was fuckin huge and I expected the stewards to run  on take the man mountain off, it turned out the fat b*****d turned out to be Mark Yardley! and Goram let in five! 

Edited by SandyCromarty

Back in the 2003 Season Elgin signed Andy Goram, Caley were away at the weekend so I went through to see Goram in his first match for Elgin who were at home to Albion Rovers, five minutes into the match this big fat lump came belting forward in an Albion strip, feck me I thought that an Albion fan with a fuckin drink in had ran onto the pitch, this guy was fuckin huge and I expected the stewards to run  on take the man mountain off, it turned out the fat b*****d turned out to be Mark Yardley! and Goram let in five! 

And he knocked us out one of the cups that season we have shared pain as well as trophy’s.

Delighted that we are behind the goal. I mind being stuck in the corner for a game, pretty sure it was a Challenge Cup tie, which we won 4 - 0 thanks to a cock up from Ramiro Gonzales.