Bring back 3 former player (bit of fun)

It’s a wee bit like folk just refusing to acknowledge Moffats contributions to our team in the last couple of seasons.

I was rarely worried about Dykes scoring against us in his last season but I knew he was more than capable of rag-dolling one of our centre halves and creating space for Dobbie. The difference between his time at Queens and his time at Livi and Scotland is he’s actually been made the focal point of attack for those teams whereas in the Championship he was a piece in the machine that helped Dobbie score over 40 goals albeit a pretty big piece.

I’ll admit to having very rarely watched Queens play when Dykes and Dobbie were playing together, but a quick look online says that Dobbie scored 58 league goals in the 3 seasons that Dykes was at the club, and then 11 combined in the two seasons after Dykes left.

It kind of suggests that maybe Dykes helped bring out the best in Stephen Dobbie.

6 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Queens beat us at East End 1 nil in October 2018, Lyndon scoring the only goal. I mind being raging that the big diddy had scored as had it in my head he was terrible.

I know nothing about football.

Tbf I didn't rate him that much at that time. 

I also know nothing about football. 

How many of Jeff Bezos billions did you give him? Lyndon Dykes brought FAR more to the team than his own individual goals total. If you can't see beyond a simple goal stat in assessing worth there's little hope for you.
It's nowhere near as ridiculous as suggesting Lyndon Dykes isn't in our top 100 players of the last 3 decades.
(For what it's worth, if we're allowed loan players which I hadn't considered in my original choice of 3, I might consider either Robbie Neilson or Jason Kerr, ahead of Dykes as my 3rd pick, though I'm not sure it's really reasonable to include guys who played less than 20 games in 4 or 5 month loan spells).
In the game at Palmerston when you put 5 past us Dobbie got 4 goals, but Dykes was clearly the difference between the teams. He completely unsettled what turned out to be a very decent defence.

11 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:
1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:
How many of Jeff Bezos billions did you give him? Lyndon Dykes brought FAR more to the team than his own individual goals total. If you can't see beyond a simple goal stat in assessing worth there's little hope for you.
It's nowhere near as ridiculous as suggesting Lyndon Dykes isn't in our top 100 players of the last 3 decades.
(For what it's worth, if we're allowed loan players which I hadn't considered in my original choice of 3, I might consider either Robbie Neilson or Jason Kerr, ahead of Dykes as my 3rd pick, though I'm not sure it's really reasonable to include guys who played less than 20 games in 4 or 5 month loan spells).

In the game at Palmerston when you put 5 past us Dobbie got 4 goals, but Dykes was clearly the difference between the teams. He completely unsettled what turned out to be a very decent defence.

Dykes was outstanding in that game. Monkey Tennis probably thinks he was a bystander of comparable relevance to himself in the stand. 🤷‍♂️

26 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’ll admit to having very rarely watched Queens play when Dykes and Dobbie were playing together, but a quick look online says that Dobbie scored 58 league goals in the 3 seasons that Dykes was at the club, and then 11 combined in the two seasons after Dykes left.

It kind of suggests that maybe Dykes helped bring out the best in Stephen Dobbie.

Yes, because age couldn't possibly be a factor.

Seasons were also cut short.  I though Thistle fans realised this.  I'm sure one or two mentioned it.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dykes was outstanding in that game. Monkey Tennis probably thinks he was a bystander of comparable relevance to himself in the stand. 🤷‍♂️

No he did play well that day and make a difference.

It wasn't unknown, just not nearly frequent enough to put him near any sensible list of top 3 players.

For Rovers:

1. Brewster - 25-yarders, 35-yarders, and all other sorts of goals in between.

2. Big Marv - Would win every header. What a boost it was getting him back when we were at a low ebb back in the seaside league.

3. Tade - all action superstar who will bully defences, get some important goals and provide some comedy moments with Row Z shots. May have to resort back to hoofball to make him effective.

Edit: given it’s to improve the current team, I’d probably swap Big Marv for Dalziel. 

Edited by Scary Bear

33 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

This MT/SD argument is superb. Comparing Stephen Dobbie to Jeff Bezos.

That's not really what's happened though.

Instead, a bit of hyperbole has been deployed to illustrate how unequal the contributions were to Queens' goalscoring tally.

Stephen Dobbie (the greatest player I’ve ever seen play for Queens, by a wide margin).

Tommy O’Hara (absolute quality, a joy to watch, should have played at a higher level).

Bobby Parker (imperious centre back, absolutely strolled through games even at the tail end of his career. At his peak for Carlisle, who I occasionally watched back then, he was brilliant).

Honourable mentions:

Andy Thomson (very unlucky to miss out, an absolutely fantastic player and goalscorer for Queens, but not sure we’d need him and Dobbie in the same team, and Dobbie was better).

Alan Ball (also unlucky to miss out, excellent keeper, great servant to the club, and his heroics at Ayr United in the Scottish Cup will never be forgotten by those who witnessed them).

Steve Tosh, Jimmy Robertson, Jim Donald, Chris Balderstone, Peter Dickson (who was electrifying in that halcyon period just after he signed, though his career petered our after being converted to a full back), and I wish we had the Lyndon Dykes of now, rather than the Lyndon Dykes of then - he’s improved massively since he left (though his qualities weren’t completely opaque then). Ted McMinn was another supremely gifted player, and another who improved after he left the club. I was always a fan of John O’Neill too.

On the subject of players who improved after they left Palmerston - Middlesborough hero and Republic of Ireland internationalist Bernie Slaven takes some beating. I remember seeing him play up front under the lights at Palmerston at one midweek fixture, and the next moment he was gone. At his peak I reckon he might have been able to do a job for us!