Bring back 3 former player (bit of fun)

18 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Gotta hand it to you MT, that's brilliant, just brilliant ...... remember this is QOS you're talking about here! 😀

I stand by it.  I'm not being remotely facetious.

If we base it solely on contributions for Queens, he wouldn't feature at all highly.  Had he performed the way he did for us, say twenty years ago then moved sideways, nobody would be putting him up there.

For Queens, he was thoroughly unremarkable.

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Three strikers for me to put away the chances we're squandering:

Stephen Dobbie (obvs) but from before he took longer to get over injuries. 

Andy Thomson (from 1st spell as someone else said) 

Peter Dickson: reputedly a bit of an arsehole but knew how to score goals. 

Honorable mentions for Balderstone (midfield class) McKenna (midfield ball winner, which we need) and Ball (Mr QoS) 

Dickson had a season when he was absolutely on fire, so fast off the mark and everything hit the back of the net - but he did seem to have an attitude issue.

Ball was certainly a legend at Palmerston.

A topic for a little fun.
So you could integrate 3 former player from any era within the time you have watched/supported your team.
Who would you choose and why?

I think some people are missing the point. It’s not what they did for your team in the past, it’s what they could do for you now (or when they were at their best). I think Dykes would improve every team in the Championship. But I wish we had Jim Baxter.

8 minutes ago, stan3600 said:

I think some people are missing the point. It’s not what they did for your team in the past, it’s what they could do for you now (or when they were at their best). I think Dykes would improve every team in the Championship. But I wish we had Jim Baxter.

Christ, if the criteria are that loose, I'll have to pick bloody Goram, because he was pretty good once upon a time.

I'd rather pick Dykes.

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Christ, if the criteria are that loose, I'll have to pick bloody Goram, because he was pretty good once upon a time.

I'd rather pick Dykes.

jumping in a little - wee bit surprised for QotS there's no mentions thus far I can see of Jim Thomson (thompson?) the big centre half or Sean O'Connor up front. O'Connor iirc was a legit very good target man who had to go part time through bad injury luck, and Thomson was a big part in your cup run before narrowly losing to Rangers (pre-liquidation). Think he scored in that final too and generally played very well, can mind being a bit gutted for him after that.

O'Connor probably would be ahead of Dykes, albeit I'm only going from one or two games against QotS at Firhill where he played and didn't do much I don't think.

Dobbie is a no-brainer for you tbf.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

5 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

jumping in a little - wee bit surprised for QotS there's no mentions thus far I can see of Jim Thomson (thompson?) the big centre half or Sean O'Connor up front. O'Connor iirc was a legit very good target man who had to go part time through bad injury luck, and Thomson was a big part in your cup run before narrowly losing to Rangers (pre-liquidation). Think he scored in that final too and generally played very well, can mind being a bit gutted for him after that.

O'Connor probably would be ahead of Dykes, albeit I'm only going from one or two games against QotS at Firhill where he played and didn't do much I don't think.

Dobbie is a no-brainer for you tbf.

Dobbie is indeed an obvious and appropriate choice.

Jim Thomson was a committed, stalwart figure, but there have been classier footballers.

Dykes is the poor man's Sean O'Connor, so the latter is not a bad shout.

If the rules enable people to just pick players who were once good and once played for their team without the two necessarily coinciding, however, then it all becomes a bit redundant and we'll just end up picking people like Harry Hood, Pat McCluskey, Neil Orr, James McFadden, Andy Goram etc.  There will be plenty others who would eclipse even Dobbie if it doesn't need to be dependent on how they performed for us, as has been suggested.

Maybe this is a bit of fun, but it needs rules we can agree on, damnit.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Dobbie is indeed an obvious and appropriate choice.

Jim Thomson was a committed, stalwart figure, but there have been classier footballers.

Dykes is the poor man's Sean O'Connor, so the latter is not a bad shout.

If the rules enable people to just pick players who were once good and once played for their team without the two necessarily coinciding, however, then it all becomes a bit redundant and we'll just end up picking people like Harry Hood, Pat McCluskey, Neil Orr, James McFadden, Andy Goram etc.  There will be plenty others who would eclipse even Dobbie if it doesn't need to be dependent on how they performed for us, as has been suggested.

Maybe this is a bit of fun, but it needs rules we can agree on, damnit.

OK rules. It is dependent on the form they had at your club.

You have to have seen them play in the flesh for your team at least once.

The choices have to compliment your current team and be implemented in positions you feel need strengthening.  So for instance I wouldn't choose Dave Mcgurn based on the fact we have a strong goalkeeper in that position.

Hope this makes sense.

Edited by mealsonwheels

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

If we base it solely on contributions for Queens, he wouldn't feature at all highly.  Had he performed the way he did for us, say twenty years ago then moved sideways, nobody would be putting him up there.

Utter codswallop as usual. 🙄

Just because you couldnt see it doesnt mean it wasnt there. He was part of a front two to score 53 goals in a single season (in which we finished 9th) and played every single minute of it up to the playoff final. That didnt happen by magic and it didnt happen because Dobbie did it all by himself either. 'Unremarkable' indeed. 😂 Those 100 better players in the last three decades must have been bloody brilliant.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Utter codswallop as usual. 🙄

Just because you couldnt see it doesnt mean it wasnt there. He was part of a front two to score 53 goals in a single season (in which we finished 9th) and played every single minute of it up to the playoff final. That didnt happen by magic and it didnt happen because Dobbie did it all by himself either. 'Unremarkable' indeed. 😂 Those 100 better players in the last three decades must have been bloody brilliant.

Jeezo!  You two are digging your heels in so hard that one of you makes Dykes sound like the Palmerston Dalglish and the other equates him to an off-form Emilio Jaconelli!  FWIW for the purposes of this thread I'd rate him slightly below O'Connor, but that is more down to Naysmith's habit of playing him on the left wing where he was generally dung as much as anything else.

12 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Jeezo!  You two are digging your heels in so hard that one of you makes Dykes sound like the Palmerston Dalglish and the other equates him to an off-form Emilio Jaconelli!  FWIW for the purposes of this thread I'd rate him slightly below O'Connor, but that is more down to Naysmith's habit of playing him on the left wing where he was generally dung as much as anything else.

This is another urban myth. Naysmith very rarely played Dykes wide. He played wide when he first came into the side under Skelton, and to an extent for part of the rest of that season when Naysmith took over, only because we still had Lyle in the fold then. 

I think he brought a little more to the party than Sean did to be honest but its a valid and obvious comparison. Sean was a little better as an actual goalscorer, especially with his head. Dykes was far quicker and stronger. He bullied defenders more than Sean did. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He was part of a front two to score 53 goals in a single season

Yes, that Jeff Bezos and I are worth billions between us.

If you want to place a striker who scored once in every nine games over his time with us, in your top 3 going back to the 1980s, I can't stop you.

It's ridiculous though.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that Jeff Bezos and I are worth billions between us.

If you want to place a striker who scored once in every nine games over his time with us, in your top 3 going back to the 1980s, I can't stop you.

It's ridiculous though.

How many of Jeff Bezos billions did you give him? Lyndon Dykes brought FAR more to the team than his own individual goals total. If you can't see beyond a simple goal stat in assessing worth there's little hope for you.

It's nowhere near as ridiculous as suggesting Lyndon Dykes isn't in our top 100 players of the last 3 decades.

(For what it's worth, if we're allowed loan players which I hadn't considered in my original choice of 3, I might consider either Robbie Neilson or Jason Kerr, ahead of Dykes as my 3rd pick, though I'm not sure it's really reasonable to include guys who played less than 20 games in 4 or 5 month loan spells).

Edited by Skyline Drifter

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

How many of Jeff Bezos billions did you give him? Lyndon Dykes brought FAR more to the team than his own individual goals total. If you can't see beyond a simple goal stat in assessing worth there's little hope for you.

It's nowhere near as ridiculous as suggesting Lyndon Dykes isn't in our top 100 players of the last 3 decades.

(For what it's worth, if we're allowed loan players which I hadn't considered in my original choice of 3, I might consider either Robbie Neilson or Jason Kerr, ahead of Dykes as my 3rd pick, though I'm not sure it's really reasonable to include guys who played less than 20 games in 4 or 5 month loan spells).

My contribution to Bezos' wealth has been present, but pretty minimal in the scheme of things.

This analogy just gets more fitting, doesn't it?

It breaks down when we recognise that my contribution tends not to get wildly overstated.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

My contribution to Bezos' wealth has been present, but pretty minimal in the scheme of things.

This analogy just gets more fitting, doesn't it?

It breaks down when we recognise that my contribution tends not to get wildly overstated.

Not really, no. Not unless you are the biggest single contributor and reason for Bezos billions. Which you're not.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not really, no. Not unless you are the biggest single contributor and reason for Bezos billions. Which you're not.

Really?

Dykes is the single biggest factor behind Dobbie's success?

Good God Man.  You've lost it.  Plenty of rest I'd say.