Bring back 3 former player (bit of fun)

11 minutes ago, Reid said:

Thomas Cerny, Stephen O’Donnell and Liam Lindsay. We’re weak in their positions and we’d stroll the league with them.

I might take a risk on Sneddon and go for Osman (peak Osman and not the imposter in the relegation season) instead. I would tend to agree with the other 2 (I'm only including players this century as I started following Thistle in 2000) based on the same logic.

7 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I might take a risk on Sneddon and go for Osman (peak Osman and not the imposter in the relegation season) instead. I would tend to agree with the other 2 (I'm only including players this century as I started following Thistle in 2000) based on the same logic.

Bannigan, Docherty and Turner are good CMs to have at this level already, and if we’re picking our players purely on the basis of improving the current lineup, upgrading the CMs would be a low priority for me.

Peak Cerny is a massive upgrade on Sneddon. More so than Osman would be over Docherty - as great as Osman was at his best.

I’d have the same three players as Reid.

2 hours ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

This Saturday is the 50th Anniversary of the most sensational result in Scottish Football History - Alan Rough played a part in newly promoted Thistle's 4-1 League Cup Final over Jock Stein's Celtic featuring several Lisbon Lions and Dalglish, Lou Macari, David Hay and George Connolly. He won two Championship Winners Medals for Thistle teams which absolutely strolled the Second Tier.

Alan Hansen and Mo Johnston also played for Thistle in the second tier when they were youngsters - like Roughie, they were clearly light years above this level...and all three are way better than just about every player named in this thread.

Alan Rough won 53 Scottish Caps, played in two World Cups, saved Scotland from a drubbing in the Maracana and nutmegged Kevin Keegan at Hampden. It's a bit bizarre that the suggestion that he might improve our current squad is being queried by someone who has nominated players who were not even household names in their own homes.

Oooft. I think we can all consider @stan3600 absolutely 'telt'.

This Saturday is the 50th Anniversary of the most sensational result in Scottish Football History - Alan Rough played a part in newly promoted Thistle's 4-1 League Cup Final over Jock Stein's Celtic featuring several Lisbon Lions and Dalglish, Lou Macari, David Hay and George Connolly. He won two Championship Winners Medals for Thistle teams which absolutely strolled the Second Tier.
Alan Hansen and Mo Johnston also played for Thistle in the second tier when they were youngsters - like Roughie, they were clearly light years above this level...and all three are way better than just about every player named in this thread.
Alan Rough won 53 Scottish Caps, played in two World Cups, saved Scotland from a drubbing in the Maracana and nutmegged Kevin Keegan at Hampden. It's a bit bizarre that the suggestion that he might improve our current squad is being queried by someone who has nominated players who were not even household names in their own homes.

I’m glad you got that off your chest.

3 hours ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

Biggest day in Thistle's history, absolutely, and I remember having a wee dance in the passenger seat of my mum's MG 1300 when I heard the result on the radio as we were driving out of Glasgow - funny how moments stay with you for (bloody hell) fifty years!

Killie (2012) and Raith (1994) have our own examples of thumping these feckers in finals, though, arguably with even less credibility afforded to their chances beforehand.

Most sensational result in Scottish football history? I'm going to go for April 15, 1967 - World Champions!

(My inclusion of Derrick "Big D" McDicken in my three players I'd bring back is not unrelated to one spectacular hoof in 1978, so I understand the distortion of perception when your own team is involved. Rough did seem to be a better keeper for the Whistle than he was for Scotland, for me, as we had a good wee rivalry with your mob back in the 70's and early 80's, and he (or his arse, stomach, elbow or knee) was often a deciding factor in these meetings.)

Stevie Nicol (5 English titles, 3 FA Cups, 1 European Cup and 27 Scotland caps)
Davie Stewart (1 Scotland cap and a losing European Cup final)
Robert Connor ( 4 Scotland caps)

All did pretty well after they left us so might bring them back. Two came through the boy's club.

Dick Malone and Johnny Doyle just missing out.

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Stephen Dobbie and Stevie Tosh are an absolute certainty for me. I don't care where the biggest actual deficiencies in the current team are, those two would have to come in. Lot of potential candidates for the 3rd one obviously but based purely on being the best strike partnership in the club's history alongside Dobbie, and though it won't be popular in some quarters, Lyndon Dykes probably for the 3rd one.

Not biting.

Not biting...

17 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You'd prefer someone else to Stevie Tosh?

Ha, good one.

Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion, but to rate Dykes as among the top three performers for Queens over the decades you go back, is utterly perverse.

He genuinely wouldn't make my top 100. 

32 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I daresay that Rough must have turned in some decent performances for Thistle.

For Scotland, he was shit though.  If Jim Blyth had played in Argentina, we'd probably have got through.

If I'd played in Argentina, we'd have got through.

6 hours ago, stan3600 said:

Alan Rough??????????

4 hours ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

Pretty much covers it. 

37 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I daresay that Rough must have turned in some decent performances for Thistle.

For Scotland, he was shit though.  If Jim Blyth had played in Argentina, we'd probably have got through.

Hahaha! So. Rough was to blame for the under par performances of the whole squad, the ineptness of the management, the drug scandal of Johnston? Get a grip of yourself!

16 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ha, good one.

Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion, but to rate Dykes as among the top three performers for Queens over the decades you go back, is utterly perverse.

He genuinely wouldn't make my top 100. 

This is considerably more perverse. But you know this.

You can criminally under-rate Lyndon's contributions is you wish, but suggesting he's not in our top 100 players of the last 30 years is moronic.

You've now bitten by the way.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This is considerably more perverse. But you know this.

You can criminally under-rate Lyndon's contributions is you wish, but suggesting he's not in our top 100 players of the last 30 years is moronic.

You've now bitten by the way.

Yes, I have and I'm not proud of it.

I think you're at it entirely.

If his career hadn't taken its recent trajectory, I don't think he'd even be especially fondly remembered already, let alone entering anyone's top all-time list.

1 minute ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Hahaha! So. Rough was to blame for the under par performances of the whole squad, the ineptness of the management, the drug scandal of Johnston? Get a grip of yourself!

bloody hell, sensitive, much?

In all seriousness, I wouldn't rate Rough near the top of a list of decent Sotland Keepers in my time. There's three (McGregor, Marshall and Gordon) currently playing who were far better in their prime, and arguably just as good now. Then there's Jim Leighton, Peter McLoy, Ronnie Simpson, Bobby Clark, Jim Stewart, both Andy Gorams..

In my experience as an opposition fan, though, the jammy cúnt seemed unbeatable at times.