Queens v Morton

4 hours ago, JK_Queens said:

It was a stonewaller for me watching it on the stream. Junior gets tripped up and Dallas seems in a decent position to give it. One of those I think you get 8/9 times out of 10. 

There were  a number of other claims for a penalty today but none of them looked anything like a penalty. I just wonder if the ref saw Junior one as being similar and dismissed it like the others as a dive. Junior paid the price of earlier dives 

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

We’re odds-on to get beat on Tuesday; a shoeing might tip it over the edge, but I’ve got a feeling he might get two more chances to pull a win from somewhere.

Other thought after actually watching a game in person today is that we should be careful about assuming another manager will necessarily make a big difference: if we can’t get Reilly (properly) fit and playing alongside Ugwu, we’re going to struggle, full stop.

Partick are 4th and lost 4 out of 10, just 1 fewer than us, hardly unbeatable. We should be looking to win most home matches in this league, as all teams should be doing. 

On Reilly, massive disappointment. Does very little and when he does get a decent chance he fecks it. Really really poor, expected so much more from a guy who has scored goals in this league.

Without Gozie, we have nothing up top. Need him back ASAP.

Pile on at those odds.
I'm quite tempted tbh. I think we can both agree a semi-competent attacking side would have comfortably beaten Morton today. Partick know how to find the net.* I think those are very generous odds.

* Regardless of today [emoji38]

1 hour ago, madton said:

Partick are 4th and lost 4 out of 10, just 1 fewer than us, hardly unbeatable. We should be looking to win most home matches in this league, as all teams should be doing.

We're winless in eight consecutive games out of our ten played so far. Four of our points came in the opening fortnight of the season - against Dunfermline and Hamilton: the two other hopeless outfits on the division.

Anyone with a brain should pile on Partick to beat us at home on Tuesday. This is why Gus' battling shitfest point today is not going to be as valuable as he thinks it was. 

Not a game that will live long in the memory. At least we kept a clean sheet for the 3rd home game in a row, it’s a long time since that’s happened.

We looked the better team and had the better chances (don’t recall Sol having to make anything other than routine saves), but need to take our chances.

I thought that looked a penalty, the PPV brigade seem to have confirmed, and I understand Cameron’s miss was as bad as it looked at the time.

I thought Cochrane was steady and had an effective game, but he needs to have the confidence to shoot occasionally. 
I agree Roy achieved more in his short cameo than the other two forwards did in the rest of the game.

I think McKay is quietly effective at the back, he never tries anything clever and goes safety first every time, but given our historically leaky defence, I can live with that.

That’s about it, not much else to say….

That performance was possibly just as bad as the one v Partick Thistle. Reasonably solid for the most part defensively but that was down to poor play by Queens than any impressive rear guard action. As soon as QotS made any semi competent movement upfront they found space and created chances. Twice hitting the post, somehow missing a near open goal and having what seemed a stone wall penalty denied. 

Our central midfield, at times, seems competent but have nothing in front of them. For all the slagging off Muirhead deservedly gets I have genuine sympathy for him when he gets played on the wing. He has no pace, can't beat a man and needs time and space to do anything with the ball. So let's play him somewhere that all those failures get shown up.

Allan on the other wing is possibly worse. He does nothing. He doesn't beat anyone, doesn't cross, doesn't shoot and shites out of every tackle. 

Reilly is just a non-entity at the moment but happy to give him the benefit of the doubt as even peak fat Ronaldo would be left isolated chasing shadows up front with this turtle heided simpleton in charge of the team

Morton definitely started the brighter side, I doubt if we were in their half much in the first ten minutes.  They could have taken the lead early on too, a free header that luckily went straight down the middle for Brynn to catch., a couple of yards either side and I doubt he'd have been able to get to it given the power behind it. Morton score from that and Johnston's "game plan" (don't laugh) is out the window. There was also the time the ball was lobbed over Brynn but came back off the crossbar, I think Brynn should have been out quicker to deal with the ball coming through. Those were about the only times Morton really worried our keeper. I'm glad to see Josh Rae back in the squad, Brynn is a competent keeper, but his reluctance to release the ball early and his habit of wanting an extra touch before clearing the ball with a forward bearing down on him sends my blood pressure shooting up. 

Even though I know how bad we’ve been this season, it’s still remarkable that we’re behind Morton, Queens, Ayr and Hamilton.

It's remarkable on paper certainly. It makes perfect sense when you see Dunfermline play though.

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Nah, Partick are 11/10...

Crazy odds. As has been said (including by you, tbf), they’ll be odds-on by kick-off when anybody who’s been paying attention lumps on Partick.

13 hours ago, Jan mosniack said:

Have tae agree. Was a huge fan of Gav when he was at Palmy. Had the fear when I seen him in a Morton strip but he was a shadow of his former self. Assuming he isnae fit. 

Nowhere near fit… maybe asking him to chase clearances for seventy minutes is part of the recovery ‘plan’…

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

For all the slagging off Muirhead deservedly gets I have genuine sympathy for him when he gets played on the wing. He has no pace, can't beat a man and needs time and space to do anything with the ball. So let's play him somewhere that all those failures get shown up.

Allan on the other wing is possibly worse. He does nothing. He doesn't beat anyone, doesn't cross, doesn't shoot and shites out of every tackle. 

You’ve lost me there… Muirhead is a total imposter, who no longer even bothers to pretend he’s trying. His total inability/unwillingness to compete makes him even more of a liability at centre-forward (a position he’s shown repeatedly he has no idea how to play). He should be stood down and shipped out in January.

Agree about Allan. Wild that a boy who’s stayed in Newcastle’s system so long can show the square root of nothing at this level. He can go back in January as well unless he finds a way to actually get involved in a game.

26 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Don't disagree but I genuinely think the wing is possibly the worst position to play him in... and that includes goalkeeper.

His rare ‘good’ performances have come playing high on the left, loitering for long diagonals and floating into space in the middle, i.e. wide but not a winger.

Totally agree that the way we tried to use him yesterday was ridiculous - almost a right wing-back at times in the first half, then a useless ‘winger’ (as you say) in the second - but the best way to use him is just not use him at all…

He’s not interested in being a footballer, but hasn’t yet worked out a better way to make a living.

Other questions that get lost among the general doom and gloom and waiting for MacPherson to get the bullet:

What has Ledger done? Pissed in his tea?

Why is Lithgow a stone overweight in fkn October?

Time for Strapp and Russell to line up together down our left-hand side?

How long is Ugwu out for?

What caused Oliver to trip over the ball twice in two minutes when he came on? Was it the pitch? Or did he trip over his still flapping gums?

Finally, will Andy Millen get the square go he’s so obviously desperate for? If so, with whom? And who’ll win?

Don't forget the bizarre dropping of Jacobs to the bench, to allow that total imposter Blues to 'run the show' in the middle of the park instead.

He must have the same incriminating pictures of Morton staff members as McGinty did during his ever-present stint in the first team. 

Edited by vikingTON

I feel like Gus has just managed to bloat the squad with mediocre players again, with no significant overall difference to what he inherited. I mean, we could have played Jacobs, McGrattan, and Ledger instead of Oksasen, Allan, and McEntee and there wouldn't have been much difference at all. And, apart from that, players like Muirhead and Blues are still getting starts. 

We're playing Allan and Muirhead in wide positions, who have both been abysmal, but there's no obvious quality waiting to replace them in wide roles. Maybe Mark Russell, if we're playing him further up the pitch, but there's a real lack of creative forward players or wingers. Yesterday was another example that nothing much of significance has really changed since Gus took charge.