Queens v Morton

Fortunate in one sense to get a point from that rancid display. Unfortunate in the sense that it preserves McPherson and his useless tactics and tombola team selection for a while at least. At least the reception at the end was toxic enough to let him and his wee pets in the team know that toothless draws and eight league games without a win aren't actually the heroic triumphs against the odds they'll portray it as. It's just endless, turgid drivel. 

Don't think that Queens played particularly well but they didn't need to in order to create the bulk of the chances in the game and have what looked like a solid penalty claim denied. 

It was a stonewaller for me watching it on the stream. Junior gets tripped up and Dallas seems in a decent position to give it. One of those I think you get 8/9 times out of 10. 

We were more dominant in the second half but created less chances. Roy and liddle both improved the team when they came on. Need to start putting away chances and avoid the brain fart from the defence every game, the muirhead chance was embarrassing. 

Did they show a replay? You'll have had a better look than me. I just saw Junior fluff the chance and go down. Probably because I expect him to fall rather than score.

Ironic that there was a similar incident with Oliver in the last game.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Did they show a replay? You'll have had a better look than me. I just saw Junior fluff the chance and go down. Probably because I expect him to fall rather than score.

Ironic that there was a similar incident with Oliver in the last game.

There was a replay shown on the stream. 

Lithgow actually probably fouls him because Junior makes an arse of the touch (not uncommon). I’d like to see it again, but he looks to trip him up by putting his foot in front of Junior. Cost us 2 points, but we should have scored at least a couple before that point. 

21 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

MacPherson looking up at the fans at full time with an utterly baffled expression on his face at being booed sums up the level of delusion inside the club about how much of a mess we're in. Hurtling towards relegation with no reasons for positivity whatsoever, but let's applaud a battling point or some bollocks while we're 8 without a win.

Millen - again - actively looking to get involved with supporters is even worse. If anybody at Cappielow actually reads on here, please have a word.

Embarrassing.

Hamilton and Russell the only two who did anything of note for us. MacPherson at least gets some credit for the shape being a bit better in the second half… but grinding out draws looks like the absolute limit for this team under him.

Expect him to get until the Hamilton game nonetheless… grim stuff.

2 hours ago, Frankie S said:

So frustrating watching this Queens team. Like the Ayr game last week, we’ve made a number of very good chances (without playing particularly well today so far tbh), but we’re completely blunt up front. Connelly apart, there just seems to be very few goals in this team. Seems like we have to create at least half a dozen good chances to take one. Not sure how Cameron missed his chance, looked easier to score. Keep on thinking we’ll eventually start taking some of our chances, but being so profligate in front of goal, we’re always vulnerable to a sucker punch.

Are Queens worse up front than you would expect for Championship longtermers or might you have been spoiled by having Dobbie for years?

I know I keep saying it but pitch is an apology for a playing surface at professional level. Every game follows a similar pattern with ball bouncing all over the place leading to kick and rush football which is extremely sore on the eyes.

Poor result and when you continually drop points against other bottom half rivals it means that you really need to start getting results against more fancied teams. That said most teams look the same and on that surface I defy any team to look particularly effective.

Thought Roy looked good when he came on - rest of forwards looked as if they could have played all day and never scored.

It didn't look a hell of a lot better at home but at least it was warm. Crap game but I thought we improved with Liddle and Roy coming on. Apart from height not sure what Cameron offers to be honest, much prefer to see Paton getting a run.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Fortunate in one sense to get a point from that rancid display. Unfortunate in the sense that it preserves McPherson and his useless tactics and tombola team selection for a while at least. At least the reception at the end was toxic enough to let him and his wee pets in the team know that toothless draws and eight league games without a win aren't actually the heroic triumphs against the odds they'll portray it as. It's just endless, turgid drivel. 

Don't think that Queens played particularly well but they didn't need to in order to create the bulk of the chances in the game and have what looked like a solid penalty claim denied. 

Yeah, that's fair enough I think. I thought we edged it as the better side but it was far from a great performance and we didn't do enough to force a win. Our best chances all came in the opening half hour probably. In the end we're grateful for a horrendous miss from Muirhead in the last minute of the first half or we maybe lose.

Gibson was unlucky with the free kick, Connelly should score the rebound but took too long to sort his feet out. Cameron's missed an absolute close range sitter it looked like. Connelly cut inside and put another excellent chance wide. Keeper made a decent save from Johnston's shot. Ruben looked like he should have had a penalty when going for the header but was probably not helped by the fact that the cross was too far away from him and Dallas was probably reluctant to give it. That said when Muirhead burst through just before the break he's got a simple task to finish it and screwed it up. It's also a red card if he had chosen to go down because he was being pulled back.

Second half was a wee bit more even. Our closest effort came when Hamilton fumbled a long range Gibson effort but presumably caught it again before it crossed the line since nobody seriously claimed for a goal. I couldn't tell from where I was. At the time I didn't think from my angle the second penalty claim on Ruben was a foul but talking to others with a different angle afterward they were very clear it was a foul and most of the Morton fans on here have said it was one. Ruben himself was absolutely fizzing that he wasn't given a penalty for it. Camera angle should show it better than I had. Ally Roy looked sharp when he came on and if he's now fit enough to start I'd be starting him on Tuesday. He gives a bit of pace and mobility and also has the knack of sticking the ball in the net! The two big guys in front of Connelly approach isn't really working in terms of goals at least. No surprise that I saw it differently to many but I thought Ben Liddle had a really positive effect on the game when he came on too. Got himself involved at both ends. He did brilliantly to work an opening down the left with Ally Roy when Roy just failed to pull it back to him.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Millen - again - actively looking to get involved with supporters is even worse. If anybody at Cappielow actually reads on here, please have a word.

Him trying to stare out the attractive fan who told Gus to f**k off at half time was genuinely embarrassing. 

Him running over at full time to find that sexy b*****d is insulting. He's just saw his team luck their way to a 0-0 draw with not a single chance created and his first thought is "I'm away to find that handsome devil who told me to f**k off" is pathetic.

32 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I know I keep saying it but pitch is an apology for a playing surface at professional level. Every game follows a similar pattern with ball bouncing all over the place leading to kick and rush football which is extremely sore on the eyes.

I think this is correct and it certainly isn't an excuse for Morton's performance today. We're dreadful most weeks on all surfaces.

That pitch was an absolute nick today and looked like the teams were playing on an old, untreated, 4G council facility. No excuse for Lithgow letting the ball bounce as he did continually, given his experience of a similarly wild pitch at Livingston for years.

It could have been a bowling grass pitch and both sides could have struggled, but there were points today when it clearly didn't help either side to create chances. 

33 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Poor result and when you continually drop points against other bottom half rivals it means that you really need to start getting results against more fancied teams. That said most teams look the same and on that surface I defy any team to look particularly effective.

Thought Roy looked good when he came on - rest of forwards looked as if they could have played all day and never scored.

Not sure if it is the pitch but Palmerston has seen the lowest number of goals in the league so far this season. We’ve scored 2 in 5 games and the overall total is 7. Dunfermline are the next lowest on 10 (they’ve also scored 2). Raith have the highest overall total of 21, although they have played a game more. The average for the division is 13.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

46F21BC4-B1E7-4749-84B3-46E64B09C331.thumb.jpeg.f5b9333c47b1b196630afeab97e08c41.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Yes, I'm coming round to this view.

For a while, my instinct was to defend the impact of having a plastic pitch, because I thought people overstated it and that decent football was possible.

As this one is playing just now though, there really is no defending it. 

Again, I'm not making excuses for some of the very basic errors we're seeing, but I think there's no doubt that the bounce is too hard and high and it's exaggerating flaws in our team that need no such assistance to be apparent.

It's certainly not entirely down to the pitch that we're so bloody difficult to watch, but it is playing a part in that.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Embarrassing.

Hamilton and Russell the only two who did anything of note for us. MacPherson at least gets some credit for the shape being a bit better in the second half… but grinding out draws looks like the absolute limit for this team under him.

Expect him to get until the Hamilton game nonetheless… grim stuff.

Surely if/when we get beat on Tues, its curtains. 

Atmosphere will be toxic.

McT can't risk subscriptions being cancelled if they fail to act.

18 minutes ago, madton said:

Surely if/when we get beat on Tues, its curtains. 

Atmosphere will be toxic.

McT can't risk subscriptions being cancelled if they fail to act.

We’re odds-on to get beat on Tuesday; a shoeing might tip it over the edge, but I’ve got a feeling he might get two more chances to pull a win from somewhere.

Other thought after actually watching a game in person today is that we should be careful about assuming another manager will necessarily make a big difference: if we can’t get Reilly (properly) fit and playing alongside Ugwu, we’re going to struggle, full stop.

We’re odds-on to get beat on Tuesday; a shoeing might tip it over the edge, but I’ve got a feeling he might get two more chances to pull a win from somewhere.
Other thought after actually watching a game in person today is that we should be careful about assuming another manager will necessarily make a big difference: if we can’t get Reilly (properly) fit and playing alongside Ugwu, we’re going to struggle, full stop.

Nah, Partick are 11/10...