Queens v Morton

I can't believe SD is bringing McShane into a discussion involving  Tosh and Kerr.  Imo  McShane was just above adequate, a good bit below the quality of the other two. Neil McFarlane probably fits better into the level of Tosh and Kerr. 

As for Kerr's leaving, what bugged me most was that it appeared a move to Falkirk was already happening in the background when he had his strop.  The business at the time seemed to be done pretty quick anyway. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I've maybe forgotten something then. Right enough I can recall the lighter thing. I think our fans were just a bit full of themselves generally at that point and took offence that one of our best players had left us to sign for a St Mirren team who had finished below us in the league. Was it not back at the stage when 1st Division football was a novelty and we were still getting 2,000+ for home games. They probably thought it was a step down for him!

Possibly. But I do remember O'Neill bringing up the way he exited when he rejoined as I say. If it was a case of a player just leaving for a bigger club then I doubt he would have to explain that decision. Regardless of their position I think 99% of QoS fans would have respected St Mirren were a far bigger club. 

I think the rumour was he stormed out on Connolly and it wasn't the most gracious of exits. 

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I've maybe forgotten something then. Right enough I can recall the lighter thing. I think our fans were just a bit full of themselves generally at that point and took offence that one of our best players had left us to sign for a St Mirren team who had finished below us in the league. Was it not back at the stage when 1st Division football was a novelty and we were still getting 2,000+ for home games. They probably thought it was a step down for him!

Both are sold in the club shop. Certainly at the start of the season they weren't being sold in person by sellers as part of the Covid protocols outside the ground. I assume there's nothing to stop that now though. I think it's probably mainly because there aren't actually that many programmes produced now for there to be any point sending kids out selling them.

It wasn't a kid who used to sell them to people outside the East Stand and Portland turnstiles, doesn't have to be kids. Not everybody approaches via the Arena side so won't go into the shop. I appreciate the reason behind not printing so many programmes, I've not bought one in years, but the club is losing out on some income not selling 50/50 tickets where almost all of the crowd now has to enter the ground. 

16 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I can't believe SD is bringing McShane into a discussion involving  Tosh and Kerr.  Imo  McShane was just above adequate, a good bit below the quality of the other two. Neil McFarlane probably fits better into the level of Tosh and Kerr. 

As for Kerr's leaving, what bugged me most was that it appeared a move to Falkirk was already happening in the background when he had his strop.  The business at the time seemed to be done pretty quick anyway. 

Meh, you didn't particularly rate Dykes either. Your opinion doesn't have to be the same as mine. 🤷‍♂️ McShane wasn't anywhere near as good as Tosh (nobody was) and I already said Kerr was better. McShane would be our 3rd best of the last decade or so though unless I've forgotten anyone in that sort of role.

MacFarlane wouldn't even be in a discussion about mdifield "quarterbacks" who pick passes and set up play. He wasn't that kind of player. He was the kind of player who breaks up play and stops the opposition and he was very good at it but if you want to discuss Macfarlane then we should be comparing him to the McKenna's, McColligan's and Jacobs' of the world, not the likes of Kerr and McShane.

39 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Both are sold in the club shop. Certainly at the start of the season they weren't being sold in person by sellers as part of the Covid protocols outside the ground. I assume there's nothing to stop that now though. I think it's probably mainly because there aren't actually that many programmes produced now for there to be any point sending kids out selling them.

I think it’s perhaps about time you had a programme and 50/50 halftime draw ticket seller situated at the side of the stadium where everyone enters along with perhaps the club shop. 

It was very much part of the match day experience meeting the young programme seller outside the main stand gates and purchasing draw 50/50 tickets & programme before lockdown. 

Hope you can organise something please. 

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

So QoS fans get to re-sign Mark Kerr, programmes on sale at the ground, and a 50/50 draw; we get the three points?

It's a deal.

Unless McPherson falls on his sword at the final whistle regardless, no deal. 

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

McShane would be our 3rd best of the last decade or so though unless I've forgotten anyone in that sort of role.

It was all too fleeting and again involved a grubby departure, but Harkins offered some of that for a while, although pretending he'd always been crap and lazy became quite fashionable thereafter.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

It was all too fleeting and again involved a grubby departure, but Harkins offered some of that for a while, although pretending he'd always been crap and lazy became quite fashionable thereafter.

Fair-ish point. Harkins was genuinely inventive and far more capable of genius than the others, albeit only for around 5 months or so. I wouldn't have said he occupied the sort of "quarterback" role I was describing though. He was more in the sort of role Lee Connelly occupies now, behind the front men rather than a deep lying midfield one like Kerr, McShane and, at least partially, Tosh did.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Fair-ish point. Harkins was genuinely inventive and far more capable of genius than the others, albeit only for around 5 months or so. I wouldn't have said he occupied the sort of "quarterback" role I was describing though. He was more in the sort of role Lee Connelly occupies now, behind the front men rather than a deep lying midfield one like Kerr, McShane and, at least partially, Tosh did.

I wouldn't see McShane as a "quarterback".  His main attribute was that he made himself available, looked to receive the ball and was keen to drive us forward.  He didn't often unlock things for us though, outside of a briefish purple patch which preceded another ordinary spell before he left.

Get this McShane pish in the sea also... a fud of a football player, plastic hardman, and all-round 'imagine going out in public with those eyebrows' dickhead.
Rarely can a guy have so thoroughly deserved to wash up in the Juniors by the age of twenty-eight.

"Wash-up"? He'll likely be on more money than anyone in our squads.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

"Wash-up"? He'll likely be on more money than anyone in our squads.

Aye, generally speaking when someone goes down the levels that far that young, I’d have thought ‘washed-up’ was about right.

No idea what Darvel are paying him, but, if you’re right, they’ll also be washed up pretty soon…

Aye, generally speaking when someone goes down the levels that far that young, I’d have thought ‘washed-up’ was about right.
No idea what Darvel are paying him, but, if you’re right, they’ll also be washed up pretty soon…

I think if we offered him a deal he'd still have been with Darvel. I don't think his current level has anything to do with his ability.

20 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t know why but I was always under the impression that Kerr wasn’t rated by QOS fans and they were glad to see him go.

Yep, as others have also said in response, Kerr was very decent for QOS.