Queens v Morton

The movable object meets the (very) stoppable force, in a dress rehearsal of our glamour TV cup clash. 

As Queens can actually score real, actual goals I'll go for a home win and a substantial shame game aimed at McPherson (home fans: feel free to join in). But if Oliver has scheduled this as his one game to turn up in during the second quarter, then we might win instead. 

This will be my first actual game since before Covid: I'll take either a rousing away win, featuring fast-flowing attacking football from players desperate to save their manager's skin... or a shame game for the ages, with MacPherson hounded by the both the away and home support and sacked by 6 p.m.

Anything in between can gtf.

Already looking like a must not lose game, AJ to set us up in a negative formation and us to lose. 

Wouldn’t mind seeing 3/4 changes to the starting 11, thought East has been unlucky of late. Would keep the 3-4-1-2 and go with 

Brynn

Gibson

McKay

Nditi 

East

Cooper

Todd

Cochrane

Connelly

Roy (if fit, if not Ruben)

Cameron

I am also a realist and fully expect to see Max Johnston stinking out the right wing back position for 90 minutes on Saturday. 

Edited by Broony88

15 hours ago, Broony88 said:

Already looking like a must not lose game, AJ to set us up in a negative formation and us to lose. 

Wouldn’t mind seeing 3/4 changes to the starting 11, thought East has been unlucky of late. Would keep the 3-4-1-2 and go with 

Brynn

Gibson

McKay

Nditi 

East

Cooper

Todd

Cochrane

Connelly

Roy (if fit, if not Ruben)

Cameron

I am also a realist and fully expect to see Max Johnston stinking out the right wing back position for 90 minutes on Saturday. 

Max will play he has the key name in Johnston can't see Josh losing his place even after that crazy tackle at  to gift Ayr a pen .

Would like us to go a 4-4-2 get Fizpatrick and Connelly wide get balls into the box for Cameron and Ruben but none of the above will happen .

3 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Max will play he has the key name in Johnston can't see Josh losing his place even after that crazy tackle at  to gift Ayr a pen .

Would like us to go a 4-4-2 get Fizpatrick and Connelly wide get balls into the box for Cameron and Ruben but none of the above will happen .

Certainly hope not.

Think I might drive to the ground, wait for the Morton team to be announced, and not bother going in if MacPherson persists in trying to get width from wing-backs who aren't wing-backs.

QoS will almost certainly set up in some version of 3-5-2; I've checked the Coaching Manual, and it states quite clearly that this should be countered/exploited by getting two players high and wide. If he sets up to make it one v one on the flanks, we'll get beat. You'd think a man heading for the sack would realise this and do something else, but let's see.

Edited to add: if he persists in playing Strapp anywhere other than left-back, he should get his jotters for that alone.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

19 minutes ago, Flash said:

As Queens have scored 2 goals in 4 home league games and Morton have scored 1 in 5 away games, I’m going for 6-5 Morton.

It's happened before *... anyone else at that mental game in 2002 played in torrential rain and a hurricane on a mudhole?!

As to this weekend, if we stick to a 3-5-2 Debayo should start despite his recent form.  East is decent as part of a back 4 but just as error-prone as Debayo in a back 3.  If we go 4-4-2 I'd like to see a back 4 of Gibson, McKay, Nditi and Cooper...

...which won't happen as AJ would almost definitely keep Gibson in midfield and play his son at right back if he goes with a back 4.  🤦‍♂️

*ETA 6-5 to Queens on that evening.

Edited by Slipmat

Can't see us play a back four, and nor should we. Notwithstanding Debayo's aberration on Saturday, we've looked far better in a five than a four (indeed if Mr X is correct we'd switched to a four before the goal anyway. Can't say I'd noticed.

I like Gibson in midfield to be honest. He's better than Johnston at right back too and indeed he's better than Cooper at left back but he can't play everywhere. I like him pulling strings in midfield. It's not really about whether Johnston is better than Gibson (he's not) but whether Gibson / Johnston leaves us better overall than say McGrory / Gibson or Liddle / Gibson, etc. I'm not sure there's a great deal in that but Max does give us a bit more height in a team that is generally not very tall. That said Cameron does that now too and if nothing else won nearly every header into our own box at set pieces on Saturday.

All that said, it was partially needed due to Todd having been out injured / not fit enough to start recently. If he is fit enough that changes the dynamics again as he can play that role and release Wullie to wing back again.

Wonder if we'll persist with two big men up top ahead of Connelly or if Ally Roy may get a start now he's fit? Also given Connelly went off with an injury of some sort on Saturday hopefully it's not that serious or it changes things again. He's clearly been our most likely source of a goal in the last month or so.

Is there any news on Connelly? Was he just taken off as a precaution on Saturday or anything to really worry about. 

I thought Paton might be playing a more prominent role in the team but he seems to be last resort on the subs bench. For me he'd be coming on before Fitzpatrick anyway. I can't recall but did Fitzpatrick make any contribution at all when he came on on Saturday? 

6 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Fitzpatrick hasn’t done anything since being back to warrant a start, if Todd is fit he must come back in to the equation. Preferably in centre midfield and let Gibson get back to right wing back. I wouldn’t back Ruben to score if he got on the end of any of these crosses anyway. Would rather him doing the donkey work like he was on Saturday. 

3 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Think I might drive to the ground, wait for the Morton team to be announced, and not bother going in .........

I feel your pain sir, I feel your pain.  A wonderful opening line which surely captures the agonising essence of supporting second tier fitba' in Scotland. 👍

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Also given Connelly went off with an injury of some sort on Saturday hopefully it's not that serious or it changes things again. He's clearly been our most likely source of a goal in the last month or so.

I did wonder if he'd been injured when he was taken off ...... thought to myself AJ can't surely be that daft ...... ?

I think every post from us is Gibson back out wide but we know who will play there on Saturday. I also think Cochrane needs to be dropped as he has been below standard and I must admit the boy does not look fit. We have Liddle Todd fit why not give them a chance in the middle of park see if it gives Cochrane a kick up the arse. McGrory and Paton seem to have fallen out the picture at this time. Fitzpatrick does not deserve a jersey, he does not work off the ball and creates very little when he has it. I would like to see Debayo at LWB at some point as he has pace and a good delivery. He has never played CB at senior football. Cooper has done okay. Cameron and Roy has to be the pairing this weekend and get them to play close together and further up the park. The problem is we are playing a Morton side struggling for results and could become a battle. But no matter what any of us think AJ will play his boy and still play Gibson in the middle. 🤯🤯

I think every post from us is Gibson back out wide but we know who will play there on Saturday. I also think Cochrane needs to be dropped as he has been below standard and I must admit the boy does not look fit. We have Liddle Todd fit why not give them a chance in the middle of park see if it gives Cochrane a kick up the arse. McGrory and Paton seem to have fallen out the picture at this time. Fitzpatrick does not deserve a jersey, he does not work off the ball and creates very little when he has it. I would like to see Debayo at LWB at some point as he has pace and a good delivery. He has never played CB at senior football. Cooper has done okay. Cameron and Roy has to be the pairing this weekend and get them to play close together and further up the park. The problem is we are playing a Morton side struggling for results and could become a battle. But no matter what any of us think AJ will play his boy and still play Gibson in the middle. [emoji2962][emoji2962]

I have to admit I haven't seen Cochrane do much wrong for us. I don't think he's been close to great for us either mind you but I think his past/potential is maybe singling him out for a bit of harsh criticism. I wanted Liddle to get some game time previously but from what I've seen so far I don't think he's done any more than Cochrane so far. McGrory can feel hard done by as he hasn't really done much wrong in the middle.

Personally I'd like to see McGrory, Todd and Cochrane in the middle. We seem to have a range of decent options in the middle of the park for once but we don't seem to be getting too much from them as a unit. The sooner AJ stumbles on to a winning formula the better.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I have to admit I haven't seen Cochrane do much wrong for us. I don't think he's been close to great for us either mind you but I think his past/potential is maybe singling him out for a bit of harsh criticism. I wanted Liddle to get some game time previously but from what I've seen so far I don't think he's done any more than Cochrane so far. McGrory can feel hard done by as he hasn't really done much wrong in the middle.

Personally I'd like to see McGrory, Todd and Cochrane in the middle. We seem to have a range of decent options in the middle of the park for once but we don't seem to be getting too much from them as a unit. The sooner AJ stumbles on to a winning formula the better.

I've not been a great admirer of Cochrane since he came here and wanted to give Liddle a chance, sadly I don't think Liddle has shown to be any better than Cochrane from what (admittedly little) I've seen if him so far. If Gibson is to be kept in midfield to accommodate Max J at rwb, I'd hope that AJ will get Todd, if fully fit, in beside him.