First Quarter Thoughts

Amazing how one player or two can skew the numbers…remove MacDonald (36) and Berra (35) and we drop by 2.1 years…but MacDonald and Tait (19) and we only drop 0.3. I guess it shows how almost all the Championship starting sides are full of players predominantly in the 23-27 range, as the young talent gets bled off quickly and the older players slide down a league or two. It also makes the achievements of players like Gibson and Berra all the more impressive.
I didn’t look, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the starting keeper is, on average, the oldest player in the league.
Is for us

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Amazing how one player or two can skew the numbers…remove MacDonald (36) and Berra (35) and we drop by 2.1 years…but MacDonald and Tait (19) and we only drop 0.3. I guess it shows how almost all the Championship starting sides are full of players predominantly in the 23-27 range, as the young talent gets bled off quickly and the older players slide down a league or two. It also makes the achievements of players like Gibson and Berra all the more impressive.

I didn’t look, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the starting keeper is, on average, the oldest player in the league.

Arbroath   Ayr United   Dunfermline   Hamilton   Inverness   Kilmarnock   Morton   Partick Thistle QoS   Raith Rovers  
Name Age Name Age Name Age Name Age Name Age Name Age Name Age Name Age Name Age Name Age
D Gaston 34 A McAdams 22 O Fon Williams 34 R Fulton 25 M Ridgers 31 Z Hemming 21 J Hamilton 27 J Sneddon 24 S Brynn 20 J MacDonald 35
C Hamilton 29 M Fjortoft 27 J Edwards 21 S Want 24 D Devine 29 D McGowan 30 O McEntee 20 K Holt 28 P McKay 24 K Benedictus 29
J Thomson 34 J Baird 25 A Comrie 24 K MacDonald 28 S Allardice 23 E Murray 27 A Lithgow 33 O Akinola 22 J Debayo 24 L Dick 26
T O'Brien 30 N McAllister 20 V Gaspuitis 27 M Popescu 28 K Broadfoot 37 B Haunstrap 24 L Strapp 21 L Mayo 21 H Cochrane 20 C Berra 36
R Little 32 P Reading 22 M Connolly 29 L Matheson 19 R Deas 21 J Naismith 27 K Jacobs 30 R Foster 36 R Nditi 21 R Tumilty 24
M McKenna 30 A Muirhead 31 D Thomas 25 M Redfern 18 M Gardyne 35 B Alston 29 T Allan 22 C Smith 26 W Gibson 37 R Matthews 25
L Henderson 25 C Salkeld 22 D Pybus 23 R Hughes 22 R McAlear 19 S McGinn 32 C Blues 23 S Bannigan 29 M Johnston 17 D Tait 19
J Craigen 30 J Maxwell 19 R Dow 30 M Virtanen 22 R McGregor 19 F Murray 22 J Oksanen 20 S Tiffoney 23 A Cooper 29 B Spencer 25
S Stewart 25 A Murdoch 26 P Allen 21 L Smith 21 S Welsh 31 R McKenzie 28 G Reilly 28 S Docherty 28 L Connelly 21 A Connolly 26
D Hilson 28 J Afolabi 21 C Wighton 24 J Mullin 29 S Sutherland 30 C Hendry 24 J Knowles 20 Z Rudden 21 R Junior 21 D Zanatta 24
J Nouble 25 T Adeloye 25 K O'Hara 23 A Ryan 27 B McKay 32 O Shaw 23 G Oliver 26 B Graham 33 I Cameron 21 E Varian 20

42 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Is for us

But not generally per table above. Dunfermline's oldest player is their keeper. Arbroath's joint oldest player too. Rovers isn't but only because Berra plays. MacDonald is next. Generally though keepers aren't that old. Average age of the starting keepers last weekend was 27. Sol Brynn is the youngest at 20 but half the keepers in the league are 25 or less.

On 17/10/2021 at 00:50, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

If you call Rovers lager and add lime, that'll be Rovers tops.

See the source image

Wtf is this pish?

Lager tops is lager with a skoosh of lemonade at the top. Lager with lime is called, well, Lager and lime.

Please delete.

A pleasing first quarter for Thistle, no doubt it could've been better but for a newly-promoted side I think it's been good although not overwhelming. In the majority of the games we've won we've been excellent, some of the football we've played so far has been sensational to watch and the forwards (namely Rudden, Graham and Tiffoney) all seem to have really good understanding of each other and therefore are able to provide lots of goals and opportunities for each other. I think it's taken Ian McCall a while to get the balance and best XI correct, it still doesn't seem right that Kyle Turner (of whom I'm a big fan of) isn't a starting regular in the side at the moment. The defence has had a fair few issues, spells in games where they just collapse or individual errors being costly, but again I think McCall has finally found that Akinola-Mayo are the best partnership for central defence. I don't think we'll win the league, simply because I don't think we'll have the winning consistency. I reckon we'll continue being pretty entertaining but possibly struggle when it comes to seeing out a 1-0 or 2-1 victory (all our victories bar the one v QOS on opening day, have been comfortable 3-0, 4-0 or even 6-1 wins...all games where we could have scored far more than we did too). 

Imo the best team we've faced is; Inverness by some distance - although only judging on the 2nd half up there as we definitely had the better in the first, they just seem to have a winners mentality and are getting the best out of some fairly average players just now, so much credit to the management. Kilmarnock may win the league still but I felt they played a pretty rank style of football at Firhill and were particularly boring to watch - they got the 3 points though and that might be how it goes for them all season. 

The worst side we've faced was probably Hamilton, who just looked diabolical in the 2nd half last week with no leadership in the team. I think they'll probably be down near the bottom unless some of the young players can hit form or they recruit some good players in January. 

Special Mention to Arbroath - they were terrific against us and if they do manage to finish in a Top 4 space then Dick Campbell & players deserves all the credit that will come their way. Consistency throughout the season may be their only concern. 

10 hours ago, JagsCG said:

A pleasing first quarter for Thistle, no doubt it could've been better but for a newly-promoted side I think it's been good although not overwhelming. In the majority of the games we've won we've been excellent, some of the football we've played so far has been sensational to watch and the forwards (namely Rudden, Graham and Tiffoney) all seem to have really good understanding of each other and therefore are able to provide lots of goals and opportunities for each other. I think it's taken Ian McCall a while to get the balance and best XI correct, it still doesn't seem right that Kyle Turner (of whom I'm a big fan of) isn't a starting regular in the side at the moment. The defence has had a fair few issues, spells in games where they just collapse or individual errors being costly, but again I think McCall has finally found that Akinola-Mayo are the best partnership for central defence. I don't think we'll win the league, simply because I don't think we'll have the winning consistency. I reckon we'll continue being pretty entertaining but possibly struggle when it comes to seeing out a 1-0 or 2-1 victory (all our victories bar the one v QOS on opening day, have been comfortable 3-0, 4-0 or even 6-1 wins...all games where we could have scored far more than we did too). 

Imo the best team we've faced is; Inverness by some distance - although only judging on the 2nd half up there as we definitely had the better in the first, they just seem to have a winners mentality and are getting the best out of some fairly average players just now, so much credit to the management. Kilmarnock may win the league still but I felt they played a pretty rank style of football at Firhill and were particularly boring to watch - they got the 3 points though and that might be how it goes for them all season. 

The worst side we've faced was probably Hamilton, who just looked diabolical in the 2nd half last week with no leadership in the team. I think they'll probably be down near the bottom unless some of the young players can hit form or they recruit some good players in January. 

Special Mention to Arbroath - they were terrific against us and if they do manage to finish in a Top 4 space then Dick Campbell & players deserves all the credit that will come their way. Consistency throughout the season may be their only concern. 

Last couple of games without Nicky Low and Nouble being fit have shown us up a wee bit. Nicky Low be back soon and Nouble be here till January, pretty sure we’ve got what seems like a good replacement lined up on paper so we will see. 

I’m thinking

Raith / Killie / ICT / Partick top 4 and going for title

Arbroath and Dunfermline mid table, yes I know...

Hamilton / Ayr / Qots trying to avoid play off 

Morton bottom 

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Last couple of games without Nicky Low and Nouble being fit have shown us up a wee bit. Nicky Low be back soon and Nouble be here till January, pretty sure we’ve got what seems like a good replacement lined up on paper so we will see. 

I’m thinking

Raith / Killie / ICT / Partick top 4 and going for title

Arbroath and Dunfermline mid table, yes I know...

Hamilton / Ayr / Qots trying to avoid play off 

Morton bottom 

Yip, I think your prediction of the final placings won't be far wrong. Although I'd bracket the bottom 4 together and not necessarily strand Morton in 10th just yet. As you indicate, Dunfermline will get themselves out of their current mess and into mid table safety with Arbroath.