Jump to content

David Amess MP murdered


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Not necessarily. It's too early to make that claim. Plenty of politicians have been killed or attacked for non-ideological motives. US President Garfield was killed by someone miffed at not getting promoted. Spencer Perceval was killed because he was annoyed at not getting personally compensated by the government. Ronald Reagan was shot by some loner who was obsessed with Jodie Foster. Nigel Jones was attacked by some mentally ill guy with a samurai sword.

I can't realistically see why someone would murder an MP as they conduct a constituency surgery for any reason other than an ideological motive, whatever that may have been. The guy has quite clearly set out to kill him. 

Whilst thankfully rare, every other murder of a serving MP in Britain other than Perceval's had an ideological motivation behind it. Irish Republicanism and White Supremacy, to be precise. I'll be surprised if this one doesn't too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Not necessarily. It's too early to make that claim. Plenty of politicians have been killed or attacked for non-ideological motives. US President Garfield was killed by someone miffed at not getting promoted. Spencer Perceval was killed because he was annoyed at not getting personally compensated by the government. Ronald Reagan was shot by some loner who was obsessed with Jodie Foster. Nigel Jones was attacked by some mentally ill guy with a samurai sword.

Airey Neave MP (car bomb at the Houser of Commons), Sir Anthony Berry MP (Brighton bomb) and Ian Gow MP (car bomb at home) were murdered by the IRA.

I don't recall any Parliamentary memorials being erected in their memory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

 

Thats genuinely a lot of shite, the police have no influence over court reporting and if people are put in prison for something like that its a matter of public record. Id suggest that actually its quite well known that fixated persons are attracted to royals, mp’s and prominent people and with a bit of personal insight into the advice given and police response to such threats I can safely say that tweet is entirely inaccurate. That said I wouldnt be highlighting such issues if i was an MP because all that lightbulb seems to do is attract more moths. 

53 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

The Times is stating that the guy is foreign, but so far, the police have noted that he hasn't been using language indicative of a terrorism motivation, while continuing to investigate.

Of couse, that's under the headline 'Terror police investigate extremism link to killing of David Amess MP', to give the exact diametric opposite impression to the one that the story actually says, but that's the news media for you.

CT policing would always take the initial role in that, its not exactly surprising given his role/status. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Left Back said:
Man of African appearance being led away is being reported on the BBC news.  Right wing nutters will be having a field day.

19% of the continent are white ffs.

Unless you are seriously arguing Mo Salah is white I don't think that is correct. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I can't realistically see why someone would murder an MP as they conduct a constituency surgery for any reason other than an ideological motive, whatever that may have been.

Think a person may claim political motivation, but to kill another human in this manner indicates mental instability is a factor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Think a person may claim political motivation, but to kill another human in this manner indicates mental instability is a factor.

Indeed.  It might be something as simple as he’s got mental issues and has had some kind of knock back like been denied housing and he’s lashed out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Think a person may claim political motivation, but to kill another human in this manner indicates mental instability is a factor.

I don't necessarily disagree with this. Anyone murdering another person with a machete isn't right in the head, in my opinion. 

I guess we'll soon see what the motivation was and why it happened. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I can't realistically see why someone would murder an MP as they conduct a constituency surgery for any reason other than an ideological motive, whatever that may have been. The guy has quite clearly set out to kill him.

MPs are in positions of power and surgeries are often held for people with personal issues relating to central government bureaucracy. It's not a huge stretch for someone disgruntled over a pending bankruptcy or a failed planning permission application or dealings with the health services to take it out on the nearest such representative to hand - their local MP.

And to aid your limited imagination with the sorts of non-ideological motives people have for launching murderous attacks on politicians, I helpfully listed a bunch of them - actually real examples, not merely realistic ones - including one case where an MP was attacked in their surgery by a mentally ill person, who succeeded in murdering their aide. You can start there.

Edited by Aim Here
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Left Back said:
Man of African appearance being led away is being reported on the BBC news.  Right wing nutters will be having a field day.

What a fucking statement for any organisation to make never mind the BBC. What exactly do they mean, I think we all know but to describe a black person as being of "African appearance" in this day and age is a shocker. 19% of the continent are white ffs.

Not even 19% of the population of South Africa - the whitest country in the continent - is white.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Airey Neave MP (car bomb at the Houser of Commons), Sir Anthony Berry MP (Brighton bomb) and Ian Gow MP (car bomb at home) were murdered by the IRA.

I don't recall any Parliamentary memorials being erected in their memory.

That's a complete non sequitur. Plenty of politicians have been attacked over non-ideological reasons. You listed three that were killed for political reasons - and you missed out Robert Bradford, not to mention Airey Neave wasn't killed by the IRA.

 

In any case, what does this irrelevant aside have to do with anything I said?

 

Edited by Aim Here
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

I don't necessarily disagree with this. Anyone murdering another person with a machete isn't right in the head, in my opinion. 

I guess we'll soon see what the motivation was and why it happened. 

 

Just a machete? Are there alternative weapons that would be more acceptable to you?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

 

71475_normal.jpg

Funnily enough, that was the first film I thought of too.

Then I went for this instead.

 

305AA8C0-44A0-406E-BE5E-96E0C3BB081F.jpeg
 

Both a bit old to pass for 25.

Edited by Scary Bear
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
12 minutes ago, Aim Here said:
Not even 19% of the population of South Africa - the whitest country in the continent - is white.

If you class Arab, Berber, etc. as white then it's possibly correct.

DLJyglKW4AA4i1B.jpg

Here to help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Airey Neave MP (car bomb at the Houser of Commons), Sir Anthony Berry MP (Brighton bomb) and Ian Gow MP (car bomb at home) were murdered by the IRA.

I don't recall any Parliamentary memorials being erected in their memory.

Why don't you start a crowd funder for it ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

That's a complete non sequitur. Plenty of politicians have been attacked over non-ideological reasons. You listed three that weren't - and you missed out Robert Bradford. What does this irrelevant aside have to do with anything I said?

 

I'd forgotten about Bradford. All of the MPs who were murdered after Spencer Percival (1812) before Jo Cox (2016) were killed by Irish Republicans. Are you saying that their motives were non-ideological?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tommy Carcetti said:

Why don't you start a crowd funder for it ?

Jo Cox's memorial at the House of Commons did not require crowd funding.

Are you saying that similar memorials for MPs who were murdered by the IRA should not be funded by Parliament?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...