David Amess MP murdered

ICTChris

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I always think the most horrifying part is when you realise your number is up.

As unpleasant as this attack was, I think sitting on a ledge in WTC, fully conscious, perfectly healthy and having to decide to jump or burn.

In the stabbing situation you might be so engaged in defending yourself, albeit in abject terror that the thought of dying doesn't sink in until you're almost gone.

How many times have you been killed?

We should probably start another thread for ‘worst ways to die’.

12 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I wonder what the aftermath of this will bring. You would think maybe security guards for surgeries. For all politicians get grief, you can’t have nutters/terrorists killing them.

You're never going to stop nutters, irrespective of what precautions are taken.

It should also be remembered that the country has a population of over 60 million and while this is a terrible tragedy it's certainly not "the norm" and knee jerk reactions are not going to help anyone.

Just give it a year though when inflation really kicks in, the strikes all start and our logistics issues come to a head, THEN things might start to get really interesting and it could very well be the politicians that are on the receiving end of much of the outpouring of rage and frustration.

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I always think the most horrifying part is when you realise your number is up.

As unpleasant as this attack was, I think sitting on a ledge in WTC, fully conscious, perfectly healthy and having to decide to jump or burn.

In the stabbing situation you might be so engaged in defending yourself, albeit in abject terror that the thought of dying doesn't sink in until you're almost gone.

Burning is a decent shout. 

Getting stabbed to death is still rather grim. 

4 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:
7 minutes ago, Detournement said:
Looking at his voting record he voted for war in Iraq and Libya and also for all the Cameron austerity policies.
A fair old bodycount on him.

Stabbing too good for 'im

I don't know about that but there's no point in denying that the guy contributed to a massive amount of human misery. 

Edited by Detournement

34 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I can't think of a worse way to go than being stabbed to death. 

Wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

24 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You've opened a can of worms now. I can think of loads, but maybe a bit too soon.

Tortured and gang raped but that's by the by 

The Times is stating that the guy is foreign, but so far, the police have noted that he hasn't been using language indicative of a terrorism motivation, while continuing to investigate.

Of couse, that's under the headline 'Terror police investigate extremism link to killing of David Amess MP', to give the exact diametric opposite impression to the one that the story actually says, but that's the news media for you.

Man of African appearance being led away is being reported on the BBC news.  Right wing nutters will be having a field day.
What a fucking statement for any organisation to make never mind the BBC. What exactly do they mean, I think we all know but to describe a black person as being of "African appearance" in this day and age is a shocker. 19% of the continent are white ffs.

16 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Man of African appearance being led away is being reported on the BBC news.  Right wing nutters will be having a field day.

Find it hard to believe they phrased it that way, unless it was a direct quote from a bystander on camera/microphone.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

You're never going to stop nutters, irrespective of what precautions are taken.

It should also be remembered that the country has a population of over 60 million and while this is a terrible tragedy it's certainly not "the norm" and knee jerk reactions are not going to help anyone.

It's the second murder of an MP in just over 5 years. Rare or not, it is a massive stain on the country and, unfortunately, a reaction is needed. This is never acceptable, but in a first world country, it is a complete outrage.

Cox was murdered by a far right killer and now you've had this one with motivation currently unknown, although it will certainly be a political one. Both were going about ordinary constituency business, only to end up dead because of a lunatic and a grievance. I don't know if Amess had been subject to any specific threats recently, but have no doubt there are many others that have been. They may have been fortunate to end up at the hands of a keyboard rage merchant, but people that will actually commit these acts exist.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

It's the second murder of an MP in just over 5 years. Rare or not, it is a massive stain on the country and, unfortunately, a reaction is needed. This is never acceptable, but in a first world country, it is a complete outrage.

What do we do ? 

British politics has become completely polarised (some would say deliberately so).  We have a populist, right wing government led by a cheat, liar and coward, supported by a horrific right wing press that on a daily basis prints propaganda and lies. 

Millions of people feel disenfranchised because of the UK's archaic first past the post system that allows one party to control the whole country with around 35% of the total vote. 

Politically, this country (the UK) is absolutely fucked because those in power, want to hold onto power and there is absolutely no mechanism to change something that has been in place since the 18th century. 

Social media fuels frustration and bitterness and we end up with terrible events like today.  The UK is truly a failed society, in a political sense. 

13 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Cox was murdered by a far right killer and now you've had this one with motivation currently unknown, although it will certainly be a political one.

Not necessarily. It's too early to make that claim. Plenty of politicians have been killed or attacked for non-ideological motives. US President Garfield was killed by someone miffed at not getting promoted. Spencer Perceval was killed because he was annoyed at not getting personally compensated by the government. Ronald Reagan was shot by some loner who was obsessed with Jodie Foster. Nigel Jones was attacked by some mentally ill guy with a samurai sword.

11 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Cox was murdered by a far right killer and now you've had this one with motivation currently unknown, although it will certainly be a political one. Both were going about ordinary constituency business, only to end up dead because of a lunatic and a grievance. I don't know if Amess had been subject to any specific threats recently, but have no doubt there are many others that have been. They may have been fortunate to end up at the hands of a keyboard rage merchant, but people that will actually commit these acts exist.

What happened today is extreme, however normal people don't attack anyone with a Machete or even know how to get hold of one.

I honestly don't think it's the serious problem that the media are making out, with regards the political bickering being the driver behind it, in fact I'd say politics now is much less heated than it was during the Thatcher era, of that there can be little doubt.

It's just the sad  reality that Emergency workers are regularly attacked, Doctors and Nurses are regularly attacked, Job centre workers are regularly attacked and even ordinary shop workers, this is obviously high profile but as I say it's just society and you're always going to get these sort of nutter sadly.