David Amess MP murdered

ICTChris

Yesterday’s awful events aside for just a moment, It’s a pretty poor indictment of the current level of political discourse in this country. Is this where we find ourselves, openly calling our opponents Scum?

6 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Yesterday’s awful events aside for just a moment, It’s a pretty poor indictment of the current level of political discourse in this country. Is where we find ourselves, openly calling our opponents Scum?

I think if you were going to criticise anything that she said, it would have to be because her words weren’t strong enough.

26 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Yesterday’s awful events aside for just a moment, It’s a pretty poor indictment of the current level of political discourse in this country. Is where we find ourselves, openly calling our opponents Scum?

Indeed.

Or describing the Scots as a verminous race, or talking about Muslims looking like letterboxes, or piccaninnies with melon sliced grins.

Indeed.
Or describing the Scots as a verminous race, or talking about Muslims looking like letterboxes, or piccaninnies with melon sliced grins.
Or, as in the previous video posted on here, having a big laugh about an MPs appeal to moderate language in the house on the grounds of increasing security worries......

27 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I think if you were going to criticise anything that she said, it would have to be because her words weren’t strong enough.

Yup. Nye Bevin in 1948 on the eve of starting the NHS against massive Tory opposition.

No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party that inflicted those bitter experiences on me. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin. They condemned millions of first-class people to semi-starvation. Now the Tories are pouring out money in propaganda of all sorts and are hoping by this organised sustained mass suggestion to eradicate from our minds all memory of what we went through. But, I warn you young men and women, do not listen to what they are saying now. Do not listen to the seductions of Lord Woolton. He is a very good salesman. If you are selling shoddy stuff you have to be a good salesman. But I warn you they have not changed, or if they have they are slightly worse than they were.”

“But after today the weak will be entitled to clamour. After a while the newspapers in the hands of our enemies will give the impression that everything is going wrong. Don’t be deceived, it is then that they will start going right. We are the people to whom the people can complain. I shall be unmoved by the newspapers, but moved by the distress.”

“In 1945 and 1946, we were attacked on our housing policy by every spiv in the country – for what is Toryism, except organized spivery? They wanted to let the spivs loose.”

I actually have family who lived in his constituency.
It's a very weird part of the world (not in a bad way, I actually like it down there).  Whereas much of Southend is a run down chav infested shitehole, Southend west incorporates Leigh on Sea and Westcliff, which are very affluent areas. 
We talked politics once at a family gathering and I asked my cousin why he voted Tory. He just looked at me and said 'what else is there ?'. He didn't mean it in a bad way, he just grew up in an area where he knew hardly anyone who would consider voting for anyone that wasn't Tory. 
Amess had to us what seems like a pretty shaky record. He was unashamedly right wing in his voting habits, but people would have voted for him even if he'd been eating babies. 

My aunt and uncle live in Leigh-on-Sea - my uncle in particular couldn’t stand Amess, not because he was a Tory, but because he was a right wing shitebag of a Tory.

Indeed.

Absolutely, it doesn’t leave much to look up to from our Political leaders does it. Maybe it’s just as I get older, but it does seem that rudeness and crass blundering appear much more prevalent across the board. I find myself switching off after a few minutes of most political ‘discussion’ on the box these days.

32 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Indeed.

We could have a whole thread for quotes from Tories referring to the lower-classes in subhuman terms. Any of them taking offence at receiving it back are being disingenuous. The main difference is that we call them scum for the pain they wilfully inflict on the poor and vulnerable; they call us scum for being low-born and not accruing wealth.

None of this means that they should be killed, but it speaks volumes that it's what so many have immediately jumped on before having any idea about why this happened.

9 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Great quote, and Bevin's speech made a long, long time before the days of social media.

Indeed, though he probably would have settled for the abbreviated “They Tory c***s are lying b*****ds and only in it to fill their pockets. Don’t fucking listen to them”.

15 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Indeed, though he probably would have settled for the abbreviated “They Tory c***s are lying b*****ds and only in it to fill their pockets. Don’t fucking listen to them”.

Just thinking more about that Nye Bevan quote, it's worth remembering that the NHS came into being, thanks to a Labour landslide vote in 1945. These Tory c***s and lying b******s were totally opposed to it.

Ironic is it not, that not so long ago, BoJo  encouraged one and all to get out on their doorsteps and applaud the NHS. 

7 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Just thinking more about that Nye Bevan quote, it's worth remembering that the NHS came into being, thanks to a Labour landslide vote in 1945. These Tory c***s and lying b******s were totally opposed to it.

Ironic is it not, that not so long ago, BoJo  encouraged one and all to get out on their doorsteps and applaud the NHS. 

More recently, minimum wage. Businesses just couldn't afford to raise wages for the paupers, there'd be record shuttering and the economy would tank. So, suck it up and make do. Your hardship is not our problem.

That's because for all of time,
Tories to a person, are shameless creeps. The absolute worst of us.

(ETA: conscious that reads poorly on this particular thread)

17 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

My next door neighbour is a Christian woman from Tehran.

The Iranian Government flogs alcohol drinkers, imprisons Christians, tortures dissidents and  and hangs gay men.

Do you have a problem with that? I do.

My next door neighbour is from Blairgowrie and she has a government with a Home Secretary that thinks it’s a good idea to let women and children drown at sea as it might prevent people from wanting a better life.

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

My next door neighbour is from Blairgowrie and she has a government with a Home Secretary that thinks it’s a good idea to let women and children drown at sea as it might prevent people from wanting a better life.

Mine's Canadian and he's the stereotypical Canadian lovely bloke. Keeps a nice back garden, gives the kids half a ton of sweeties each on Halloween, gets a bit overexcited about hockey. Even owning an Audi Q5 doesn't make him a c**t, which is kinda terrifying TBH. 

Terrible for his family and sympathies with them. But can anyone explain how a committed Xtian can support the death penalty? Same with animal rights and  fox hunting.
I guess like many committed Christians, he was an enormous hypocrite. See also voting against helping the poorest in society repeatedly.

11 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
25 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:
Terrible for his family and sympathies with them. But can anyone explain how a committed Xtian can support the death penalty? Same with animal rights and  fox hunting.

I guess like many committed Christians, he was an enormous hypocrite. See also voting against helping the poorest in society repeatedly.

I hope I'm wrong but I just see opportunists when it comes to these views.

32 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

“AN EYE FOR AN EYE!” Really, though, the Bible can justify just about anything if you want it to.