David Amess MP murdered

ICTChris

Sir David Amess MP was one of the good guys. He was rightly mocked, at the time, for being fooled by Chris Morris but the CAKE episode revealed him as an MP with a genuine concern for his constituents. One of the few to follow through with their words. No wonder he never made it into cabinet. He'll be  remembered as a staunch defender of civil liberties and a dedicated public servant.. Sadly, as a result of this incident it will become increasingly difficult to have meaningful contact with our elected representatives.

16 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Imagine being a tory councillor in Cowdenbeath.

He has a look of the C'Beath Loyal about him.

Place as changed, used to be Communist hotbed in the day.  Yes, it's world news, even Al Jazeera did a piece on the RED town.

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2014/11/9/uk-communists-and-the-fall-of-the-berlin-wall

3 hours ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

He'll be  remembered as a staunch defender of civil liberties and a dedicated public servant.

Whilst it's terrible that he was murdered, he tried to ban abortion outright and was opposed to LGBT rights.

Guest Bob Mahelp
19 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Anyone looking at his voting record two days ago would probably have correctly filed him away in the "typical Tory right wing c**t" box. He doesn't suddenly become a great guy because of yesterday. A horrible and undeserved way thing to happen of course, but I won't be shedding any tears or displaying any faux sympathy for a guy who consistently voted to keep the rich rich, the poor skint, was against tenants' rights, wanted a ban on abortion and was opposed to LGBT rights. 

I actually have family who lived in his constituency.

It's a very weird part of the world (not in a bad way, I actually like it down there).  Whereas much of Southend is a run down chav infested shitehole, Southend west incorporates Leigh on Sea and Westcliff, which are very affluent areas. 

We talked politics once at a family gathering and I asked my cousin why he voted Tory. He just looked at me and said 'what else is there ?'. He didn't mean it in a bad way, he just grew up in an area where he knew hardly anyone who would consider voting for anyone that wasn't Tory. 

Amess had to us what seems like a pretty shaky record. He was unashamedly right wing in his voting habits, but people would have voted for him even if he'd been eating babies. 

Blaming political rhetoric as the encitement behind events such as this is just so ridiculous, especially when most of us know that it's 99% pantomime.

Politics in this country has become like the weigh in press event at a boxing match, the American Wrestling or the alleged "hatred" between old firm players, ie, it's made up and staged nonsense to create publicity or provide a story where none exist.

We all know that they're mates with each other, went to UNI or public school together and generally have a "bond" which goes way beyond who they're representing or who's paying them.

It really is pathetic.

5 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's a very weird part of the world (not in a bad way, I actually like it down there).  Whereas much of Southend is a run down chav infested shitehole, Southend west incorporates Leigh on Sea and Westcliff, which are very affluent areas. 

We talked politics once at a family gathering and I asked my cousin why he voted Tory. He just looked at me and said 'what else is there ?'. He didn't mean it in a bad way, he just grew up in an area where he knew hardly anyone who would consider voting for anyone that wasn't Tory. 

Amess had to us what seems like a pretty shaky record. He was unashamedly right wing in his voting habits, but people would have voted for him even if he'd been eating babies

Sadly I think that’s the case with a lot of Tory voters in England. They don’t seem to ‘know any better’ other than to vote for them. It’s just the known thing to do. 

Whereas in Scotland, Wales and NI, Tory voters seem to have more reason to do so, what with the alternative being nationalist/republican parties. You don’t have that option in England. It’s them or Kier Starmer 😂

11 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Blaming political rhetoric as the encitement behind events such as this is just so ridiculous, especially when most of us know that it's 99% pantomime.

Politics in this country has become like the weigh in press event at a boxing match, the American Wrestling or the alleged "hatred" between old firm players, ie, it's made up and staged nonsense to create publicity or provide a story where none exist.

We all know that they're mates with each other, went to UNI or public school together and generally have a "bond" which goes way beyond who they're representing or who's paying them.

It really is pathetic.

It really is pathetic, but unfortunately that 1%, (and I think it's much higher than that) can still wreak havoc, whenever they bloody well feel like it.

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

This belief/attitude is why the country is so fucked.

It's not a pantomime. 300-400 right wing arseholes supported by a couple of thousand fellow travellers in the background vote for benefit cuts and sanctions and the direct result is death for tens of thousands and misery for millions. 

Politicians need to be understood to be culpable for their actions. 

28 minutes ago, Detournement said:

This belief/attitude is why the country is so fucked.

It's not a pantomime. 300-400 right wing arseholes supported by a couple of thousand fellow travellers in the background vote for benefit cuts and sanctions and the direct result is death for tens of thousands and misery for millions. 

Politicians need to be understood to be culpable for their actions. 

That's a democracy for you. These people are voted in to power (using our voting system) by the majority of those who choose to vote, so they're only doing their bidding as it were.

Apart from that, it all becomes a bit clouded when the leader of the so called "party of the working classes" is more right wing than many of his Conservative party opposition.

Over and above all this and taking Scotland as an example, we have many of those people who have "had their benefits cut" and been "sanctioned" etc who have actually voted and publicly support the party responsible, due to nothing other than the Football team that they support.

While we have situations like that, then I'm afraid there's really little hope.

Amess had to us what seems like a pretty shaky record. He was unashamedly right wing in his voting habits, but people would have voted for him even if he'd been eating babies. 

The voting habits/records are misleading. These are used pretty much weekly by the opposition at Westminster to gain political points but have no grounding in legislation or legitimacy. For example Labour can bring forward a motion each week during a day debate to say they condemn the government's record on austerity and put forward a bland motion to, for example, increase nurses pay, without having to detail how it should be paid for, how much they should be given or provide a cost analysis etc. This will then go to a vote which the Conservatives will obviously vote against and the motion will be defeated. The opposition and political activists or commentators can then later say that a random Tory MP voted against awarding nurses a pay rise and score a political point, knowing full well that they never had the power or expectation that the vote would go through.

Ultimately voting records are used as a political weapon but aren't a true indication of the views or work of an individual MP.